Horrendous sound on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like P/S pump howl, I've heard transmission make that noise when the fluid was low, or the front pump was going out, Its defiantly rotational.

Last edited:

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like P/S pump howl, I've heard transmission make that noise when the fluid was low, or the front pump was going out, Its defiantly rotational.
Yeah, sounds like hydrostatic transmission whine on some of the landscaping equipment I've operated (Toro Dingo, Jacobson, etc) so I would suspect either water pump or power steering pump... something working with fluid.

pugfug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Andrew...I've got a 2017...mine sounds (and always has) exactly the same on cold winter starts. I've had no issues with it...its perfectly normal for the 6.4's....I'm now going in to my 7th year of ownership with zero issues. So all of that is to say....I wouldn't worry about it....I see you are doing all the right things...you've got it plugged in...by the way, for reference, I live in Calgary Alberta...not quite as cold as you guys get...but I've had my share of -35C mornings....Hope that helps put your mind at ease

DudeWalksOnWater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It usually sounds like a loud screeching noise
If its a loud screeching sound you need to check that your belt tensioner is working correctly, and check the belt itself in case it was damaged by road debris. Also, be certain to take it back to the dealer when its really cold. Then if they still tell you they can't find anything, be certain that they recorded your concerns on the service invoice in detail. If anything fails after the warranty is up you can point to that to get it covered.

OP
OP
Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey Andrew...I've got a 2017...mine sounds (and always has) exactly the same on cold winter starts. I've had no issues with it...its perfectly normal for the 6.4's....I'm now going in to my 7th year of ownership with zero issues. So all of that is to say....I wouldn't worry about it....I see you are doing all the right things...you've got it plugged in...by the way, for reference, I live in Calgary Alberta...not quite as cold as you guys get...but I've had my share of -35C mornings....Hope that helps put your mind at ease
Well, that’s good to know. I had a full inspection in November and the belts were fine then. But it’s the extreme cold squeal!

OP
OP
Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If it’s a loud screeching sound you need to check that your belt tensioner is working correctly, and check the belt itself in case it was damaged by road debris. Also, be certain to take it back to the dealer when it’s really cold. Then if they still tell you they can't find anything, be certain that they recorded your concerns on the service invoice in detail. If anything fails after the warranty is up you can point to that to get it covered.
Yes, that’s why it’s going in to the dealer for “just in case” issues happen later on.
Thanks!

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I live in SK and it’s -32 here now I have been stating a 2021 with 47,km on it I have the same howling as yours does on starting it up but have no issues or anything so I really think it’s just the way it sounds on cold mornings I will try and post a video of a cold start up for you to compare. I have a 100km bumper to bumper warranty so not really to worried about it I just let it warm up a good 15- 20 mins before i drive it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
2021 2500 with the 6.4. From 5000 Klms till now at 28,000, if it is parked outside, it is plugged in below freezing, at -30 or less, it too makes the high pitched squeal for a few seconds when it fires up. Doesn't last long enough for me to figure out what is squealing and it isn't parked outside very often so don't hear it much. Interesting to know that it happens to quite a few of the 6.4s.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I had a similar noise in my truck that I chased for quite some time,2-3 sec screech on cold start,usually below freezing temps.I was almost certian it was p/s pump.I ended up changing my low pressure lines and have not heard the noise in several years now.My guess is that it was the o ring on the low sd. on rack.

Hooke Road

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Specific engine components, such as the starter, can be affected by cold temperatures. If the noise is coming from the starter, it may be worth having it inspected to ensure it's functioning correctly.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Specific engine components, such as the starter, can be affected by cold temperatures. If the noise is coming from the starter, it may be worth having it inspected to ensure it's functioning correctly.
I would doubt its the starter, as the noise dosnt begin till after the truck is started.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like it's not been solved yet, I'll say it sounds exactly like PS pump. Fluid is super thick and cold, pump struggles to get it circulating briefly.

Likely not going to cause a big problem, but I like to service that system. Pick out a quality fluid and flush it out. Not sure what yours calls for, most Mopar stuff takes ATF+4 but not all.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck sounds the same. I have not taken a cold start vid yet but will soon.

OP
OP
Andrew Austin

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I had the PS fluid flushed in December and went with Amsoil synthetic. Had no affect on the noise. Still waiting to get in to the dealer. I have sent them many videos to pass on to the mechanics at “head office”. Clearly, no one things it’s too serious.