How do you clean your tonneau cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a low pro tonneau cover and was wondering how you guys clean your covers? Also does anyone out something on them to protect them from sun damage?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Unless VERY dirty, I always used my car shampoo and a boars hair brush to wash. For the hard to clean areas, I'll use an All Purpose Cleaner like Adams APC. For protection you want to make sure the product is water repellant, silicon free so it doesn't attract dirt, and has an SPF so it actually protects the surface.

303 has all these but the water repellency and is a good product, but once it rains, it's gone!

Most OTC products contain Silicon or other products like alcohol that dry out vinyl and plastic (armor all is the most commonly known) Silicon is like a dust sponge! Have you ever seen brown tires? 10-1 it's because they use a silicon product.

There are products out there that meet all the criteria I like to meet.

Adams (forum sponsor) has SVRT which works on Vinyl Rubber and Plastic trim. You'd put it on, let it sit so the vinyl can soak up some LOVE, and then after a bit (more time is better) you'll level it off with a dry towel to fill in the low spots and cut down the high spots. If left too thick, water will make the excess run off on your paint. While it won't harm your paint in any way, it looks bad after it dries.

So, SVRT if you want long water repellency, an SPF, and silicon free.

Give it a try, I PROMISE you'll love it. 110% guarantee means they pay YOU to send it back if you're not impressed. What do you have to lose? ;)

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Last edited:

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You can apply protectant to your tonno to protect it from heat of the sun. 303 products are a good choice.

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If a hard tonneau you can use the wipe on wipe off method of waxing (be sure to select a wax that works with this method to avoid it turning white in the perforations). I did my bakflip f1 last week with collinite, strictly due to it working well with the above method and longevity. SVRT or another UV protectant for vinyl covers.

CrimeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the TRUXEDO Duece cover on my truck and can't find anything that will keep it looking black...........
It's in good shape, but the sun has faded it a little bit. I have put UV vinyl protector on it, and it looks great while it is still wet...........but that goes away. What is a good product to use to keep it looking "wet", or am I barking up the wrong tree?

mynameisante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Bringing this one up from the dead...

Anyone have any input on what else keeps their covers dust-free and black?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Barry Chadwick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Mopar trifold. I use optimum no rinse followed by VRP from chemical Guys. I know a lot of people do not like VRP but it works well from me.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Rain! lol

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use 303 Protectant. Works great and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always used the tonneau cleaner they have for sale at any local parts store. Worked good when done right before I ran it through the car wash