High Output Fog Light With Additional Side Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 4th gen RAM 1500 has two LED's siliconed into each front fog light for the purposes of acting as white sidelights (this is a UK road requirement). The lamps have failed and need replacing. As opposed to siliconing in replacement lamps and having to do the same again once they fail, does anyone know of any quality and high-output fog lights (i.e. similar in functionality to a light bar) which have secondary lights built-in which can be wired up as sidelights?

Attachments

• RAM Fog 002.jpg
    RAM Fog 002.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 50
  • RAM Fog 003.jpg
    RAM Fog 003.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 49

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW, I am no help. I have never seen ne thing wired in like U mention. I'm sure the gear heads on here can suggest. Never had that light problem in GE when I was there, just the crazy inspectors under vehicles banging them with a hammer looking for rusted out so they can deny inspection.

Also, :welcome: to the group. I only made it to England once, LOL.

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW, I am no help. I have never seen ne thing wired in like U mention. I'm sure the gear heads on here can suggest. Never had that light problem in GE when I was there, just the crazy inspectors under vehicles banging them with a hammer looking for rusted out so they can deny inspection.

Also, :welcome: to the group. I only made it to England once, LOL.
It's a bit of a bodge, in my opinion. But many of the imports are wired up this way. I'd much rather something smarter which looks more OEM and is obviously easier to replace the lamps when needed.

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure about that as I don’t run that. I’ve got one high output fog light per side in an off-road bumper. You could try searching as I only linked that as an idea.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need a running light of sorts? Like it doesn't actually light things up? Could you just wire in an additional bulb on the side of the bumper or something?

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need a running light of sorts? Like it doesn't actually light things up? Could you just wire in an additional bulb on the side of the bumper or something?
Pretty much, yes. Something which is a little neater than what has already been installed is ideal.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something like this instead?- Fog lights
Way too much light. He is looking for a side maker light option. That side light in States would be yellow, I guess white required in England.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 4th gen RAM 1500 has two LED's siliconed into each front fog light for the purposes of acting as white sidelights (this is a UK road requirement). The lamps have failed and need replacing. As opposed to siliconing in replacement lamps and having to do the same again once they fail, does anyone know of any quality and high-output fog lights (i.e. similar in functionality to a light bar) which have secondary lights built-in which can be wired up as sidelights?
DID U try contacting FCA UK and see what they got ref lighting and possible side marker requirement? Maybe they got something that is OEM for a Fog Light/Side marker requirement to comply with UK lighting requirements.

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something like this instead?- Fog lights
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm not sure why @turkeybird56 thinks these would be yellow? Is there something I'm overlooking?

How would I go about wiring up the DRL as a side marker light? There's only one wire from the DRL portion of the light, would I simply ignore the ground coming down from the OEM side lights? That doesn't quite make sense to me though.

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DID U try contacting FCA UK and see what they got ref lighting and possible side marker requirement? Maybe they got something that is OEM for a Fog Light/Side marker requirement to comply with UK lighting requirements.
RAM's are grey imports, the FCA won't have anything UK specific.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm not sure why @turkeybird56 thinks these would be yellow? Is there something I'm overlooking?

How would I go about wiring up the DRL as a side marker light? There's only one wire from the DRL portion of the light, would I simply ignore the ground coming down from the OEM side lights? That doesn't quite make sense to me though.
You could run the DRL wire to your parking lights. Unless those need to be on all the time- I'm not sure exactly what the requirements are for the lighting. The ground could probably just ground to the truck or to the light ground. I'm not an expert here though lol.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not 100% sure but look in the Alfaobd thread for programming daytime running lights? I think you can program the fog lights at low output for daytime running lights.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could run the DRL wire to your parking lights. Unless those need to be on all the time- I'm not sure exactly what the requirements are for the lighting. The ground could probably just ground to the truck or to the light ground. I'm not an expert here though lol.
Just stating, stateside, by NHTSA, front markers have to be yellow. England and other places a lil different, as the OP states they have to be white in the front.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not 100% sure but look in the Alfaobd thread for programming daytime running lights? I think you can program the fog lights at low output for daytime running lights.
Maybe, but I do not do alpha obd, but he needs marker lights on the side, fogs not do, they R just another running light to the front.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And hide it behind the grille somewhere?
I am not anyway up on yer transportation codes in UK. You would have to research and see exactly what is says ref side markers in front. There are bound to be dimensions, height requirements, minimum and such, U just gotta do the research there, so U know exactly what requirement U have to meet. But I think those lights or something close, since they R marker lights would be sufficient, and since U already have the wiring there from the ones that do not work, should be good. U just got to check and see what the transportation code requires there. I could tell you TX, but why, lol...