How do you remove a kill switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '04 came with a hidden anti-theft switch. It's not terribly inconvenient... but if I have to put the truck in the shop I have to tell them about it and that seems to defeat the purpose. Being a base model with no options (not even carpet) I don't think my Ram is a prime target for thieves. I'd like to get rid of it to eliminate another point of failure. But I'm unsure how to go about tracking down the wiring and making sure I remove it properly rather than just completely disabling my truck.

If it makes any difference, it's one of those clever ones that doesn't even have a switch. It's just a hidden low-voltage wire that senses when you touch it. I know I've seen a video on how to make one, but I can't find it again to see if it would help me remove one.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’d trace it down to each end and undo whether is a screw or other attachment if you find a cut wire or 2 then I’d reattach it to make that connection. But track down both ends and see where they go.

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That makes sense. Could be a challenge based on the location of the wire. Might have to dismantle the dash to even find the wires.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If it makes any difference, it's one of those clever ones that doesn't even have a switch. It's just a hidden low-voltage wire that senses when you touch it.

There IS a "switch" somewhere. Probably where you touch it. There must be two wires going to that device. By touching it, you are causing the circuit to open. Find the "gozinta" and the "comzoutta" wires and try connecting them directly with a jumper wire.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find the "gozinta" and the "comzoutta" wires
LMAO, I love those words.

I get what you're saying. The sensor wire I have to touch to start is essentially the control side of a relay, I need to find the load side of the relay so I can bypass it. So all I have to do now is work up the courage to yank the dash apart. Of course, that would also give me the chance to see what's going on with the orphaned subwoofer control knob that's on the bottom of the dash.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
also it might be wired to a input ground only needed for start momentary so by just joining the two would create more problems. so you must follow the wires to origin point then deal with it

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also it might be wired to a input ground only needed for start momentary so by just joining the two would create more problems. so you must follow the wires to origin point then deal with it
If I recall correctly from the video I saw on this sort of kill switch, I think that's right. I believe by touching the wire you actually complete the circuit with your body, it's very low voltage. I think it's the same principle as those portable alarms you hang on a doorknob to alert you if somebody touches the knob on the other side of the door.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
By touching it, you are causing the circuit to open.

Actually is closes the circuit.... I know...semantics. But working on electronics for 30+ years and I just can't, not say something. :)

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
LMAO, I love those words.

I get what you're saying. The sensor wire I have to touch to start is essentially the control side of a relay, I need to find the load side of the relay so I can bypass it. So all I have to do now is work up the courage to yank the dash apart. Of course, that would also give me the chance to see what's going on with the orphaned subwoofer control knob that's on the bottom of the dash.
Exactly!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Actually is closes the circuit.... I know...semantics. But working on electronics for 30+ years and I just can't, not say something. :)
I was a hospital Biomed for 18 yrs. I went to school for electronics and I STILL said it wrong! LOL. I Gotta stop posting after midnight. Too old to be smart in the wee hours.
Thanks for the good catch. One of my pet peeves as well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the kill switch doesn't allow the engine to turn over, I'm guessing the you'll find the kill switch tied into the start circuit coming from the key (steering column). There is usually a wiring harness the plugs into the the top of the steering column. The wiring for the kill switch will most likely be tapped into there

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the kill switch doesn't allow the engine to turn over, I'm guessing the you'll find the kill switch tied into the start circuit coming from the key (steering column). There is usually a wiring harness the plugs into the the top of the steering column. The wiring for the kill switch will most likely be tapped into there
That's where I expect it to be connected. But the "button" is in the dash vent to the left of the cluster. So there's a little bit of distance for the wiring to cover. It could be tapped in someplace strange. Might get to mess with it today, but not feeling so hot this morning.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's where I expect it to be connected. But the "button" is in the dash vent to the left of the cluster. So there's a little bit of distance for the wiring to cover. It could be tapped in someplace strange. Might get to mess with it today, but not feeling so hot this morning.
The "button" you touch probably just has a single wire going to it. Follow that back to the actual relay module which I'm going to guess is zip tied to the steering column or a support bracket under the dash.
You'll probably have to pull the lower dash panel and dashboard bezel to see where everything is mounted.