Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So been chasing a weird shake at various speeds, tires balance out perfectly but waa still getting hit with a shimmy from 60-70. Random speeds, random times. Pulled my spacers and it's much better. Idk why, never had any issues with my 17s but it's been an ongoing thing with the 20s. So I'll be selling them and putting them towards fun money. Still not sure why, but a buddy of mine is an engineer and went on an NVH rant. Idk, but it's better, I'll take them to my shop again and have them road force them soon. I couldn't take the shake at the most inconvenient speed possible lol. Boring stuff I know guys.

I Didn't like the super tucked in look with the flares and no spacers.....so I pulled them. Even with big squishy weather stripping they were chewing up my paint again. Not having that so they'll be for sale too. I like the look with a good wheel offset, but i had rocks and all kinds of **** stuck against the paint. So back to a clean simple basic look. As of now the Only thing that aggravates me is this stupid black upper portion of the bumper. Might look into vinyl locally soon just to clean the look up for now. 1b506a4d15eeda030343e21e3586143b.jpg92c09599716ef3782db5b25f017b4040.jpg78f12cc7619465cbf53666238a0db762.jpgd27ca1c6e762af29fcddc365ac40a75f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wabbit goin' down the wabbit hole! You're more OCD than me! its dangerous!

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I went out and pulled the track bar relocation bracket. After putting my tools back in the truck I'm cycling alot of my rear suspension. If I were to run stiffer shocks I'm sure it'd be a non issue as id not be blowing through 5" of shock, but on bigger highway dips I can feel the rear end yaw as it cycles. It's a weird sensation on a smooth highway, i had it on my Cummins with the longer travel front and I am not fond of it. Plus with the height I'm at I really don't need the relocation.

Put both tires with the most weight to the rear in hopes that I feel less of these vibes. Shop is booked out till 28th so I gotta live with it. Bleh

Was fiddling around with the 6112s and I measured the clip dimensions for adjustability. 1/4" increments on preload per position. I really need to get around to trying the top spacer combo like I wanted.

@ram1500rsm how much preload have you put into your kings. I'm curious if I'll notice a difference dropping 3/4" of preload out of these things.

Side note, I have a plug in electric impact, think that's enough muscle to defeat these pigs??

d44e9d495a89080984716b43f8ff1579.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went out and pulled the track bar relocation bracket. After putting my tools back in the truck I'm cycling alot of my rear suspension. If I were to run stiffer shocks I'm sure it'd be a non issue as id not be blowing through 5" of shock, but on bigger highway dips I can feel the rear end yaw as it cycles. It's a weird sensation on a smooth highway, i had it on my Cummins with the longer travel front and I am not fond of it. Plus with the height I'm at I really don't need the relocation.

Put both tires with the most weight to the rear in hopes that I feel less of these vibes. Shop is booked out till 28th so I gotta live with it. Bleh

Was fiddling around with the 6112s and I measured the clip dimensions for adjustability. 1/4" increments on preload per position. I really need to get around to trying the top spacer combo like I wanted.

@ram1500rsm how much preload have you put into your kings. I'm curious if I'll notice a difference dropping 3/4" of preload out of these things.

Side note, I have a plug in electric impact, think that's enough muscle to defeat these pigs??

d44e9d495a89080984716b43f8ff1579.jpg

How much is hard to know because i didn't measure the spring before and after adjusting the collars. But i have them turned literally 2" higher than how they came from the factory as i have 11 full turns on the driver side and 10 on the passenger.

I still have 2.75" of droop past ride height with the wheels in the air so according to their instructions i'm still ok. I think Icon says to keep 2" min, Kings says to have at least 1"

48554815606_668e2b951b_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How much is hard to know because i didn't measure the spring before and after adjusting the collars. But i have them turned literally 2" higher than how they came from the factory as i have 11 full turns on the driver side and 10 on the passenger.

I still have 2.75" of droop past ride height with the wheels in the air so according to their instructions i'm still ok. I think Icon says to keep 2" min, Kings says to have at least 1"

48554815606_668e2b951b_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr
Yea, figured you might have taken note. You are normally on top of the minor details. Lol. Honestly, I just think I miss the feel of a progressive setup. I was spoiled by thuren once and it makes it very hard to be satisfied afterwards. I wish I was able to find a 1500 with a setup to compare to but I'm solo on that around here. I'd run kings if I didn't have to deal with such terrible winter conditions, the salt here makes short work of everything and I won't put 2500$ shocks through that. It's a sin. I have the parts already, and I'm curious, but after losing that battle last time I'm not sure if it's worth tackling. I have 2.5" droop, and it handles what I do well, I just always want more lol. Still need to sort out bump stops and make my mind up on rear shocks... until I do I just don't spend anything and I experiment with what i have.

Saving up for set of aftermarket wheels (17s with 0 offset) and some 35s or 37s this spring so I know I'm giving up a bit, or should i say alot of my ride to the 20s. Gonna order the tazer here soon and adjust my tpms so I can drop to a reasonable psi. And hopefully take the edge off the bumps.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, figured you might have taken note. You are normally on top of the minor details. Lol. Honestly, I just think I miss the feel of a progressive setup. I was spoiled by thuren once and it makes it very hard to be satisfied afterwards. I wish I was able to find a 1500 with a setup to compare to but I'm solo on that around here. I'd run kings if I didn't have to deal with such terrible winter conditions, the salt here makes short work of everything and I won't put 2500$ shocks through that. It's a sin. I have the parts already, and I'm curious, but after losing that battle last time I'm not sure if it's worth tackling. I have 2.5" droop, and it handles what I do well, I just always want more lol. Still need to sort out bump stops and make my mind up on rear shocks... until I do I just don't spend anything and I experiment with what i have.

Saving up for set of aftermarket wheels (17s with 0 offset) and some 35s or 37s this spring so I know I'm giving up a bit, or should i say alot of my ride to the 20s. Gonna order the tazer here soon and adjust my tpms so I can drop to a reasonable psi. And hopefully take the edge off the bumps.

If you're willing to take the drive to the dealer to get your truck pin number from them you can adjust your tpms for literally $120 (ScanTool MX + Alphaobd) assuming you have an Android device, plus you'll be able to also change a couple of things more in your truck accessories with the same software.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you're willing to take the drive to the dealer to get your truck pin number from them you can adjust your tpms for literally $120 (ScanTool MX + Alphaobd) assuming you have an Android device, plus you'll be able to also change a couple of things more in your truck accessories with the same software.

I paid $15 using that locksmith app/service for my pin a while back for other things. Honestly I'd pay up to $40 not to have to deal with the stealerships around here lol. Not to mention the $15 is about what I'd spend in gas to hit the nearest one so the fuel/time savings was worth it imo.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Tucking like Ms. Jenner...

Only kidding, function > form

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea see idk much about all these electronic dongles enough to feel confident knowing I'm buying the one that'll be best for me. I usually set it up and leave it alone, aside from tire changes etc. My dealers aren't bad, nor are they far so it comes down to product per application.

I'd like the edge cts2 display for some extra gauges I don't have, as well as the ability to use it as a switch interface. I need to nerd out and verse myself on these things more. I'm gonna focus on small mods like this for a bit. Tint, add fogs etc. Cheap stuff. If I manage to stay the course I'm on now I'll be able to pay this thing off soon. So if rather that and deal with a dorky looking truck than have all the cool stuff and be upside down. It's hard when I have enough money saved to do whatever I want to the truck, and an online cart full of stuff lol. RESIST THE TEMPTATION

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea see idk much about all these electronic dongles enough to feel confident knowing I'm buying the one that'll be best for me. I usually set it up and leave it alone, aside from tire changes etc. My dealers aren't bad, nor are they far so it comes down to product per application.

I'd like the edge cts2 display for some extra gauges I don't have, as well as the ability to use it as a switch interface. I need to nerd out and verse myself on these things more. I'm gonna focus on small mods like this for a bit. Tint, add fogs etc. Cheap stuff. If I manage to stay the course I'm on now I'll be able to pay this thing off soon. So if rather that and deal with a dorky looking truck than have all the cool stuff and be upside down. It's hard when I have enough money saved to do whatever I want to the truck, and an online cart full of stuff lol. RESIST THE TEMPTATION

who are you trying to convince??? LOL

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
who are you trying to convince??? LOL
Myself! I am proud to say im showing much self restraint from buying guns and truck stuff! The truck has become my hobby....that I drive everyday. So that's why my ocd with it seems bad. If I do something dumb i have to live with it for 3 hrs a day. Makes for a long ride!

I finally got myself into my career far enough I'm able to enjoy the fruits of my labor a bit, so I get excited like a kid in the candy store ......than I come back down to adult land and prioritize

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i don't smoke (anymore) i don't drink to speak of, i don't gamble for money, i cancelled my xbox ultimate subscrip before it started costing me more than a 1.05 per month cause i'm not using it anyway. my only vice is i love good food too much. so i figure spending some money to have fun with my truck can't be all bad, right? right? lol.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
i don't smoke (anymore) i don't drink to speak of, i don't gamble for money, i cancelled my xbox ultimate subscrip before it started costing me more than a 1.05 per month cause i'm not using it anyway. my only vice is i love good food too much. so i figure spending some money to have fun with my truck can't be all bad, right? right? lol.
Same here. I partied hard and fast when I was in my early 20s. I work hard for my money ( currently on coffee break as we speak) so I am way more mindful. But a man's gotta live. My goal is debt free soon, aside from my house. Which is why I put truck stuff on hold. Than I can pick back up the fun.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my house owning days are long behind me after my career was torched 2012 so now i'm just a part time worker for cheap and a part time pensioner so can't have as much fun as i like. have 1/2 ownership in a paid off expensive property but can't sell it for 1 to 3 years and get my money out of it. sort of house rich/cash poor. lol.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Scooped up a set of fox 2.0s that need rebuild on here. Couldn't pass up the deal. When I get them I'll clean them up and get them shipped to accutune. Depnding on what a rebuild and a new set of diesel coils would cost, will dictate what direction I go. I've got too much preload in these 6112s, and it's a shame because they really are a good platform. Just not for my truck.

Still on the fence with what I'm gonna do. Hell, I might pull all my stuff off, except for bilstein rear coils and shocks, throw the 1.5 spacer up front on oem strut and rock out for a little bit and sell everything off. Just get through the winter on a cheapo set up and spend the coin on a nice shock setup like I should have done.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well, yea....i am [emoji16] But at 125$ shipped how the hell can you say no to coilovers! I almost pulled these 6112s out last weekend to sell so I'm st the point I'm ready for a change. Once I see how much a rebuild costs my 6112s will pay for that.

I'm not chasing some offroad dream, I just want this thing to handle the **** roads here better. I cringe at some of the holes I hit. It's no fault of the 6112s, they just aren't ideal for me. Rear shocks and these front coil overs and the swap is done.

Like I said, it's my vice. Plus I can give a good comparison for entry level stuff now!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i saw them. looked like a ton of work to clean them up..then didn't have a clue what the rebuild would cost on top of it. but it sounds like something you're up for!

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
i saw them. looked like a ton of work to clean them up..then didn't have a clue what the rebuild would cost on top of it. but it sounds like something you're up for!
Simple green will clean em right up. Accutune quotes about 100 a shock, plus other stuff. Honestly, its more of an inconvenience than anything for most.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk