Horn, turn signal, steering controls, wipers not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rummit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was driving and all of a sudden the wipers went crazy and turned on, making two swipes then stop again - doing this every 10km or so. I tested the wiper switch and it was not functioning. the multi function switch and steering controls and horn are all not functioning. What could be the issue?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My first instinct says it’s the clock spring in the steering wheel is bad, which is an easy fix. BUT I can’t say for sure that the multifunction switch or the wipers use that. I would check the ground or fuse first. 1 thing you can try is turn the steering wheel a little bit at a time and try the horn. See if it works at any point?? Did your airbag light come on?

OP
OP
Rummit

Rummit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. No airbag light is off. I changed out the multi function switch from a doner vehicle with no improvement. Everything was working for a minute yesterday after the battery was disconnected for 24hrs but went bezirk again without me touching anythig but the horn and multi function switch. I will try the steering turn trick as it makes sense. I changed out the TIPM already with no improvement. I opened the original TIPM and checked the circuit boards-no visible damage found.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check your grounds also. That would be another common point of failure. I’d ask/search for a wiring diagram at this point as well to look for common points/connections between all of that like along the steering column inside the truck. You might have a loose connector or one that needs to be disconnected, blow out the dust, and reconnected??

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. No airbag light is off. I changed out the multi function switch from a doner vehicle with no improvement. Everything was working for a minute yesterday after the battery was disconnected for 24hrs but went bezirk again without me touching anythig but the horn and multi function switch. I will try the steering turn trick as it makes sense. I changed out the TIPM already with no improvement. I opened the original TIPM and checked the circuit boards-no visible damage found.

Did you figure this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m so happy to have my truck back and fixed!

Fuse Number 49!

I swear I checked them all with a test light.

If anyone needs to buy a new clockspring or steering wheel wiring harness let me know32fda2b54bb4fdf1118626d7b621f97a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rummit

Rummit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi I got this sorted by replacing the cluster from a donor vehicle. It worked for a week and then the fuel gauge stopped registering and the low fuel light stays on. Done a cluster test and the gauge moves. I got the OBD scanner plugged in to monitor the fuel level for now. I need to pull the cluster again to see if all is okay in there. are there any other suggestions?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Only thing that comes to mind is clock spring or the TIPM is bad, when friends had TIPM shorting out, wipers did odd stuff, door lock issues etc. TIPM issues are pretty common, like the fuel pump relay going out, but you said you replaced the TIPM. Bad ground or battery can cause odd issues like that too, would check ground first, easy to add on another ground to test it.