How high is high enough...to replace fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
This is on my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC 4x4 dually long bed diesel.

I am investigating replacing my own fuel tank with a larger one. The only question I have, after reading the directions from Titian, is how high do I have to get my truck to get the old tank out and the new tank in?

RAM dealer has a 48 gallon tank for my truck, installed, for $200 more that the Titan 55 gallon. And the fuel guage will work properly, not sure about miles to empty yet. And then I believe the warranty will not be affected if the dealer does it. I am leaning toward the dealer. But another 7 gallons when towing my trailers could be useful. The 48 is much improved over the current 32

I was just going to put a gravity feed tank in the bed, but apparently I complained about my previous short bed truck so much that my wife glared at me for even thinking about taking up bed space! Like, I got one of "those" looks!!

Any lesson learned from your fuel tank replacement job?

Or for $200 it's worth it to drop off at dealer and let them do it?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No experience but the knowledge that the 48 would work with everything and not give you false reading let's say on a turnpike in bfe I'd go 48 jmo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd go with the dealer installed package given it's advantages of working properly and not voiding your fuel system warranty.

Sure, that 7 gallon increase with the Titan tank is appealing. Since you are putting another tank in the bed + the advantages of the dealer package consider the fact that you could burn up $200 in a heartbeat trying to figure out why it won't work properly.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I'd got with the dealer install so you don't void your fuel system warranty.

If it were out of warranty, I'd do it in the garage.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer all day long. Save yourself time and a headache. Fuel tanks are a PITA (personal experience), let them do it and you have labor warranty too boot.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would want the additional 7 gallons of fuel with the Titan tank. I would want to have a lift and a jack to mount the tank and so paying a local garage $200 would not be a big deal. I have replaced the gas tanks on two trucks with larger ones and put more than 170,000 miles on both of them with no problems with the factory fuel pump. I can no longer get an aftermarket gas tank as they are only available for diesel now.

With a diesel engine I would be putting in a second fuel filter and a lift pump so as to keep the fuel as clean as possible and have the injectors last as long as possible.