How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Tradesman Crew Cab
Engine
3.6-LITER V6 24-VALVE VVT
I have the basic (with the lights) overhead console in my 2016 RAM. I would like to swap for this one:

14 15 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 4500 5500 Slate Gray Overhead Console New Mopar | eBay

Would this be plug and play?

Are all the required wiring and connectors in place since I already have the basic console?

I would swap the sliding glass control out as well, as I don't have that feature.

I'm a bit confused and don't want to order something I cant use.

THANKS in advance for your feedback!

-Prof

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
If you have the RA2 or higher radio, then yes everything should be plug and play. If not, you're missing the compass module which means you're missing the wiring for the homelike/garage door owner. That's an easy fix though, you can order one from one of the vendors on here or make it yourself. All the p/n are listed in the thread.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Prof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Tradesman Crew Cab
Engine
If you have the RA2 or higher radio, then yes everything should be plug and play. If not, you're missing the compass module which means you're missing the wiring for the homelike/garage door owner. That's an easy fix though, you can order one from one of the vendors on here or make it yourself. All the p/n are listed in the thread.

I have the Uconnect 5.0 equiped. I assume that means I'm good to go?

Thanks again for the help,

-Prof

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
I have the Uconnect 5.0 equiped. I assume that means I'm good to go?

Thanks again for the help,

-Prof
Yea, your over head you have now should have a compass module in it which uses the same connectors and wires as the garage door opener.

Prof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Tradesman Crew Cab
Engine
yea, your over head you have now should have a compass module in it which uses the same connectors and wires as the garage door opener.

Sent from my htc one m9 using tapatalk

Thank you!

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Has anyone traced the wiring for Cupholder LED on a truck that came with the Overhead Console? Or is anyone with a truck that came with the overhead willing to trace it? Forgot to look that up while I had Techauthority access. I don't want to just splice into another source, I'd like to keep it on the factory source.

Thanks

rthorsten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a wiring problem. I have a 2012 and added the basic overhead with map lights I tapped the ground and yellow/white at the top of the A pillar. I could not get the pin out from the kit to go into the green plug so I tapped the constant yellow/light wire right behind the green plug. Something is wrong because when I close the door the lights dim but say on. The other funny thing is my dome light stays dimmed also. What is going on here? Nothing really works right with this overhead.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding Overhead Console

I have a wiring problem. I have a 2012 and added the basic overhead with map lights I tapped the ground and yellow/white at the top of the A pillar. I could not get the pin out from the kit to go into the green plug so I tapped the constant yellow/light wire right behind the green plug. Something is wrong because when I close the door the lights dim but say on. The other funny thing is my dome light stays dimmed also. What is going on here? Nothing really works right with this overhead.

Just did this with a 12 also. If you purchAsed the pin out connected listed. That is for the 3 prong plug on the console. Use the white wires and throw away the orange.

Your wires have to go to the correct terminals on the white 3 terminal connector.

This has been posted before but it lists what you have to connect to. Take a hard look at it. Let me know what specific questions you have.

5728acc29daab5779d1e35744009f9c8.jpg

One last thing you probably have the constant power connected wrong. Also don't forget to disconnect the battery when your working on it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone traced the wiring for Cupholder LED on a truck that came with the Overhead Console? Or is anyone with a truck that came with the overhead willing to trace it? Forgot to look that up while I had Techauthority access. I don't want to just splice into another source, I'd like to keep it on the factory source.

Thanks

Believe it or not the cup holder wiring plugs into a harness that runs up the passenger side C pillar. It's a green and while wire attached to a plug behind the trim panel. This was on my 14 Quad Cab. I would think the Crew Cab is the same but can't verify for sure.

rthorsten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you suggesting I switch the two positive wire round to see if that fixes the problem. How do you get the pin out back out of the connector that would probably be the easiest way to switch things around.

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Believe it or not the cup holder wiring plugs into a harness that runs up the passenger side C pillar. It's a green and while wire attached to a plug behind the trim panel. This was on my 14 Quad Cab. I would think the Crew Cab is the same but can't verify for sure.
Thanks. That sounds like the i440. I'll have to check mine and see if it's populated. The drivers side has the same connector, except it feeds the chmsl (third brake/cargo lights).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yip mine is the same. The connector for the power sliding rear window power is on the drivers side C pillar that's where I tapped into mine for the slider

Last edited:

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Weird how it's way over there just put got a harness that had the factory overhead console and was wondering what the grey connecter on c pillar was for. My previous harness didn't use that side.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Weird how it's way over there just put got a harness that had the factory overhead console and was wondering what the grey connecter on c pillar was for. My previous harness didn't use that side.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
I know. You'd think you'd just run everything to the overhead console up the a pillars. Except the window switch obviously.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding Overhead Console

Are you suggesting I switch the two positive wire round to see if that fixes the problem. How do you get the pin out back out of the connector that would probably be the easiest way to switch things around.

You need to check your wiring against the plug diagrams. As long as you wired the ground correctly, then one of the other two must be incorrect. That is also assuming that you got power from pin 12 and 13 on the green connector.

If your going to splice the wire just cut the correct wire off the back of the connector. Not worth the hassle to get the pin out of the green one.

The white console connector I used a small pocket knife to pry up on the plastic tab and pull it out.

Last edited:

rthorsten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just had the ground on the wrong side of the plug. All is working perfectly now. Thanks for the help.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally installed the console in my Express. Here is a run down for all who are interested in this mod.

I decided to keep it simple and cheap with just the basic console, map lights only.

Your going to need the following parts:

Console retainer: 55365119AC
6993-55365119ac-console-retainer.jpg

Overhead Console: 1PQ03BD1AA
http://www.ramforum.com/members/sideshow/albums/mods/6992-1pq03bd1aa-basic-console.jpg[/IMG
3 pin connector pinout: 68064999AA
[IMG]http://www.ramforum.com/members/sideshow/albums/mods/6991-68064999aa-3-pin-connector.jpg

**Remember, these parts are for the basic no frills console. If you want to add options you will need different consoles.

Garage Opener ONLY Console: 1PQ06BD1AA
Garage Door and Rear Slider Console: 1PQ09BD1AA
Sorry, I don't have the part numbers for the Sunroof control.

If you want to add the Compass Module: 56046062AC

I think I've read this thing so much I'm sick. Mine is a 2015 Express, my wires going up the pillar are Blk/yel. My question is where do I get this 3 pin wire pin out you speak of? I ordered a kit that included wires and a plug for the map lights but nothing for that led, know where to get that?

Never mind, figured it out with a meter. Still need to find that 2 pin plug for the LED.

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be nice if the pictures still worked :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
d25911366065e4917ffab96736bff4de.jpg