Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Gross, yea man **** while there is gettin to be had. Once section 8 happens the values drop, but eventually come back up over a long ass period of time so it's not worth it. Especially if you have to live there, it's hell.

Hopefully they get those tires worked out for you since it's not really that odd an size to balance. I guess as long as you keep an eye on those springs should be alright, but if they sag any further I'd probably swap em out just to play it safe.
I'm staring at it right now, depending on how I park it's full saggy diaper unloaded. Wtf.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I feel like I over analyze his thing, but the amount of sag vs the free length of those coils can't be good. I mean hell they were like 3" longer than bilstein coils.....and I'm sitting about .5" taller. 4bdab2302ea89f28f8ecaffd07fa8f19.jpg

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
1st pic passenger side from the back
2nd pic driver side from the back
3rd pic passenger from in front of rear tire.

Seems like excessive coil bow....like they look not happy 5f048c36bd26edf33d91f067e79fee85.jpg0bccf6e0f8ea14d1648383d783489e06.jpgc924f0f92125c3ecd30213213688572e.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yea I ain't feeling too hot about how those are looking under there... Looked like that one post they snapped between the stages. Minimum I'd keep an eye on it closely.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea I ain't feeling too hot about how those are looking under there... Looked like that one post they snapped between the stages. Minimum I'd keep an eye on it closely.
Wonder if I need to clock them 180* now I kinds just want to return these and get a spacer like
@ram1500rsm it's weird, leading up to recently these coils were holding their lift, now after looking into it a bit you're right, these things have sagged back to where I was with the bilsteins.

Not keen on a 3" longer coil being squashed this much.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wonder if I need to clock them 180* now I kinds just want to return these and get a spacer like
@ram1500rsm it's weird, leading up to recently these coils were holding their lift, now after looking into it a bit you're right, these things have sagged back to where I was with the bilsteins.

Not keen on a 3" longer coil being squashed this much.

Yea those coils were stupid long based on all the posts I've seen compared to the Billsteins. To see them that sagged is concerning, minimum rotate them to see if it straightens out. If you can get your money back it might be a safer long term choice. Has me wondering what the hell they made them out of...

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea those coils were stupid long based on all the posts I've seen compared to the Billsteins. To see them that sagged is concerning, minimum rotate them to see if it straightens out. If you can get your money back it might be a safer long term choice. Has me wondering what the hell they made them out of...
I ordered mine from desert rat, I have an account with them from my jeep days. I'll have to reach out to them. I might be S.O.L though. After I get tires done I'll take a better look at them in the day time.

That 1" daystar spacer is pretty expensive @ 129$

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ordered mine from desert rat, I have an account with them from my jeep days. I'll have to reach out to them. I might be S.O.L though. After I get tires done I'll take a better look at them in the day time.

That 1" daystar spacer is pretty expensive @ 129$

Damn. That's a bit steep for some poly. My steel ones are pretty cheap and run them between the truck and the factory isolators. Haven't had any noise yet, but I was thinking of swapping to the Daystars if I ever need to.

https://www.topguncustomz.com/i-254...spacer-rear-2009-2018-dodge-ram-1500-4x4.html

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'd be interested in how the falcon stops work out. You could also try something like the blue (Softest) sumo spring foam stops and playing with how much stop extension you run in conjunction with them if it's something you want to fine tune. Got the idea from looking at the Boogie Stops from Thuren for HD's. Everyone I've heard from that has the softer sumo springs says they engage pretty softly and then stiffen up as they compress so it might be decent idea for a progressive stop. It would be nice if someone made a kit mount up hydraulic stops to our trucks, but I haven't seen anything off the shelf.
Just to throw an option out there regarding bumps, well that is if you don’t mind minor fab if needed. I had the wheeler bumps on my old Tacoma and they were amazing. Was planning on adding them to my Ram sometime in the future.

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Damn. That's a bit steep for some poly. My steel ones are pretty cheap and run them between the truck and the factory isolators. Haven't had any noise yet, but I was thinking of swapping to the Daystars if I ever need to.

https://www.topguncustomz.com/i-254...spacer-rear-2009-2018-dodge-ram-1500-4x4.html
That’s the daystar 1” spacer I ended up going with on top of the icon coils. I initially went with a metal 1.5” spacer but the voice in the back of my head kept nagging at me to swap to a poly spacer.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That’s the daystar 1” spacer I ended up going with on top of the icon coils. I initially went with a metal 1.5” spacer but the voice in the back of my head kept nagging at me to swap to a poly spacer.
I'll have to check out those bumps now. I don't mind having to burn a little wire to upgrade. As of now I'm only sittin at 40" in rear. I honestly don't mind the height, I still have some rake, my bigger concern is these coils were long as **** and with all the sag I'm getting close to alot coil bind, especially at full compression. I'm not a big fan of spacers, but id rather that than end up with a coil snapping because of the weird bend in conjunction with all the coil bind. It looks like a pissed off slinky right now.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Might just Jack the ass of the truck up as high as I can and mess with the coils, if i can even get them free, I really don't feel like pulling the flares off and the liners out

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll have to check out those bumps now. I don't mind having to burn a little wire to upgrade. As of now I'm only sittin at 40" in rear. I honestly don't mind the height, I still have some rake, my bigger concern is these coils were long as **** and with all the sag I'm getting close to alot coil bind, especially at full compression. I'm not a big fan of spacers, but id rather that than end up with a coil snapping because of the weird bend in conjunction with all the coil bind. It looks like a pissed off slinky right now.

Yea man you're sitting at my height with stop extensions... That's a **** ton of sag and way too close to being bound up. Might be able to get them out just jacking up the truck if they don't want to spring back to their original height. That would really be the warning sign right there.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea man you're sitting at my height with stop extensions... That's a **** ton of sag and way too close to being bound up. Might be able to get them out just jacking up the truck if they don't want to spring back to their original height. That would really be the warning sign right there.
Yea im disappointed they sit this much lower, I knew they'd break in but a full inch drop is beat. For now I'm gonna keep my eye on it. If this is where they are gonna stay I'm ok with it. The top 5 winds are effectively dead coils anyway, so it's basically the same as having a spacer on the bilstein coils. For what ill gain vs the amount of work and more money isnt worth it to me right this second. I might do icon coils and a spacer next time around, plus I really want icon C.Os....but i need to save my money...... Idk, you guys know how much I change my mind.

Anyway I had it loaded down with my (4) 315s strapped against the tailgate and they dropped about 1" figure 85lbs a wheel and tire and that's about 350lbs, plus my tool box is loaded out to about 250lbs and I'm not surprised I have these squashed. I'm just done messing with it honestly. The driver side was 1/2 low again, so now things are just messing with me and I'm waving the white flag. I jacked it up and the coils just have too much free length to unseat. They don't look terrible in the day light, I have enough room before I get to coil bind that I'll check it at full comp, but it's not emergency, and the bow in the coils is alright.

Got the tires and alignment done and it's driving nice so right now I'm leaving it. Lol. I need to stop nit picking this thing honestly......

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yea im disappointed they sit this much lower, I knew they'd break in but a full inch drop is beat. For now I'm gonna keep my eye on it. If this is where they are gonna stay I'm ok with it. The top 5 winds are effectively dead coils anyway, so it's basically the same as having a spacer on the bilstein coils. For what ill gain vs the amount of work and more money isnt worth it to me right this second. I might do icon coils and a spacer next time around, plus I really want icon C.Os....but i need to save my money...... Idk, you guys know how much I change my mind.

Anyway I had it loaded down with my (4) 315s strapped against the tailgate and they dropped about 1" figure 85lbs a wheel and tire and that's about 350lbs, plus my tool box is loaded out to about 250lbs and I'm not surprised I have these squashed. I'm just done messing with it honestly. The driver side was 1/2 low again, so now things are just messing with me and I'm waving the white flag. I jacked it up and the coils just have too much free length to unseat. They don't look terrible in the day light, I have enough room before I get to coil bind that I'll check it at full comp, but it's not emergency, and the bow in the coils is alright.

Got the tires and alignment done and it's driving nice so right now I'm leaving it. Lol. I need to stop nit picking this thing honestly......

I'm talking to Nick about Kings right now LOL. After I said I wouldn't spend anymore money =(. The only way I'm justifying it to myself is I need better rears bad and by October I can order the fronts as a "Birthday present". Pretty sure I can live with the current fronts for a few months... Hopefully By then I should be able to grind out enough in bonuses to cover them all the way and then some. Trying to get a discount on Icon rears turned into just saying the hell with it and probably getting what I really want.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Disconnect the sway bar links and trackbar and you may be able to rotate them with the axel extended all the way down, wheels would have to be off. You can always compress them just a smidge If it was needed with the strut compressors. Those suckers are really long so they’re not getting out of there without compressors unless you loosen/ take off the rear control arms :)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Disconnect the sway bar links and trackbar and you may be able to rotate them with the axel extended all the way down, wheels would have to be off. You can always compress them just a smidge If it was needed with the strut compressors. Those suckers are really long so they’re not getting out of there without compressors unless you loosen/ take off the rear control arms :)
Yea, seriously. Stupid things! I need to get out and flex it up a bit, I'm pretty sure that at least my droop will be kick ass. Lol. I'm not sure what direction I'm gonna go yet.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm talking to Nick about Kings right now LOL. After I said I wouldn't spend anymore money =(. The only way I'm justifying it to myself is I need better rears bad and by October I can order the fronts as a "Birthday present". Pretty sure I can live with the current fronts for a few months... Hopefully By then I should be able to grind out enough in bonuses to cover them all the way and then some. Trying to get a discount on Icon rears turned into just saying the hell with it and probably getting what I really want.
I'm not surprised. Buy once cry once my man, we preach it all the time, yet we don't practice it lol. Kings will be sick.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not surprised. Buy once cry once my man, we preach it all the time, yet we don't practice it lol. Kings will be sick.

Lol. Yea the hell with it, I wants em and I've been working my ass off since going back to the W-2 world. Might as well enjoy some of my earnings while the rest go to investments. I'm also probably going to get the sumo springs myself in the Blue category once they go off back order. Hunted around and I'm seeing a few JK guys run them and even saw some posts of little taco's still being able to flex out with the blues in place. It's something more progressive and should be better than the little hard ***** we have factory. If I was going to put in the effort of making something work with Hydraulic stops I'd spend that time on the front.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Lol. Yea the hell with it, I wants em and I've been working my ass off since going back to the W-2 world. Might as well enjoy some of my earnings while the rest go to investments. I'm also probably going to get the sumo springs myself in the Blue category once they go off back order. Hunted around and I'm seeing a few JK guys run them and even saw some posts of little taco's still being able to flex out with the blues in place. It's something more progressive and should be better than the little hard ***** we have factory. If I was going to put in the effort of making something work with Hydraulic stops I'd spend that time on the front.
Consider it a treat lol.

I was looking at those sumo springs, can't find any installed on a rig that does anything but tow tho. My Google fu is weak. I'll call falcon first, should be cheaper than the sumos. My next thing is rear shocks for sure. I'm blowing through the travel in these things, think that might be a bit or my problem too. Not sure what shocks I would run in place of these.