How To Remove Rear Head Rests?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I have a 2020 5th gen Laramie Crew Cab. Has anyone been able to remove their rear head rests?

I remove them in every truck ive ever owned. I cant stand the head rests blocking the view behind me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Owners manuals are Freaking AWESOME:), it has pictures and everything. Their instructions work just fine, I took mine out of my 2021 2500. They explain it far easier than typing it all out.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if 1500 are the same as 2500 just pinch the plastic tab in on the inboard side and pull up. the outboard side has an obvious tab but the inboard one is not obvious but when you pinch it you will see how it works.

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Owners manuals are Freaking AWESOME:), it has pictures and everything. Their instructions work just fine, I took mine out of my 2021 2500. They explain it far easier than typing it all out.

I like the enthusiasm! :D
Ill read the instructions... as much as instincts say its unnecessary and a waste of time. ;)

if 1500 are the same as 2500 just pinch the plastic tab in on the inboard side and pull up. the outboard side has an obvious tab but the inboard one is not obvious but when you pinch it you will see how it works.

Ive tried that once before but maybe I didnt pull on them hard enough. Today is the day!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine on my 4th gen tried to get stuck under the rear window. A slight tug forward and they came out.

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Ok. I tried again to REMOVE the head rests and still couldnt get them out.

After looking at the owners manual it says, "Outboard head restraints are non-adjustable, but can be folded down for visibility."
Also, "If any head restraints require removal, see and authorized dealer."

I dont want to simply fold them down. I want them out, removed, gone, disbanded, fired, finished... you get the idea.

I see tabs on the right side of each post, where the head rest connects to the seat, but the tabs dont push in at all. They are flush already. Im going to try again, and hold my mouth a little different this time. I bet that will work.

EDIT: You will need a small screwdriver or something to push in the small tabs. You will never push them in far enough without some kind of tool. See picture below.

20210923_133831.jpg

Last edited:

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
crazy I just used my fingers. I don't run with head rests in the back either.

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Yall must have fingers the size of paper clips. Lol

On the 1500 I had to push in the tiny tab inside the larger one. The larger tab doesnt move at all.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I used a friend, i pushed the tab & he lifted, it was tight against the window

I watched a video on the newer Rams
The guy removed the rear head rests & reversed the front ones
That i what i did on my old 2016, no ones neck should have to be at that angle while driving

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23

That i what i did on my old 2016, no ones neck should have to be at that angle while driving

Thats a good idea. I think ill switch my front ones around as well.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yall must have fingers the size of paper clips. Lol

On the 1500 I had to push in the tiny tab inside the larger one. The larger tab doesnt move at all.
must be different on 1500's, your photo looks the same as mine but on mine the little tab stays put and the larger tab pushes in.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I put one in on my truck and it looked weird to me. I do agree the angle is all messed up. I removed my headrests on Tuesday and its much better.

Hound Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 and 2015
Engine
I was wondering how you guys clean the inside of the rear window, now i know. DUH

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i drive across country, almost 3,000 miles one way

I tried to nap at a Arkansas Rest Area
Even with the head rest rotated, i had trouble napping
Next year, i am going to hunt for extra long pillow, that will work better with my back & head. I also need one of those shades that cover the windshield

HoustonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you fold up the seat, it'll angle the back a bit making it easier getting the headrest out and fighting with the ceiling. 2018 here, just pushing the tabs works like a charm.

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just as HoustonRam said in his post #16, my experience with my 2011QC was that lifting the seat base tilts the seatback up and forward just enough to get the headrests out to install my seat covers. Pushing the tabs might need to be accompanied by slight up and down on the headrest to allow the locking tabs to free up enough to remove the headrest. Hope this helps, even a little.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I just pull the release and fold the seat back forward to clean the rear window. Yay for 5th gens with reclining rear seats. :p
Wait wut...maybe i need to reread owners manual. How did i miss that

EDIT: ok you mean move the seat forward to put the back further down? But I also have the button to fold the headrest forward.

Are we on the same page?

Or is there a fold forward?

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can fold the rear seat upper section forward if you have reclining rear seats. It's in the owners manual I believe, but I first learned about that feature on another 5th gen forum. I'll try to remember to post pics when I get home from work today, but my CRS might keep that from happening.