How to fix a sicking brake caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced front pads on 2017 Ram 1500 4 wheel drive. I have done this many many times over the years. Never any problems, just replaced pads. No rust on any brake parts. Pins and everything was free. The left front caliper is trying to stick. Any tips to fix this without replacing caliper? I'v looked at a lot of videos but about all show rusted corroded calipers and rotors. I don't want to replace caliper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How did you compress pistons? Caliper tool or something else? If you rebuild your caliper fairly easy to do, you will most likely have to bleed brakes as well, anyhow good idea anyhow if you put pads and didnt bleed them?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can get two calipers for like 100 bucks, no core needed most of the time. I forget the brand I use, but calipers are cheap these days, will work as good as oem anyhow.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2017 calipers shouldn't be frozen from internal rust. More than likely the sliding pins are rusted, or rust build-up on other sliding surfaces. Remove the piston dust shield with a small screwdriver. Put a block of wood between the piston and push the piston out in stages (with compressed air). Don't get your fingers in between the piston and the wood block! Check the piston seal and the bore for rust. It's possible the seal is bent over and straightening it out will help. Put it all back together if everything looks fine.

The problem might be further up in the abs valve block, or a hose with internal damage (that happens sometimes). But not if both sides are seized.

Most aftermarket calipers use inferior pistons compared to the mopar phenolic pistons. But nobody will listen to me on that...LOL.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Can you duplicate the problem of the caliper being stuck while the truck is lifted and tire removed? If so, when it is stuck, use a box wrench and loosen the bleeder while trying to turn the rotor. When you open the bleeder and if fluid comes out plus the rotor now turns then it is a failed hose.
If it remains stuck then it's sliders or the piston is sticking. I've blown them apart and reconditioned them with success many of times, especially on Ford trucks. But if you don't know what you're doing I'd recommend just go buy a new one.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Perhaps you kinked the flex line with the caliper off ?