Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Another option, get another pair of compressors. I used three at a time to do my Bils. My safety pins wouldnt catch either, so I figured 3 was better than 2.
But holy crap, were you just cranking on them with wrench!?!? That is BRUTAL. I delicately put mine in a padded vise and used my craftsman 19.2v 1/2” impact. I dont think I broke a sweat. Now the passenger upper ball joint was a different story....
Yea, I don't have air tools so I was goin to town with the wrench pictured. I have a big electric impact but its too big to fit on compressors. It looks sketchy but in reality those compressors were wedged in there. I still hate using these things tho. Even more aggravated I didn't accomplish anything.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Seriously this was retarted. Unfortunately my gf wasn't here to give me a ride and I didn't schedule a slot for my buddy's shop. Its not the end of the world, I'd just hoped I could DIY instead of having to spend a day with this. Maybe Saturday ill tear it apart again and have them do it. Maybe I should stop while im ahead..........

Hell if your buddy has a shop I'd just regroup and do it there. Less frustration with the death traps.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hell if your buddy has a shop I'd just regroup and do it there. Less frustration with the death traps.
Well, let me rephrase that. He works for OK4WD. Local like 10 mins from me. But it's still a nationally known shop for those overland nerds with too much money. So I have to schedule and drop them off, which means I need a 2nd vehicle and the truck is down for most of a day, plus it's like 100$/hr for their shop rate. They do great work but man it's farkin hot out and I'm really not sure if this is all gonna be worth the effort. Lol. I might just leave it alone and pawn my **** off on my neighbor. He's got a 2016 as well and tows so the 1.5 level would be perfect for him. Decision decisions. Honestly I've been nit picking this thing as it really does ride awesome and I think I'll feel more difference going back to 17" wheels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Fail fail fail. Tried to adjust these 6112s and they beat me. Reset and tried 3 times to compress this coil to no avail. Maybe if I had an air gun I could run them down farther but by hand it's nearly impossible. The attempt pictured I was able to compress it enough to barely free up the coil off the seat...... Need to get these to a shop to do them but it's not pertinent. May not even bother at this point idk. I hate coil compressors btw. e7a6b2a868a42ecf379755eb17bb8dc7.jpg

By far he scariest/sketchiest tool ever made! Picture with the riot shield is on point, whenever I compress them I try not to even look at it funny in fear it will explode. Compress using a combo wrench :eek:! Should think about investing in a 1/2" high torque 18v impact of your favorite brand, I love my Milwaukee there isn't much on the truck it can't do.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
By far he scariest/sketchiest tool ever made! Picture with the riot shield is on point, whenever I compress them I try not to even look at it funny in fear it will explode. Compress using a combo wrench :eek:! Should think about investing in a 1/2" high torque 18v impact of your favorite brand, I love my Milwaukee there isn't much on the truck it can't do.
Whoever designed these was for sure a ******. A cordless impact and some big ass Jack stands are on my list of "need immediately". It's not often I give up on a project but this one was a crash landing from the start.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whoever designed these was for sure a ******. A cordless impact and some big ass Jack stands are on my list of "need immediately". It's not often I give up on a project but this one was a crash landing from the start.

Just like @revitupmoto33 said...18-20v impact is by far and away the best automotive tool EVER. Especially on suspension etc. You are a BEAST just doing disassembly from the lugnuts forward! Thats like Civil War era surgery....

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just like @revitupmoto33 said...18-20v impact is by far and away the best automotive tool EVER. Especially on suspension etc. You are a BEAST just doing disassembly from the lugnuts forward! Thats like Civil War era surgery....
I'm for sure gonna get one and freshen up my 1/2" drive impact set. I usually use my 2' breaker and longer ratchet, both 1/2" drive so it's pretty easy to make short work of most stuff I'm tearing apart. I had my front end apart on both sides, failed at compressing the strut 3 times, and back together in 3 hours. If I could expedite that I'd be golden. I really really don't want to pay for this strut again. I may grab another set of rental compressors and buy the impact and go to town on this pig with 3 compressors on it.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an expensive set branded MacPherson and a set off of Amazon from china, exact same...big price difference, but I cannot tell physical difference btw the two.
6ton harbor freight jacks, all my impact sockets/ext are the black Pittsburgh brand from HF, abused and used and never broke. Very affordable.
You can disassemble so quick and easy with the 18-20v impact. Remove lugnuts like pit crew, just dont advise running them back onto the studs with the gun!

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have an expensive set branded MacPherson and a set off of Amazon from china, exact same...big price difference, but I cannot tell physical difference btw the two.
6ton harbor freight jacks, all my impact sockets/ext are the black Pittsburgh brand from HF, abused and used and never broke. Very affordable.
You can disassemble so quick and easy with the 18-20v impact. Remove lugnuts like pit crew, just dont advise running them back onto the studs with the gun!
I'll definitely check out HF. I have one not far. Only time I've personally ever noticed a difference was when I used a socket to drive u joints out. The expensive ones don't mar like cheaper ones. I for sure need to do this. It's too hot and my motivation is too little to do this by hand.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Rack is off. I need to cut into it and modify it, it kept filling with water and douching my truck with rust water which stains everything so off it came. Hopefully ill snag up some 285 75s for my 17s this week. Sell these 20s for a few bucks or keep as a spare set. Otherwise ill prob order a tune for the truck and leave it be for the summer. I'd love to get bumpers and stuff but I need to work on my house. 3d02ccfb13e010a229db9ad4d3fa7a35.jpg

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jesus Hodge, I've been off here forna while, came back to over 70 new posts on your thread.

I got my compressors today, same ones you're using lol. Going to chop into my truck in the next couple days.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Jesus Hodge, I've been off here forna while, came back to over 70 new posts on your thread.

I got my compressors today, same ones you're using lol. Going to chop into my truck in the next couple days.
Got a little wild around here. I don't have anything exciting tho. Definitely get an impact to run those compressors down with. You'll hate yoirself otherwise.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a little wild around here. I don't have anything exciting tho. Definitely get an impact to run those compressors down with. You'll hate yoirself otherwise.

I have like 3 different 1/2" impacts haha. To be honest, i hadn't even considered doing them manually to be possible, so good work i guess. Another tip for those is to keep the threads nice and oiled up with like anything youve got around. Fresh motor oil, old motor oil, chainsaw bar oil, gear oil, dirt bike fork oil, astroglide, olive oil, whatever.

Interested in your split the difference strategy as I'd already thought about it myself. Thats the principal that those SST lift kits use kinda.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have like 3 different 1/2" impacts haha. To be honest, i hadn't even considered doing them manually to be possible, so good work i guess. Another tip for those is to keep the threads nice and oiled up with like anything youve got around. Fresh motor oil, old motor oil, chainsaw bar oil, gear oil, dirt bike fork oil, astroglide, olive oil, whatever.

Interested in your split the difference strategy as I'd already thought about it myself. Thats the principal that those SST lift kits use kinda.
Astroglide *****. Always have that **** in the tool box for silicon boots etc, but the looks people give when they see it are worth it.

Ill get around to it, might be after the summer, I'm working so much and the heat hasn't let up so I've got minimal interest in doin it. In my head it may help take a tiny bit of preload "tightness" out of the suspension bit Idk. I really like the way it rides so its not something of necessity. Every now and than ill hit a hole that is cringe worthy but our roads are ****. Once I get the new tires for my 17s mounted up it may be the cush im hoping for. Either way im gonna hold on toget the spacers in case I hang a bumper up front and it gets saggy. I'm out of adjustment anyway and the spacers are only 1" thick so its worth having for the 89$ they cost.

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Astroglide *****. Always have that **** in the tool box for silicon boots etc, but the looks people give when they see it are worth it.

Ill get around to it, might be after the summer, I'm working so much and the heat hasn't let up so I've got minimal interest in doin it. In my head it may help take a tiny bit of preload "tightness" out of the suspension bit Idk. I really like the way it rides so its not something of necessity. Every now and than ill hit a hole that is cringe worthy but our roads are ****. Once I get the new tires for my 17s mounted up it may be the cush im hoping for. Either way im gonna hold on toget the spacers in case I hang a bumper up front and it gets saggy. I'm out of adjustment anyway and the spacers are only 1" thick so its worth having for the 89$ they cost.

I got my rear stuff on today, then rained out (i don't have a garage, i put that ***** on blocks out front my suburban townhouse just to ghetto the neighborhood up a bit). Hoping to get my front stuff on tomorrow. Once the suspensions in i will order 17s with 35s.

Those icons and eibach pro truck rear coils feel loveeely.

Ill do a meaty post in my build thread when i get around to it.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
What wheels and tires you looking at. I was kicking around going back to 315s/35s but I can't justify it. Gonna split the difference with it and go 285 75s on stock 17s for now.

I still want a bumper, just still am not sold on any that I've seen. Just a nice sturdy non winch that doesn't look like ass with recovery points. I mean I'm not asking alot....

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What wheels and tires you looking at. I was kicking around going back to 315s/35s but I can't justify it. Gonna split the difference with it and go 285 75s on stock 17s for now.

I still want a bumper, just still am not sold on any that I've seen. Just a nice sturdy non winch that doesn't look like ass with recovery points. I mean I'm not asking alot....

Wheels and tires are top secret right now. As far as sizes, i wish a 35x11r17 wasnt unicorn status. Ill probably go with 35x12r17.

I thinkkkkk i saw one of those cheap american trucks bumpers we were discussing a while back, in the wild up here. It was on a ram 2500 though so not exact. Had that hollowed out prerunner bar, looked cheapy but i only saw it on a truck that was passing me on the highway so not a good inspection.

Side note on the front suspension im into today... **** this **** man haha. If you find it zen to put those struts in and out, i want your dealer's number cause thats some good ****. What an entire nightmare. Doing the spring compressing and whatnot isnt too terrible but getting those struts in and out of their little pocket on the truck without stretching out the brake lines and trying to balance the knuckle, etc. is awful. Absolutely never doing this again if i can help it lol. Its still not all back together and it started raining on me again right now but the one side is done and its ****** wayyyy up in the sky. 2.8" setting and the thing is monster truck. Im kinda HOPING it will settle a little lower cause it might even have some cali lean going on even with the 1.5" out back. I was expecting to keep some rake and its gotta be level or higher right now.

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

I was about to recommend a bumper like mine, but no recovery points [emoji30] do have cutouts for the stock hooks, though!

Wheels and tires are top secret right now. As far as sizes, i wish a 35x11r17 wasnt unicorn status. Ill probably go with 35x12r17.

I thinkkkkk i saw one of those cheap american trucks bumpers we were discussing a while back, in the wild up here. It was on a ram 2500 though so not exact. Had that hollowed out prerunner bar, looked cheapy but i only saw it on a truck that was passing me on the highway so not a good inspection.

Side note on the front suspension im into today... **** this **** man haha. If you find it zen to put those struts in and out, i want your dealer's number cause thats some good ****. What an entire nightmare. Doing the spring compressing and whatnot isnt too terrible but getting those struts in and out of their little pocket on the truck without stretching out the brake lines and trying to balance the knuckle, etc. is awful. Absolutely never doing this again if i can help it lol. Its still not all back together and it started raining on me again right now but the one side is done and its ****** wayyyy up in the sky. 2.8" setting and the thing is monster truck. Im kinda HOPING it will settle a little lower cause it might even have some cali lean going on even with the 1.5" out back. I was expecting to keep some rake and its gotta be level or higher right now.

Heck, my truck has the Eibach coils AND 5100’s at the 3rd notch, and I’m just barely level. I do have big bumpers on both ends, though...

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was about to recommend a bumper like mine, but no recovery points [emoji30] do have cutouts for the stock hooks, though!

Heck, my truck has the Eibach coils AND 5100’s at the 3rd notch, and I’m just barely level. I do have big bumpers on both ends, though...

Take a peek at my build thread now for some photos.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat