How many don’t use a weight distribution hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wondering how many don’t use a weight distribution hitch towing there trailers? I have a 2019 2500 and it barley squats when I hook up to my travel trailer. The trailer gross is 8k. How does it do without sway control too! Just wanting to know anyone’s experience with this thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never used one. But I don't tow alot. Used to have a small 5x8 travel trailer I used for moving and general hauling. Sometimes I rent a Uhaul trailer when needed.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I towed a 26’ travel trailer all over the country with a 3500 SRW Cummins. Long bed. That truck was solid and planted; never used the WD and never felt the need.

Now I’m towing a 28’ enclosed cargo trailer with the PW and I absolutely feel the wind moving the truck around. This combination would definitely benefit from WD and before I do a long haul it will have it.

So my answer is not yes/no but “it depends” on the specifics of the truck and trailer involved. There’s a lot of difference between a short wheelbase 2500 and a long wheelbase dually. Same for trailer configuration.

With experience I feel confident in my own judgement on when to use it or not, but I don’t know how to explain it to someone else. With a lot of miles you develop a feel for whether a rig is stable or not as you drive it. For anyone in doubt, I’d say “better to have it and not need it than vice versa”.

PS- some of what I’m asking myself when assessing:
How much steering correction is needed on a straight level road?
How does it react when a big rig passes in the next lane?
When I deliberately induce trailer swaying and then straighten out, does it readily stop the side to side motion?
How does it steer entering and exiting a high speed curve? I don’t want to have to overcompensate.

Basically other than acceleration I don’t want to feel the trailer very much at all. If the steering is tender or fussy, requires overcorrection, or the trailer has any natural tendency to oscillate, those are all red flags.

Last edited:

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I always use the WDH but when I'm draggin to hunt club which is all rural roads I don't use the anti sway. I only use the anti sway when I'll be goin on the interstate.
Jayco 28ft weighs approx 6,495lbs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i tow 8800# TT with another 1500# in the bed. Truck doesnt squat much but I use my WDH anyway as i had it laying around. Some towns i drive through have pretty severe drainage dips on the streets and it definitely helps there

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I use one, I have a 35 ft bumper to ball, 8k loaded, and 1k on the hitch. Do I need one not sure but I'm glad I do it's a nice peice of mine and it's not hard to hook up.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I have it, so I use it. My travel trailer is 34 feet

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I just wondering how many don’t use a weight distribution hitch towing there trailers? I have a 2019 2500 and it barley squats when I hook up to my travel trailer. The trailer gross is 8k. How does it do without sway control too! Just wanting to know anyone’s experience with this thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one and use it for a couple of reasons:
Wind - in the open states this can be an issue.

Weight distribution - even if the truck doesn't squat, you have to consider the pressure on the rear axle, why not spread it around.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2019 2500 and it barley squats when I hook up to my travel trailer.
There in lies the misconception on using thinking one doesn't need a WDH..and it's usually the HD truck owner's that are guilty of this.
A WDH is used to move the tongue weight forward to return the weight on the front tires that is lost to maintain steering and braking. If the truck/trail has a good load and distribution of weight then not much sway control is needed.
You'll here CTD owner's usually say they don't or need to use a WDH, that's partly due to the extra 1000 lbs of weight (over the 6.4) on the front axle, it takes a lot of tongue weight to offset that.

Kilo393

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
My 2020 2500 6.7 " CTD with the 6'4" box has not needed the WDH with either my toy Hauler or MY 16 ft enclosed. But my Enclosed car hauler is a different breed, as the wind can effect it So I use a Sway control, even with the factory sway control on.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nope, sorry in a smart ass mood this morning :p
full

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I had a very large enclosed trailer (since sold). When I picked it up, I didn't yet have my WD hitch. It was a bit scary bringing it home with my 1/2t, but doable. With the WD hitch it was great. I used it for moving. 1 trip I made with Dad's then new F350 SWR. Without the WD hitch, it was OK empty, but not as good as the 1/2 tone with the WD hitch. Loaded it absolutely needed the WD hitch. Loaded it was likely well over its rated 10k. Empty, I think it was 4400lbs. I later used that truck and WD hitch to move a mobile home. we all do stupid stuff from time to time, but the truck with teh WD hitch bars cranked had no problem with the load.

ps. I used a floor jack to make it easier to set the load bars.

PatriotMS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never use a WDH... I have a Bulletproof Hitch and AirLift bags with the onboard wireless compressor. If my truck starts to wriggle because of a crosswind coming from out West in the Plains of America... I simply make sure the ride is Level so I have the most control. A trailer that sways a lot is not properly loaded, bad axle placement design or wrong hitch height. Getting a multi-adjustment hitch for your truck is crucial to having the most control of the payload. I typically tow boats exceeding 30+ feet in length... you've never seen a WDH on a boat trailer have you? You mostly see them on lightweight, overloaded travel/utility trailers.

Fix the Cause, not the Symptoms. If it sways, what are the tire ratings on the trailer? Buy better tires like the Carlisle RadialHD tires. Go UP to a higher quality trailer tire and magically see your MPGs and stability improve. If it still sways... add the airbags to your truck. The installation is easy and can be done in less than 2 hours by a novice. Get a Bulletproof Hitch... period, end of story, they are the best!

I can pull the trailer shown here up to speeds exceeding 120mph with no sway. I did it as a demonstration for Aerovault Trailers during the Silver State Classic event in Nevada years ago. No Sway... no movement at all and it had a 2018 Porsche GT3RS inside at the time. Videos are on the Aerovault website.

83168558_10217544615069222_270449187927432238_o.jpg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 7000# travel trailer that I towed a lot and honestly couldn't tell a difference with or without the WDH (yes, it was installed correctly and I tried all the different chain links to the point where the rear wheels would break free).

I did always use a single friction anti-sway and felt that was necessary. I would usually use the WDH as well just to keep old farts at gas stations from giving me the stink eye.

MetalDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I never use a WDH... I have a Bulletproof Hitch and AirLift bags with the onboard wireless compressor. If my truck starts to wriggle because of a crosswind coming from out West in the Plains of America... I simply make sure the ride is Level so I have the most control. A trailer that sways a lot is not properly loaded, bad axle placement design or wrong hitch height. Getting a multi-adjustment hitch for your truck is crucial to having the most control of the payload. I typically tow boats exceeding 30+ feet in length... you've never seen a WDH on a boat trailer have you? You mostly see them on lightweight, overloaded travel/utility trailers.

Fix the Cause, not the Symptoms. If it sways, what are the tire ratings on the trailer? Buy better tires like the Carlisle RadialHD tires. Go UP to a higher quality trailer tire and magically see your MPGs and stability improve. If it still sways... add the airbags to your truck. The installation is easy and can be done in less than 2 hours by a novice. Get a Bulletproof Hitch... period, end of story, they are the best!

I can pull the trailer shown here up to speeds exceeding 120mph with no sway. I did it as a demonstration for Aerovault Trailers during the Silver State Classic event in Nevada years ago. No Sway... no movement at all and it had a 2018 Porsche GT3RS inside at the time. Videos are on the Aerovault website.

83168558_10217544615069222_270449187927432238_o.jpg

Just saw some videos on their website, very cool!

Poolman Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 29 foot 7500 pound travel trailer when I had a Ram 1500. I have a Husky centerline WD hitch on the 1500 and now on my 2500. Towing with the 1500 was a bit tense passing a semi or being passed by one. I would not look forward to the driving part of the trips worried I could easily make a mistake that would negatively impact my family or others. With the 2500 it's so comfortable and easy I forget the trailer is there. I have not found a reason nor ever tried not using my WD hitch. Would it be quicker or easier to connect or disconnect the trailer, yes by 10 minutes but why chance it? I've seen plenty of trucks and trailers flipped over for different reasons and I don't want to think later "if only I had used what I already had"

freakasis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
whats the tongue weight? 8k isnt heavy at all. does your trucks ratings say its needed? i doubt it, but you didnt list the tongue weight sooo....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The physics of a WDH distribute weight back to the front wheels, a good explanation is on the prior page of this thread. Putting any weight on a hitch immediately starts removing the weight over the front wheels, reducing steering and braking capabilities. Not using a WDH for a travel trailer is just a bad decision.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I saw a truck on I-480 yesterday without a WDH. Looked like about a 8K travel trailer. 3500 RAM dually with a Cummins. He wasn't squatting at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88