2016 Ecodiesel engine question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
Hey, so I am just putting in a new engine into my 2016 Eco diesel. First engine blew up with 135,000 miles. This is a brand new factory engine and I am just wondering if anyone has had issues with their new engines. This engine is supposed to have all the upgraded components in it but I was just wondering if they actually fixed the problems or just put Band-Aids on them. I don’t want to have to drop another $15,000 on an engine in half a year

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see these things blow up all the time dont know know the exact cause I just see them on facebook alot I am sure others will chime in I assume the new engine comes with a warranty no?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I see these things blow up all the time dont know know the exact cause I just see them on facebook alot I am sure others will chime in I assume the new engine comes with a warranty no?
No beings the truck had some parts fall off they won’t warranty the new engine

Thomas52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I own a Limited 2022 Eco Diesel, under 60000 miles. The front crankshaft seal is cracked, leaking oil. I understand that this failure is on account of the crankshaft. Ram has no replacement crankshaft. If and when the seal comes in, the truck will be down for a few days. They tell me that if they see damage to the crankshaft, the engine will have to be replaced. The seal does not go bad by itself. The damage is caused by a bad crankshaft. I am trying to find out if Ram actually improved the engine, replacing the defective crankshaft in the 2022. I suspect not, since they are discontinuing the Eco Diesel. The engine is around $15000. Here in Texas, there have private company has is a rebuild for $9000. Replacing the bad engine with a rebuild cancels Dodge Ram warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The front crankshaft seal is cracked, leaking oil. I understand that this failure is on account of the crankshaft. Ram has no replacement crankshaft. If and when the seal comes in, the truck will be down for a few days. They tell me that if they see damage to the crankshaft, the engine will have to be replaced. The seal does not go bad by itself. The damage is caused by a bad crankshaft. I am trying to find out if Ram actually improved the engine, replacing the defective crankshaft in the 2022. I suspect not, since they are discontinuing the Eco Diesel.
You make an assumption based on misinformation. There's no known defects with the crankshaft, and yes the EcoDiesel in the DT body truck is the third generation of the engine. Very few problems have been reported with the Gen3 version. The crankshaft seal failures are rare for both engine generations. Any shaft seal has the potential to fail, unfortunately your's drew the short straw. About the most common oil leak problem is the timing chain cover leaks, usually the covers are resealed or sometimes replaced.
The shift away from EcoDiesel platform had to do with the onset of the EV trucks and Hurricane I-6 engine. Even the Hemi is going away for the same reasons.

Thomas52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The link I supplied has videos on the crankshaft. Scroll down the link to find the videos. The dealership is trying to get a new crankshaft seal. If they cannot find the seal, they will have to replace the engine.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the seal a bast ard size?

Wow, of course the word b a s t a r d is censored, but the word t a r d is censored? Un-fricking believable.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The dealership is trying to get a new crankshaft seal. If they cannot find the seal, they will have to replace the engine.
Have the check the Fel-Pro TCS46220

Thomas52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Have the check the Fel-Pro TCS46220
Good to know, but then Dodge Ram cannot replace a Mopar part without canceling the warranty (that is not the part warranty; it is the truck's warranty).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357