How to disconnect this type of connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

longbordz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This seat belt warning connector is located between the driver seat and the center console. How do I disconnect the old connector to install the new seat belt buckle ? 1706893667457.png

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The part where the bolt goes through (on the left in your picture), is pretty much a single piece that is part of the latch at the right. You would need to pull/pry the latch out of the top while also pushing the bolt end towards the right - the wire connector would need to be de-pinned and removed before you can pull the wire (which is also part of the latch unit and goes to a switch inside the latch housing) along with the rest of the latch unit. I'm not sure, but I think there are one-way catches inside the body housing that holds the latch unit in place. You might be able to dremel the latch end hosing (but NOT the latch itself) where the seam is at and pry it apart - but you'll lose any salvage-ability of the housing. Your better off ordering the part number that is imprinted in the plastic and just getting an entire unit. Optionally, go to a junk yard that has any wrecked RAMs and you can probably just pull one for under $50 I'd think.

OP
OP
L

longbordz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Black Wolf. I have the brand new assembly 5KM871D5AB-001. I have removed the bolt holding the buckle assembly to the seat's chassis but cannot seem to disconnect the connector.
Specifically, how does one manipulate the red tab to unlock the electrical connector. Once removed, how does one manipulate the new connector to the harness to which the old connector was attached?
Pry up the red tab? Push it down? Slide it forwad or back?
1706898510491.png

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like you squeeze the red part, but very often connectors like that have a lock of some sort that prevents it. Might be a tab at the rear that has to be pulled out, or maybe those wings on either side have to be squeezed first to depress the red part. Maybe the red part itself has to be slid out. A picture of the rear might help.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Black Wolf. I have the brand new assembly 5KM871D5AB-001. I have removed the bolt holding the buckle assembly to the seat's chassis but cannot seem to disconnect the connector.
Specifically, how does one manipulate the red tab to unlock the electrical connector. Once removed, how does one manipulate the new connector to the harness to which the old connector was attached?
Pry up the red tab? Push it down? Slide it forwad or back?
View attachment 536722

Have you tried pushing on the ribbed red part to see if it depresses?

Just try pushing on it and if it doesn't press in easily, inspect the other side for an interlock tab of some sort.

These things aren't usually terribly delicate such that one wrong press will break them. LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like a squeeze, press and pull, just do not do a Tarzan impression on the parts. But without having a physical part in front: All guessnosis. Like said above: Some press, some detent, some have a tab u pull out. Just depends.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I think you want to do, is de-pin the connector so you can remove the outer connector casing? If that's the case, you need a special tool that goes inside where the pins are, to push a tab on the pins that locks them into the connector housing, then gently pull them out through the wire end while at the same time applying pressure to the pin and tab using the tool. The other option (and this may work better and be less of a headache), would be to buy an after market 2-pin connector, cut the old ones off on both sides (the male end and the female end), and put the new ones on in their place. Anything after market will probably not be a match to the factory connector - which is why you have to do both sides. Anything will work from any of the big auto stores as long as it's small and a two pin connector. While you might want to consider staying stock, this simple type of wiring repair done right, won't affect performance or resale at all. One thing I will say: If you go with the aftermarket, make sure you get a GOOD crimper for the pins. That might set you back about $50 or so. You can also just buy a connector kit - there's usually about 50 different connectors (pin count wise) - including 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, etc, and they usually come with the crimper too... Might come in handy for other auto or boat wiring (if you have one of those money-suckers) down the road (or really, any sort of powered device that uses pretty much automotive type wiring - just don't use it on your house wiring! Just some suggestions/thoughts.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Slide the red tab back(toward wires,away from white part of connector),then squeeze down and pull it out.
To re-install,push it back into the female end until it clicks,then push the red tab back in

Last edited: