Need help with Horn, Wipers, signals wheel control anomalies.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 ram 1500 4.7 gasser that out of the blue start having issues with wipers, turn signals, horn and steering wheel controls. I changed the MF switch and the problem corrected itself for maybe an hour. Replace the TIPM and it appeared as though it was fixed for all of 10 minutes.

What could be my issue. Could this be a clock spring problem. Please chime in with other avenues to correct as this is my daily driver and I’m stumped.

OP
OP
J

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obtw I replaced the TIPM with a $700 rebuild from MAKS

OP
OP
J

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Battery is barely six months old.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery was replaced in Feb.

I’m retired army as well.

Battery failures are the largest root cause of bizarre electrical failures.

Without a recent load test (within hours or days), the age of the battery is completely irrelevant.

Brand-new batteries have been known to have a bad cell that could cause endless grief for our rolling microcomputers.

Although I'm not certain that you have a battery issue, a load test is so easy & simple to remove the variable, testing is just a smart idea.

Most auto parts stores will test for free. A toaster-type tester provides more consistent results
than a digital-type tester but, you get what you get, for free. :cool:

battery load tester.jpg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First, you replaced your TIPM, did that test as bad and when did you do that? Second, your battery was replaced 6 months ago, did that also test as bad? Did your problems listed above start before or after replacing both items? It is important to know because if the problems started before and you are replacing things trying to fix the listed problems then you are on a path to throw more money after bad. If problems started after replacing one or both items AND you did so because of other identified issues where these were required repairs then you might have a more central problem that is cascading into separate symptoms. It is also possible one of your repairs has now caused your current problems.

We all can offer ideas but we need the complete history to know what transpired and when, why things were replaced, and then take this and consider options.

You mention clockspring and that is certainly a possibility because all issues you point to require that device to be functional. You could pull wires and check for continuity when activating each each individual switch but I can't suggest replacing it because there is too much unknown history.