Speaker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adjutant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie
Engine
Hey all,
I am putting either Alpine S2-s69c, or Alpine R2-s69c in my front doors. The R2 sounds much better, they are worth the extra $170

My question is about their ratings are 85 watts RMS for the S2, and 100 watts RMS for the R2.

I am using an Alpine Optim8 that provides 50X6 and 300X2.

Will I get the better sound out of the R2 if I am only putting 50 watts to them? Is 50 watts under powered for a 100 watt speaker?

I hope this question makes sense

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Sound quality isn't going to change with the wattage that you're putting to it. You better realize that even though that amp puts out 50 watts RMS that is only at one specific frequency at full volume. You're not feeding 50 watts to those speakers all the time. The speakers themselves are just capable of handling that much wattage , they will never see that amount of wattage constantly and in reality there's a very slim chance they'll actually see that wattage at all.

OP
OP
A

Adjutant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie
Engine
Thanks so much for the explanation. I was just really impressed with the sound quality of the R2 vs. the S2.

I wasnt sure if I would need more than 50 watts to really allow them to "come alive", if they are rated for 100 watts.

Im not a "blow your ears out" car audio guy. I just want clean, clear, "true" sound out of my speakers. I told the installer that Im looking for the "Dolby Digital" effect that you hear at the beginning of a movie in the theatre. When they run all the effects through the theatre to "show off" Dolby. I know its a difference in stereo vs. 5.1

Obviously, Im a novice at car audio.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had my truck for 10 months. I can count on one hand the times I've actually turned the radio on. I really like quiet when I'm driving. Probably why I have an ex-wife.;)