how to diagnose inoperable oil pressure gage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, 1995 Dodge Ram 2500HD SLT with the 5.9l Magnum gasoline engine and automatic trans. The truck has the gage package so it has tachometer, oil pressure gage, temerature gage, etc. My oil pressure gage does not work at all. The temperature gage does. How can I begin to diagnose the oil pressure gage? I recently replaced the oil pressure sender with a brand new one which clipped right into the factory electrical plug. Thanks for any tips to see if it's the sender or maybe the truck wiring or gage?

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, 1995 Dodge Ram 2500HD SLT with the 5.9l Magnum gasoline engine and automatic trans. The truck has the gage package so it has tachometer, oil pressure gage, temerature gage, etc. My oil pressure gage does not work at all. The temperature gage does. How can I begin to diagnose the oil pressure gage? I recently replaced the oil pressure sender with a brand new one which clipped right into the factory electrical plug. Thanks for any tips to see if it's the sender or maybe the truck wiring or gage?
Do you have an ohm meter?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
see if the sensor is getting power, with truck running. may need to replace the wires. or check to make sure you actually have oil pressure. I imagine you do otherwise you wouldnt be driving very long!

OP
OP
clanceman427

clanceman427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha yep have pressure, I temporarily took off the sendeor and started it and watched the oil gyser! Hehe. So should the sensor see 12v from the truck while on?