How to make it last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
So I've had my 2500 CTD for almost a month now and I've put over 2500 miles on it. That'll slow down I'm sure but the reality is that this is the first vehicle I'm honestly not worried about racking up the miles on it. This is my dream truck and I spent more on it than I ever though I would on a vehicle (no regrets). I'm a "drive it till it dies" kind of guy and I'd like this thing to last as long as possible so I'm curious, for those who are in the same position or who have racked up 250k+ miles on a CTD, what should I do to make it last?

I know Ziebart has mixed reviews but I went ahead and had it done. While I've had good luck overall with my Ram trucks as far as corrosion goes, the 2013 I bought 18 months ago was rust free when I bought it but was getting chewed up by it when I traded it in for this truck.

I've spoken to a local diesel shop about deleting the EGR & DPF. I plan to do this but I want to wait until I've racked up around 6k miles just to make sure everything is running as it should before I scrap my warranty. My goals are engine life & fuel economy, I won't be rolling coal or doing burnouts in it. The shop I spoke with felt that a 50hp tune was well within the limits of the transmission without tearing anything up so for now that's what I'm thinking.

My plan is to change the oil & fuel filters every 10k miles. I've done a little reading about adding the CAT fuel filters to the system and it seems to make sense and act as cheap insurance.

So what else should I consider? I'd really like to be one of those guys one day bragging about the 350k miles I have on my truck. I understand that I'll likely have a tranny rebuild in there somewhere as my truck will be used as a truck and I know going in that the tranny is a known weak point. What am I overlooking?

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I gotta be the first. ****** will make it last longer. [emoji38] lol [emoji13]

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Drive it. Service it regularly. Don't let small things turn into big ones. No real magic formula I don't think. Keep her clean :)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Change your oil regularly. Ignore the OCI marketing crap. Use common sense. Take the time to read the synthetic oil thread. Consider Red Line oil and Royal Purple filter. My 03 Ram QC 5.7 2wd has 230k miles. Original trans and engine. Runs and looks like (kinda) new. Going on a 600 mile trip this weekend. Preventive maintenance has always paid off for me. Replace or repair before it breaks. Good luck with your truck.

Reactions: U&A