How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've had the nav do the loading screen on mine several times. I closed it and reopened it and it came up fine. I don't use it much at all due to car play and waze.

Unfortunately, mine has never made it off the loading screen.

I'm assuming the travel link uses the GPS information when it shows the closest gas stations. I had this up yesterday and it would show the distances changing to the stations as I was driving. The compass on the Navigation Icon on the bottom of the screen works. The radio clock will not get time when the option to use the GPS satellites is chosen. I'm going to put my old radio back at lunch to confirm that the navigation still works. My two other troubleshooting steps to try if the shark fin antenna checks out. Call Sirius and ask them to disable the Travel Link and Traffic Plus trial that were activated yesterday when I added Sirius service. I used AlfaOBD to disable Travel Link, but it's still working in the radio regardless. If that doesn't work then I'll hook up a GPS only antenna and see if the Navigation will work.

I have one fairly large complaint about CarPlay. Why doesn't the clock show up at the top of the screen? Anyone else having this happen? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

IMG_7233.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@rgardjr
Haven't seen it mentioned in your posts...
What is the pn of the radio you are using?

M² Mods.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@rgardjr
Haven't seen it mentioned in your posts...
What is the pn of the radio you are using?

M² Mods.

I'm not sure about the part number. I'll check the next time I pull the radio. I bought it from a salvage yard through car-parts.com. It was supposed to be out of a 2018 Ram 1500.
The firmware on it showed as 17.5 which I updated to the 18.14 that I downloaded from the firmware thread. I'm trying to find a copy of the 19.9 hoping that might help kick start the Navigation.

Here's what I learned on my lunch break today:
So I tried hooking the radio up to a GPS only antenna and it did not get a signal. I confirmed that the Travel Link does us the gps information by doing this. With the GPS only antenna hooked up Travel Link was "searching for signal". So the radio is getting GPS information from the shark fin antenna. Travel Link works while the Navigation and the Clock do not. Next I put my old radio back in and Navigation fired right up.

I decided to throw the new UAQ radio back in for a while to see if I think it's worth keeping. I'm pretty disappointed that the cargo camera is really buggy with the UAQ. Sometimes it works from the App screen. It will not activate when the truck brings up the reverse camera-just get a sold blue screen when I try and switch to it. When it does work the video quality is pretty bad compared to what I get with my old radio.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is what my dealer menu shows this under navigation. Not sure if there should be some actual numbers that show up. f2ac764ee88649d05bff7375e463da03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have the part numbers for the shark fin antenna and extension cables?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Does anyone have the part numbers for the shark fin antenna and extension cables?

I do but only for an RC

68324469AA antenna base assembly
68148260AC antenna cable
68148258AD cable

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
[emoji2359] ... RC use to mean RC Cola ... or remote control as in airplanes or cars ... regular cab ... [emoji2371]

RC Cola...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

- Antenna Cable Body Cell & SDARS "QUAD/CREW" (Rear cab Ant): - 68148279AD
OR
- Antenna Cable Body Cell & SDARS (Front Cab Ant): - 68148260AC

- Antenna Jumper Cable: - 68148258AD
- Shark Fin Antenna: - 5091278AC

-K

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had this ghosting issue with the UAQ's? The light "Home" icon from the Nav screen hovering over the mobile icon... Rebooting clears it, but it will return in any text or icon that is left on the screen for more then a minute or two. For a while I was seeing the text from the siriusxm station I was on over the rear view camera while backing up... de9c91c650e6df8733418e6f988acdee.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had this ghosting issue with the UAQ's? The light "Home" icon from the Nav screen hovering over the mobile icon... Rebooting clears it, but it will return in any text or icon that is left on the screen for more then a minute or two. For a while I was seeing the text from the siriusxm station I was on over the rear view camera while backing up... de9c91c650e6df8733418e6f988acdee.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright....
We need to get these guys together with @kad to work out the details for a proper hub adapter did the console folks ...

This is revision 4 of the media hub face plate.

View attachment 154073
View attachment 154074
View attachment 154075

I spent about 5 minutes with the dremel on the hole where the media hub goes and it popped right in. I still need to clean the top edge as I could not get the angle to match as well as I would have liked. Then I just need to smooth out the piece and it should be good.

I have been working a solution for getting USB ports into the armrest for use with after market radios that won’t work with the hub. I removed the USB hub, replaced with this module and ran usb extensions from the aftermarket radio into the arm rest to connect to the two male plugs on this module.

What do you guys think?
View attachment 155097

View attachment 155098
View attachment 155096

Last edited:

Maverick87r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New to all this but I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with an alpine speaker system and held onto hope I would get an update for CarPlay. Looks like that isn’t ever going to happen. I think I just would need a UAS to upgrade. Where has everyone ordered from? I think I want to upgrade the center console as well to the dual hub.
Also would I have any issues upgrading? I didn’t see anything.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
New to all this but I have a 2016 Ram Rebel with an alpine speaker system and held onto hope I would get an update for CarPlay. Looks like that isn’t ever going to happen. I think I just would need a UAS to upgrade. Where has everyone ordered from? I think I want to upgrade the center console as well to the dual hub.
Also would I have any issues upgrading? I didn’t see anything.

You'll need the radio, hub and the small adapter harness for the new hub that @Mpgrimm2 makes. I believe there is a UAS for sale in the classified section here.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
2017 radios can be converted into 2018 radios.
I just started looking into this mod for my 17 since my wife’s new Edge has CarPlay. Which is bomb I might add! How can a 17 radio be converted to an 18??

231North

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys been following this thread for a while and finally put a UAQ in my 17 2500.

Everything worked on the first try, backup cam and all. Sound quality is great. If I recall correctly someone was tracking sw versions.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I noticed this in the UAS radio in my truck. I was wondering how in the world they managed to get burn-in on such a new screen. I haven't seen this in years. Although, as you mentioned, it does seem to go away after a while. That, or I just don't notice it anymore...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357