How long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How long does it take for a vehicle to get from logistics yard to dealer 20 miles away? How long does it take before you go ballistic? Ordered Dec28 2020 supposedly unloaded off rail car logistics park Chicago 9 days ago. Are dealers prioritized by size? I know for a fact that customers are not a priority ! Worst part is as the consumer we have no recourse any one thinking about ordering I would recommend not .

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
How long does it take for a vehicle to get from logistics yard to dealer 20 miles away? How long does it take before you go ballistic? Ordered Dec28 2020 supposedly unloaded off rail car logistics park Chicago 9 days ago. Are dealers prioritized by size? I know for a fact that customers are not a priority ! Worst part is as the consumer we have no recourse any one thinking about ordering I would recommend not .

Could the dealer be dragging their feet knowing that if you back out they can sell for more than what you agree?

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No been there a couple times have dealt with them over the years they don’t want to tick off a repeat customer

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Even the end delivery process appears to be impacted by what is going on out there. Right now there is a shortage of truck drivers, which is now being quoted as the reason for the upcoming gas shortage. But it is quite possibly also the reason your truck is still at the yard.

space4092

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7l hemi

Mine is done building as well and the dealership quoted 7-10 days for delivery from plant to the dealership. The plant is about an hour away.

• Jan 27 - Ordered • Feb 12 - D Status/VIN/VON • April 16 - D1 Status • April 30 - Built sheet • May 3 - JB Status • May 5 - KZ-P Status • May 6 - Window sticker available. ~ 2021 Ram Rebel 5.7l Hemi ~ VIN: 689289 ~ Order location: ON, CANADA ~ Granite Crystal | Tonneau cover | Leather&Sound | 4-corner air suspension | Blind-Spot Cross-Path detection | Bedliner | ASG | Trailer brake control | Comfort & Convenience | Technology group | Ram Box | Level 2 Equipment

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Dealerships have no control over what happens after they send in your order, they are just a middleman.

The main offices in Auburn Hills Michigan take it from there.

After your Ram is built, it goes to a Body Vendor
In the past that vendor is GFX Ltd. for the Classic Rams, The Rams that are built at Sterling Heights also go into a upfitting shop, ( body vendor ), but i don't know if Mopar or GFX Ltd runs it.
Then it goes back to the factory for a Final Inspection.

Once the Ram goes onto either Train or Truck, no one but the Railroad or Trucking outfit controls the speed & routes taken to get to the dealerships.
At the dealership there is a person assigned to take pix & fill out the paperwork, so that the truck driver can turn over possession of that vehicle.

Mopar can not control shipping, there are just too many variables

Believe me when i tell you that Auburn Hills knows where that vehicle is during shipping, the vehicles have a tracker in each vehicle

Last edited:

space4092

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7l hemi
Dealerships have no control over what happens after they send in your order, they are just a middleman.

The main offices in Auburn Hills Michigan take it from there.

After your Ram is built, it goes to a Body Vendor
In the past that vendor is GFX Ltd. for the Classic Rams, The Rams that are built at Sterling Heights also go into a upfitting shop, ( body vendor ), but i don't know if Mopar or GFX Ltd runs it.
Then it goes back to the factory for a Final Inspection.

Once the Ram goes onto either Train or Truck, no one but the Railroad or Trucking outfit controls the speed & routes taken to get to the dealerships.
At the dealership there is a person assigned to take pix & fill out the paperwork, so that the truck driver can turn over possession of that vehicle.

Mopar can not control shipping, there are just too many variables

Believe me when i tell you that Auburn Hills knows where that vehicle is during shipping, the vehicles have a tracker in each vehicle

Live tracking would be nice :D

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just remembered what program is used by the dealerships to do things like place orders and everything else, including track a vehicles progress . Maybe including tracking the where abouts of a vehicle in transit

The program is not something that the regular Sales Person has access to
It is called DealerConnect

abnfdc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Who are you going to go "ballistic" at? Your dealer isn't the problem.

You special ordered a vehicle. One of many special ordered nationwide. It's a bit more complicated than getting a pizza with extra bacon from the corner store. Failing to realize that every industry and government agency nationwide has been dealing with a massive overabundance of caution for some flu bug for the last year isn't exactly a Dodge problem.

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would agree not the dealers fault except maybe lack of info. Ordered on 12-28-2020 I would assume Ram would know at that point if the dealer was correct in telling me 6 to 10 weeks. I had a build sheet on 2-23-2021 so I would assume that they started building the truck and had necessary equip to build it. Not a special order in my opinion 3500 Dually Mega cab regular dsl not HO leather interior Laramie trim. No mega cab duallys anywhere we looked so ordered. 18 1/2 weeks later still no truck you get a generic email every two weeks from Ram saying your a priority. I guess I should be happy and thrilled that some day maybe I will get a new truck and the dealer wont try to charge me extra because they can. Im thrilled that I have avoided going anywhere to try and keep miles down on existing truck. I guess I'm just unappreciative of how hard Ram is working to keep the customers informed and satisfied.

abnfdc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a special order in my opinion .

Was it on the lot? Was one of those similarly specced vehicles due to arrive at the lot sometime soon? If no, then guess what...

Generic email saying you have a vehicle coming. Would you prefer they leave you with complete radio silence or come over and give you a massage while whispering your order status in your ear?

Look, I understand the impatience, I understand the reasons some people order specific vehicles, but I laugh at anyone who is thinking of "going ballistic" over an order when everything worldwide is backed up, prices gone sky high, or both.

You want fun-try getting a house built now. Multi year backlog and prices per square foot have more than doubled. Just realize the current situation and either accept it or mitigate it.

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My only peace is to complain on here not another damn thing I can do, but want others to know what to expect if they are thinking about ordering

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The main offices are in Auburn Hills Mich.
You can not contact them directly
Your dealerships Sales Manager or Assistant Sales Manager can go to the DealerConnect website & they can punch in the information, like your name or better yet the VON or Vin #
They would know where your vehicle was or is, within 5 minutes or less.

Your sales person can ask either of them & they could tell he or she,
But more often then not, they are either busy or don't really care about when it is due at the dealership

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dealer called today my truck has been loaded onto a car hauler so maybe next week will be at dealer. Finally some good news

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may not be at the yard yet. They update the location when it leaves the load point. Or, it was damaged during shipment and they are fixing it. If so you will never know about that. They will literally put it in a roll back send it out for repair and bring it back.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Nice looking truck. Only a "D" plate? I would have thought "F" to get all the load capacity. Oh well, enjoy your new Ram.