How to drain gas tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this is the right subforum but I'm looking into the easiest way to drain gas from my 2017 1500. I tried to siphon it and ran into the antisiphon devices that are coming up in my searches. Everything works, this is more for an emergency situation as a hurricane is working its way to me.

My last truck was easy to siphon so I always had a bunch of fresh gas ready for the generator. I would like to have easy access to the 32 gallons my Ram has if possible. Is my best option getting it from the fuel rail?

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Not sure if this is the right subforum but I'm looking into the easiest way to drain gas from my 2017 1500. I tried to siphon it and ran into the antisiphon devices that are coming up in my searches. Everything works, this is more for an emergency situation as a hurricane is working its way to me.

My last truck was easy to siphon so I always had a bunch of fresh gas ready for the generator. I would like to have easy access to the 32 gallons my Ram has if possible. Is my best option getting it from the fuel rail?

Any help or ideas is appreciated.
I read in another post on that you could try removing the over flow hose and see if you can access it that way.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a boat with a 30 gallon tank, then if it floods real bad you are covered on that end also .

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find romping on the gas pedal does it pretty well for me. Takes a little longer, but it's way more fun.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can take the fuel line off at the rail and jump the fuse for the fuel pump. That’s how I drain tanks at work when I need too.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can take the fuel line off at the rail and jump the fuse for the fuel pump. That’s how I drain tanks at work when I need too.
That's what I was thinking. Just would like to fill 5 gallon tanks to feed the generator as needed. Going to test it out when the weather calms down. Any tips that might not be obvious?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You’ll need some hose to go from the fuel line to your gas cans. They use quick disconnects so you’ll either need an adapter to fit it or a large enough hose to fit over the fitting so it doesn’t leak fuel everywhere.

Thats really the hardest part. then just use a jumper wire across the 30amp fuel pump fuse. I can’t remember if you have to have the key in the run position, I believe you do.

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Get outta my damn tank! LOL! 84-92, Schwabach, Riley, Knox, Hood and Drum.
Why are you getting my tank dirty!?
I know that you know how long it takes to get the mud off of the hull!:signs8:
I ETS'd from Erlangen, Germany in 1985. 2Bn/81 Armor, 1AD