How To External Oil Cooler w/AGS Delete & 180° Thermostat - 5.7L 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize that when car manufacturers design vehicles, they have no idea if said vehicle is going to be in South Texas towing things or up in Canada chilling in a parking lot in the snow. They have to take that into consideration when deciding what the "normal" operating temperature is. Compromises must be made in order to make sure it functions correctly in every climate. That being said, excessive heat kills things. The summer months in South Texas rewards us with temperatures regularly in the high 90's to 100. Driving around the city in was normal for my truck to have oil temps around 225°. Towing an 7500lb trailer I would see 250-260°. I decided to address this in a couple of areas. Please note, I spend all of my time in the south and it rarely ever gets to freezing temps, so those of you Northerners, this might not be for you. Please note, this will not be a full walk through, most things I have done can be found on the forum or youtube. I will however include part numbers and pictures (all at the bottom of the post), along with my results.

I started by tossing out the 203° thermostat and replaced it with a 180° from Stant
P/N 48798 ($14.83 on Amazon w/Prime)

I then deleted the Active Grill Shutters. Not the whole unit, just the shutters. It seemed like a pretty nice bezel that seems to do a good job of funneling air into the radiator, so why not? This was pretty easy, take out the bezel, remove the shutters and the motor. Then drill 1/8" hole and install a 1.5 x 1/8" bolt with an extra nut and some washers as a spacer into the motor to fool the truck into thinking everything is still functioning correctly. Then put the motor back into the bezel. (Less than $2 at Home Depot)

Next I installed a Derale 15405 Engine Oil Cooler Kit ($113.99 on Amazon w/Prime). This kit comes with pretty good instructions and claims it can reduce engine temps by 50° and is good for something like 40,000 BTU worth of cooling. I chose to fab a custom bracket using flat aluminum bar stock bent to mount the radiator using 3 factory mounting points and a few other self tapping screws. See pictures below.

Total install time took about 4 hours including fab time and waiting for the paint to semi-dry. I did an oil change at the same time with Mobil 1 full synthetic (factory weight) and a Napa Platinum oil filter. It took about 1qt above the factory 7qts.

Results were amazing. Oil and coolant never top 186° driving around town. I am seeing right at a 39° decrease in operating temps. Zero check engine lights after almost 400 miles. Truck runs flawlessly. I have yet to tow, however I am confident results will be on par with what I am already experiencing. I'll update after the 4th with actual results.

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 12.35.12 AM.png

IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3401.jpg IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

OP
OP
scott_intx

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towed the trailer (34’ 7600lbs) today for several hours in mixed traffic. Ambient temp was around 95. Coolant never got above 195. Oil temp peaked at 204 during stop and go traffic on the highway. During regular driving it hovered around 198. This is down from 250-260. MPG seems to have a slight increase, too. I would call this a giant win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things like this make me rethink my choice of buying maxcare lifetime.... Nice mod and even nicer results!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
scott_intx

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Things like this make me rethink my choice of buying maxcare lifetime.... Nice mod and even nicer results!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you! I am pretty happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice install Scott.I've thought about an oil cooler using a thermostat,but I had a buddy with one,and he ended up taking it off as his was over cooling anytime the temp got around 40F or cooler,and where i'm at we get more days at 40F or cooler,then days above that temp,lol.It's sort of been in the back of my mind to add an oil cooler with a hi-flow thermostat something like this one for awhile though.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice install Scott.I've thought about an oil cooler using a thermostat,but I had a buddy with one,and he ended up taking it off as his was over cooling anytime the temp got around 40F or cooler,and where i'm at we get more days at 40F or cooler,then days above that temp,lol.It's sort of been in the back of my mind to add an oil cooler with a hi-flow thermostat something like this one for awhile though.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

This is the one I've had floating around in my bookmarks if I ever do an oil cooler. Just haven't felt like bothering since I haven't yet found a situation where mine goes over 230 for any sort of extended period. If I was doing more towing in the city where traffics become a real ***** I'd probably have already done it lol.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-c...n-oil-filter-mount-with-thermostat-p-781.html

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you have any issues with the oil filter fit-up or did you have to use a different oil filter moving forward? Do you happen to remember which sleeve nut you used?

I am considering Derale 15605, which is a similar kit but may have a thermostat in the sandwich plate (at least it has the same "sandwich adapter type A").

Edit: After finding instructions, I assume you used the green sleeve nut (22mmX1.5mm) & I see you used a standard Wix 47060 Filter, which fits the stock engine - what is interesting is that the instructions for the kit you used states it is for engines with oil filter landings ranging from 2.75"-3.50" but the Wix 47060 has a gasket of 2.42" ID x 2.758" OD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45