How Many Miles Can I Get Out Of The Pentastar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And you, my friend, have (probably) taken my original "workhorse" comment the wrong way. When I chose that phrase, it was considering my use case, which is the only one that I can speak to with authority.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm completely calm about all this :) Just remember that you can intend to mean whatever you like, but words and phrases have certain meanings to the vast majority of people.

You could have prevented most of this commentary by just saying "yeah sorry dude, perhaps "work horse" is the wrong phrase to use here".

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, exactly. Some of you 3.6 owners are so freaking touchy that the second somebody writes something even remotely considered negative in some way about it, you jump out of the woodwork and start throwing labels like "hate". You're twisting my words into absolute false statements as nowhere have I written anything close to "hate". I've written here that the v6 is a great motor, very refined, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just, it's not a "truck engine", nor a "work horse". So yes, I chose to address that statement of yours because it's completely 100% false.

The LS vs Vortec is more of a side thread and I'm not qualified enough to argue there, though I will say you seem to disagree with a number of posts I've read on the internet concerning this. Chevy has clearly made significant mechanical changes to Vortec, specifically because it's being used in a truck. The 3.6 is just dropped in "as is" in every place they use (other than maybe moving oil filter/air filter around etc for packing purposes and maybe a detune here and there for cooling).

Your inability to even see your own point has left me speechless. Take a deep breath, the Internet isn’t worth a heart attack.

OP, Sorry I got tangled up in this derailment. I digress.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm completely calm about all this :) Just remember that you can intend to mean whatever you like, but words and phrases have certain meanings to the vast majority of people.

You could have prevented most of this commentary by just saying "yeah sorry dude, perhaps "work horse" is the wrong phrase to use here".

I could have, but, yeah dude, I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my choice of words... lol

It's all good.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your inability to even see your own point has left me speechless. Take a deep breath, the Internet isn’t worth a heart attack.

Your ability to project emotions onto posts that are not there is amusing... I'm mean I've explicitly said I'm very calm, but I guess you feel I should be more upset over this. Sorry to let you down. That's twice now, guess reading comprehension really isn't your strongpoint, eh? :kiss1:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your ability to project emotions onto posts that are not there is amusing... I'm mean I've explicitly said I'm very calm, but I guess you feel I should be more upset over this. Sorry to let you down. That's twice now, guess reading comprehension really isn't your strongpoint, eh? :kiss1:

You are definitely the special kind of stupid I have no time for.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Perfect. Thanks for the suggestion; I hate high rpm cruising.

Now...what's LSD, and what kind of highway mileage are you getting, with the engine loafing at 1,500rpms?

Sorry, LSD like someone already said is the abbreviation for Limited Slip Differential. I hate when I see abbreviations that I can't figure out too, my bad. I think all vehicles should have the LSD.

My mileage is around 16 to 17mpg's. Understand that I live in the hills, very back country, go to town 3 (hilly) miles each way to get groceries, lumber, gravel, & drive in 4WD Lo across my ranchito, etc. Only occasional trips down onto the flatland. My prior truck had the 5.9l V8 4X4 and averaged 10-11mpg's so I like this improvement. But my mileage probably isn't pertinent for you. I haven't taken any long freeway trips in it.

Know too that I have several times had 1,000# of gravel loaded in this one and driven home, up these hills and then across my property with no struggles whatsoever. The reason I suggested you opt for the 3.55's is because the legal, rated tow limit is much higher. I myself believe the 3.21's would tow very well too, but not legally tow a car on a trailer like I sometimes do. If they were offering the 3.6l with 3.92's, I would have sprung for that. I use an open car trailer, an enclosed one might require a Hemi if you were going very far, they're a big "Sail" drag chute. In fact, a 2500 would be best for large enclosed trailers. But I digress, sorry.

Know that here in California and maybe elsewhere, you cannot legally tow a trailer rated higher than your truck, even an empty car trailer---confirmed by a local CHP Officer to me personally. Probably a non-issue unless an insurance claim came up....

This 8-speed tranny makes a tremendous difference compared to the older trucks, the 4.71 first is like the old "granny gear", and there's 2 overdrive gears too. It really "Makes" the truck into a marvel. And yes, I know the other models have 8-speeds too, and I think that's great too.

NOTE: All the above is just one man's opinion and worth at least what you paid for it, heh.

Good Hunting, and Good Luck. :driver:

OP
OP
N

newdorplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, LSD like someone already said is the abbreviation for Limited Slip Differential. I hate when I see abbreviations that I can't figure out too, my bad. I think all vehicles should have the LSD.

My mileage is around 16 to 17mpg's. Understand that I live in the hills, very back country, go to town 3 (hilly) miles each way to get groceries, lumber, gravel, & drive in 4WD Lo across my ranchito, etc. Only occasional trips down onto the flatland. My prior truck had the 5.9l V8 4X4 and averaged 10-11mpg's so I like this improvement. But my mileage probably isn't pertinent for you. I haven't taken any long freeway trips in it.

Know too that I have several times had 1,000# of gravel loaded in this one and driven home, up these hills and then across my property with no struggles whatsoever. The reason I suggested you opt for the 3.55's is because the legal, rated tow limit is much higher. I myself believe the 3.21's would tow very well too, but not legally tow a car on a trailer like I sometimes do. If they were offering the 3.6l with 3.92's, I would have sprung for that. I use an open car trailer, an enclosed one might require a Hemi if you were going very far, they're a big "Sail" drag chute. In fact, a 2500 would be best for large enclosed trailers. But I digress, sorry.

Know that here in California and maybe elsewhere, you cannot legally tow a trailer rated higher than your truck, even an empty car trailer---confirmed by a local CHP Officer to me personally. Probably a non-issue unless an insurance claim came up....

This 8-speed tranny makes a tremendous difference compared to the older trucks, the 4.71 first is like the old "granny gear", and there's 2 overdrive gears too. It really "Makes" the truck into a marvel. And yes, I know the other models have 8-speeds too, and I think that's great too.

NOTE: All the above is just one man's opinion and worth at least what you paid for it, heh.

Good Hunting, and Good Luck. :driver:

Your reply was extremely helpful; thanks for the info and for your time.

So...to confirm, you're getting 16-17 around town? I can't believe it; that's incredible for an engine as powerful as the pentastar.

Since you don't do a lot of highway driving, maybe someone else can chime in with what they're getting on the highway?

Again...I gotta say that I am extremely impressed with what I have heard/read thus far.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want a 3.6 to last 200k, do NOT follow the built in oil change interval monitor. They use roller rocker/lifter just like every other motor and need good clean oil or they will fail also - just like every other motor.

I have had 3.6 motors since they came out - though all in several minivans.

It appears to be a decent motor and runs like a ***** ape in the higher rpms. My biggest gripe is it is gutless below 2200+ rpms, BUT it might be more the trans that has been in my Town and Country's and now the 9 speed in my Pacifica.
I haven't driven a Ram with the 8 speed with a 3.6, from what everyone says I am thinking it is a better combo vs. the gearing that is in the vehicles I have had.

That being said, I am sure for just everyday tooling around it would be a fine choice for you.

Just take one for a good test ride before you buy. If possible maybe rent one from a rental agency for a couple of days to put it through the paces and see if it works for you.

There's also the 3.0 diesel that gets great mpg and in theory should last - I stress theory though.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you want a 3.6 to last 200k, do NOT follow the built in oil change interval monitor. They use roller rocker/lifter just like every other motor and need good clean oil or they will fail also - just like every other motor.

I have had 3.6 motors since they came out - though all in several minivans.

It appears to be a decent motor and runs like a ***** ape in the higher rpms. My biggest gripe is it is gutless below 2200+ rpms, BUT it might be more the trans that has been in my Town and Country's and now the 9 speed in my Pacifica.
I haven't driven a Ram with the 8 speed with a 3.6, from what everyone says I am thinking it is a better combo vs. the gearing that is in the vehicles I have had.

There's an engineer on another board I frequent that was involved in the design/development of the pentastar. One thing he added is these engines will benefit from getting on them hard from time to time. If I remember correctly, something about WOT runs forcing oil down into the valve stem seals. When they granny cycled these engines during the design phase, there was some sticking/wear issues there due to lack of oil.

I always ran 5w30 synthetic and changed it around 6000 mile intervals in my pentastars. I plan to go between 5-6K with my current hemi.

The ZF8 definitely is the magic behind the pentastar powered Ram 1500s IMO. I don't think it would be the same at all with the 6spd. Our 2013 Grand Caravan still felt really good with the pentastar and 6spd 62TE trans, but that's a totally different vehicle.

Work pony? It's my pretty pony! They shoot glitter and rainbows out the exhaust when you get on them. LMAO