Horn beeps on unlock. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys, 2011 ram 1500 sport with 83k. This issue has only happened twice but I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issue and maybe get an idea of what could be causing it.

Normally when I hit the lock button on my key fob my horn will “chirp” once, which is normal. And normally on unlock there is no horn sound, the doors simply just unlock and the headlights and dome lights illuminate , which is normal.

But 2 times now (both in the last week) after being parked all night, when I walk outside and push my unlock button in my keyfob, the horn chirps 1 time like it would typically do when pushing the LOCK button. Also, this horn chirp seems to be slightly longer of a chirp than what the lock chirp is.... maybe as much as a full second long.

It’s a strange little issue that just popped up . Interested to see who else has ran into this?

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dunno, weak battery in FOB sending wrong signal???
FOB going bad???

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I replaced the fob a couple of years ago through the dealer. I haven’t changed the battery since though. I’ll give hat a shot. I’ve never seen one send the wrong signal before. And strange that it’s still sending the unlock signal but signaling the horn like an unlock signal and and extended horn beep at that. But who knows with all of the electrical stuff in vehicles these days lol

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance the long beep is a signal that the alarm had gone off overnight?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance the long beep is a signal that the alarm had gone off overnight?
Its parked right next to my house with 2 security cameras aimed at it and I am within earshot of it aswell. Alarm has not gone off. So I don't think that's what would cause it. The first time I did it I thought maybe I accidentally hit the panic button at the same time as the lock button but I tried to recreate that scenario and its to much of a stretch to do really and even when I use a finger on each button it doesn't sound the alarm, it defaults to unlocking. So thats not it. I have no other issues with my truck,no electrical gremlins or anything. Its strange. I will try the suggestion of replacing the fob battery but I'm skeptical on how that would alter the signal to produce a unlock sequence with the horn chirp of a lock sequence. And I can unlock my truck at the back of a parking lot from inside a store, So it still has good range. But worth the shot atleast.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the evic there is an optiong where you can turn on a honk on unlock, might try tuning it on and off againg to see if it was a glitch in that software

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the evic there is an optiong where you can turn on a honk on unlock, might try tuning it on and off againg to see if it was a glitch in that software

The option in the evic is only for honk on lock, not honk on unlock. I will however still try turning the option off and back on for the heck of it.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The option in the evic is only for honk on lock, not honk on unlock. I will however still try turning the option off and back on for the heck of it.
Huh, i could have sworn my truck had that as an option, will have to do some investigation tomorrow

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the manual: There is a sound horn with remote also, but nothing ion unlock, at least on MY 19 Bighorn: Maybe a leprechaun got in there, hee hee, dunno, just lots of ideas, but U know what ideas are and people associated: U might end up going back to the dealer and getting a reflash...

1.JPG

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the manual: There is a sound horn with remote also, but nothing ion unlock, at least on MY 19 Bighorn: Maybe a leprechaun got in there, hee hee, dunno, just lots of ideas, but U know what ideas are and people associated: U might end up going back to the dealer and getting a reflash...

View attachment 142312

Everything else seems to be working fine. My horn does sound on remote start and on lock. But the horn beep on unlock the 2 times it has happened is what was concerning to me. I unlocked the truck today and all was fine, no beep on unlock just as its suppose to do. So whatever it is may be a fluke or intermittent. I am still going to change my fob batteries for the heck of it and clean the inside of the fob incase somehow its making a cross contact inside. Also going to disable and re enable the horn on lock settings in my evic. Then I will see if the issue comes back or not.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the best on yer issue.....