2020 2500 didn't even make it 22k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Starting to get to a point where I am really about to abandon anything FCA related. 2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn just went in yesterday for a repeated repair of the fuel system after not making it even 22k miles. Very 1st trip we took in the new truck at around 2k miles the power steering system completed failed and had to be strong armed all the way back from Tennessee to Louisiana while on vacation. Back in May on the way heading home from Orlando to Louisiana the fuel system leaves us on the side of the road with "Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer" message and some other message tied to the throttle system. Lake City Dodge Ram advised fuel pump issue that took almost 5 weeks to supposedly repair. I don't recommend ever bringing anything to them to fix. Bad customer service. Get the truck back after it was transported back from 9 hours away and all was good for 2 weeks until yesterday when we were traveling on I-10 about 90 miles from home pulling the RV and bam... Same error messages and symptoms. Not sure how long this time it will take, but at least it's not 9 hours away. At what point does this become a situation where I can start forcing the discussion to buy this unreliable POC back? Anyone know of a good lemon lawyer in Louisiana? From my understanding they have 4 attempts to fix the issue or have a max of 45 days to complete the repair. I plan on posting the exact list of parts that will be part of this lates attempt.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So even though I had the original recall work done to solve the issue back in May this most recent issue is throwing code PCM P0191-00 fuel pressure sensor circuit which is either tied to the pressure sensor or lift pump failing. Ugh! And so far, the unwillingness for them to cover the $1k that it will cost me to get my RV back home. It's these expenses to get my family and RV back home that really tick me off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just got a call. Even though the last dealership replaced the supposed fuel pump the pressure sensor was showing as bad. Replaced in this morning and didn't resolve the issue. They are now going to start replacing the whole fuel system. Injectors and all.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just got a call. Even though the last dealership replaced the supposed fuel pump the pressure sensor was showing as bad. Replaced in this morning and didn't resolve the issue. They are now going to start replacing the whole fuel system. Injectors and all.

Often times when the CP4 lets loose it contaminates the entire fuel system so it is not uncommon to have to replace it all. I would have pushed for that from the start if I was in this situation.

Sucks but once they get the CP3 installed and everything replaced you should be solid after that.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Quick update. Just got a notice that the fuel system kit was completed and a fuel leak that had occurred was found and resolved. Truck is still in limp mode. Now they are chasing sensors. So wanting to push for buy back and go with a chevy 6.6L gasser. I have always been a ram fan, but this issue has ruined it with them.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, probably a good call as Chevy never has any issues with their trucks……………..

Bummer about your Ram.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Chevy.
I remember when I had my 2500 Silverado and a trailer brake sensor of some sort went bad. No brakes to trailer and no sensors in stock in the entire country. Took them over 6 months to get the part in stock. This was before covid excuses. i had to cut my harness and wire in an aftermarket controller in order to tow. I dumped that truck and bought a '17 ram dually. Then bought my current '20 Ram dually.

As to your rv being stranded...I have never had RV insurance from any company that didn't have towing coverage. You should look into maybe getting reimbursed.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Maybe buy a Ford. So when it breaks under warranty Ford can blame you for misuse and refuse to cover the repairs. Then when you go to arbitration for the buy back they'll lie to the arbitrator.

At least that's how Ford corporate treated me.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Latest update. Exhaust sensor replaced and now on to DPF filter and Cat converter. Truck still in limp mode. By the time they fix it all of the parts from injectors to the DPF filter will have been replaced.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
AND they are still replacing sensors. Concerned these guys don't know what they are doing. Filter and Cat replaced and still throwing codes.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update to report that the latest was suspected lift pump is not supplying enough fuel to the HPFP thereby throwing fuel pressure error after HPFP.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
AND they are still replacing sensors. Concerned these guys don't know what they are doing. Filter and Cat replaced and still throwing codes.
Yeah they sound like parts replacers at best. Sorry you are having so many issues with your truck.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick update. Just got a notice that the fuel system kit was completed and a fuel leak that had occurred was found and resolved. Truck is still in limp mode. Now they are chasing sensors. So wanting to push for buy back and go with a chevy 6.6L gasser. I have always been a ram fan, but this issue has ruined it with them.
You can only lemon law within 1st year of ownership NOT through the entire factory warranty. You are stuck with the truck and can only trade it off once it's repaired.

OP
OP
C

cajunlte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welp. After 2 months I got the truck back after the PCM/ECU and wire harness was replaced that supposedly solve the last issue. Lasted this time 10 days. Was pulling 5th wheel yesterday and suddenly started getting the service exhaust system see dealer message. Immediately turned around and headed home. DPF filter level never changed. 3rd time and it's back to the shop. Thankfully it's my closest dealer.

Last edited:

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welp. After 2 months I got the truck back after the PCM/ECU and wire harness was replaced that supposedly solve the last issue. Lasted this time 10 days. Was pulling 5th wheel yesterday and suddenly started getting the service exhaust system see dealer message. Immediately turned around and headed home. DPF filter level never changed. 3rd time and it's back to the shop. Thankfully it's my closest dealer.
How heavy is your 5th wheel? Just curious.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sorry for your problems, but the single biggest issue is the dealer you are using is clearly incompetent. I would change dealers no matter what. I would for sure do a bunch of research, find the best diesel dealer in your area and try them. If there isn't a good one, I would take it into the top Diesel performance shop, along with all the repair records and have it diagnosed and then talk to another dealer to get if fixed. Once you know for sure what the actual problems are it makes it a lot harder for the dealer shop to BS you..

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go to another dealer for repairs sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I can completely understand your frustration but hope you don't give up on Ram because of what really amounts to an incompetent service department. Have you tried contacting a zone manager for your area? I know it won't undo what's happened but I'd ask for the number for the zone manager and see if there's anything they can/will do to help!

This is not your zone manager, I'd ask the dealership who that is, but MAYBE you could try this number too