How many miles is too many to buy a 6.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Maass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey guys!

Im sorry if this has been asked before, but how many miles is too many to buy a 6.7 cummins? I am looking at a 2008 dually for sale at a local dealership for a new tow rig and occasional daily driver, but it has 199xxx miles on it and they are asking $16,000 for it. I was just wondering if you guys would think thats not worth it with that many miles, or if these engines will last much much longer than that. I've not been in to check out the truck yet but the outside and interior are beautiful, its just a concern if i'm paying so much for an engine that will hardly last more than a couple years. I'm willing to do some repairs, but I've had enough experience with piles of garbage that I'm concerned about another high mileage vehicle; but then again i've never owned a diesel.

Thanks for any and all input.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey guys!

Im sorry if this has been asked before, but how many miles is too many to buy a 6.7 cummins? I am looking at a 2008 dually for sale at a local dealership for a new tow rig and occasional daily driver, but it has 199xxx miles on it and they are asking $16,000 for it. I was just wondering if you guys would think thats not worth it with that many miles, or if these engines will last much much longer than that. I've not been in to check out the truck yet but the outside and interior are beautiful, its just a concern if i'm paying so much for an engine that will hardly last more than a couple years. I'm willing to do some repairs, but I've had enough experience with piles of garbage that I'm concerned about another high mileage vehicle; but then again i've never owned a diesel.

Thanks for any and all input.

I would be more concerned about the rest of the truck falling apart around the cummins with those miles.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'd be more concerned about the tranny falling out of it than the motor having issues.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wouldn't be concerned about the motor (unless someone mucked with it, tuned, modified it). Front end components are probably going to need replacing, ball joints, tie rods, hub bearings, etc. so I would check those over good.

Always0ntop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought mine from NH with 173000 miles on her. No major deal breaker issues. Immediately took bed off and cleaned, undercoated the crap outta her. THEN herculined the bed. new bulbs, front brakes and rotors and very soon a steering brace ( for my birthday ). She's gonna tow a 5th wheel toy hauler in 4.75 years when I retire( but whos counting ). I dont put many miles on it ( or any vehicle for that matter ). Good luck with it!...Phil

ramcumminssix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ya if the engine is stock (not tuned or deleted) I would not worry too much about it as long as it runs and sounds good. The tranny is the major weak point on them so find out if it has ever been rebuilt. With most diesel trucks, the truck themselves fail apart way before the engine.