2023 classic 1500 headlight bulbs suggestion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi guys,

Looking to get brighter lights to replace my halogen bulbs on my new 2023 Ram classic.

Looking for some suggestion for bulbs in led or halogen. Not looking to replace housing yet. As my fiancé would not be happy as we have a wedding to save for ;)

However I want brighter lights comparable to like her Cherokee has with the led package.

Any suggestion welcome.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

Looking to get brighter lights to replace my halogen bulbs on my new 2023 Ram classic.

Looking for some suggestion for bulbs in led or halogen. Not looking to replace housing yet. As my fiancé would not be happy as we have a wedding to save for ;)

However I want brighter lights comparable to like her Cherokee has with the led package.

Any suggestion welcome.

I recently installed Fahren LED lights in my '21 Classic. They were completely plug n play with no configuration changes required.

I should also mention that I think they're fantastic and tough to beat for the price. I chose these lights because of the success stories that I have read hear on Ram Forum.

The high beam lights are spectacular and cast a bright light far down the highway, black & white compared to halogen.

The low beam lights are far brighter than the halogen but don't seem to be quite as bright as the high beam lights with a lower beam angle.

The road is still lit enough enough that I can drive on rural highways while wearing yellow lenses and not overdrive the lights on low beam with the addition of driving lights. (Ram calls them LED fog lights but they're white driving lights).

I have observed no flickering or other undesirable effects . The lights fit inside the housings with the covers on.

My truck has Premium Projectors and uses 4x 9005 bulbs for both the low & high beam.

I had originally purchased the wrong bulbs, thinking that I had the basic Projectors which for my truck is 2 H11s for low and 2 9005s for high beams.

If you use this link and just below the center of the Amazon page, select the 9005 option, you will see the bulbs are rated at 10,000 lumens each instead of the upper Amazon link where they're 9000 lumen per bulb.

Amazon.com lists the 10,000 lumens version of the 9005 bulb but .ca has it somewhat hidden.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently installed Fahren LED lights in my '21 Classic. They were completely plug n play with no configuration changes required.

I should also mention that I think they're fantastic and tough to beat for the price. I chose these lights because of the success stories that I have read hear on Ram Forum.

The high beam lights are spectacular and cast a bright light far down the highway, black & white compared to halogen.

The low beam lights are far brighter than the halogen but don't seem to be quite as bright as the high beam lights with a lower beam angle.

The road is still lit enough enough that I can drive on rural highways while wearing yellow lenses and not overdrive the lights on low beam with the addition of driving lights. (Ram calls them LED fog lights but they're white driving lights).

I have observed no flickering or other undesirable effects . The lights fit inside the housings with the covers on.

My truck has Premium Projectors and uses 4x 9005 bulbs for both the low & high beam.

I had originally purchased the wrong bulbs, thinking that I had the basic Projectors which for my truck is 2 H11s for low and 2 9005s for high beams.

If you use this link and just below the center of the Amazon page, select the 9005 option, you will see the bulbs are rated at 10,000 lumens each instead of the upper Amazon link where they're 9000 lumen per bulb.

Amazon.com lists the 10,000 lumens version of the 9005 bulb but .ca has it somewhat hidden.

Nice write up and +1 on the Farhen LEDs. Great bulb especially for the price.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck uses H11 low beams, just upgrade to H9 halogen bulbs - simple modification to the bulb is needed but it works perfectly and is a huge improvement.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

Any suggestion welcome.

If you require 9005 bulbs and have a US address, Amazon.com has a sale on the 2-pak.

I live close to the border and use Myusaddress.ca to receive packages in NY.

Ignore the Amazon fitment guide that says they don't fit. I have a set installed in my '21 Classic.

Be sure to clip the 20% off coupon, your check-out price should look like this.

And for those US residents considering to purchase LED lighting, this might be a good time if these bulbs fit your truck.

Screenshot_20231229-073751_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the Fahren hi/low set in my 19' Classic and really enjoy them.
Great bulbs at a great price.
Just aim your headlights accordingly after installation so you get the best road coverage.

Yes, the importance of proper aiming for the headlights can't be overstated.

I live in a rural area which is tougher on the eyes at night than most urban areas. As far as I can see (LOL), most LED headlights are not adjusted properly.

It would appear that many older cars and trucks have upgraded to LED and just slapped them in without a second thought.

I wear yellow lenses when driving at night and still have to look away from most vehicles.

I used the following informative video when I installed my LED lights.

Do you also have 4x 9005 bulbs and did you get the Canadian version of the Fahren bulbs rated at 9K lumens versus the US version rated at 10K lumens?

My reference to US or Canadian is derived from availability for a specific physical size of .9" at Amazon.ca versus Amazon.com. The 1"+ sized version is available at both sites.

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys I live in the London area so this was super helpful as I’m in the country rural parts. And the oem are just not cutting it.

I may just order them and drop them in once we stop getting all this rain.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yes, the importance of proper aiming for the headlights can't be overstated.

I live in a rural area which is tougher on the eyes at night than most urban areas. As far as I can see (LOL), most LED headlights are not adjusted properly.

It would appear that many older cars and trucks have upgraded to LED and just slapped them in without a second thought.

I wear yellow lenses when driving at night and still have to look away from most vehicles.

I used the following informative video when I installed my LED lights.

Do you also have 4x 9005 bulbs and did you get the Canadian version of the Fahren bulbs rated at 9K lumens versus the US version rated at 10K lumens?

My reference to US or Canadian is derived from availability for a specific physical size of .9" at Amazon.ca versus Amazon.com. The 1"+ sized version is available at both sites.

I purchased these ones from their Canadian site.
1703874402403.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased these ones from their Canadian site.

Thanks.

I bought that same kit from Amazon.com last May.

For some odd reason, when you buy the 9005s in a 2-pak in Canada, they're 9K lumens but 10K lumens in the US.

Unless you hunt and then you can find them at 10K lumens in Canada in a 2-pak.

I'm currently negotiating with Fahren to replace my pair of 9K lumen 9005s.
Ten emails later and they finally understand what I'm looking for. :cool:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does Canada limit bulb output usage?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not that I know of because Fahren also sells another 14K lumen LED bulb in a slightly larger package, available in Canada from Amazon.ca as they are from other manufacturers.

I've asked the question to Fahren twice now, why a difference between A.com (US) and A.ca (Canadastan), but no answer.

Amazon.ca often is twice the price of A.com and the product availability is much less too.

O Canadastan, we bend for thee.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not that I know of because Fahren also sells another 14K lumen LED bulb in a slightly larger package, available in Canada from Amazon.ca as they are from other manufacturers.

I've asked the question to Fahren twice now, why a difference between A.com (US) and A.ca (Canadastan), but no answer.

Amazon.ca often is twice the price of A.com and the product availability is much less too.

O Canadastan, we bend for thee.

Hopefully Skippy isn’t monitoring Amazon deliveries! LoL

OP
OP
KevsRam23

KevsRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ordered them and I will try and install them when it’s nice out finger crossed. I can do it soon and post and update

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hikari Led ! They are simply amazing !!! A lil pricy but worth every penny

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully Skippy isn’t monitoring Amazon deliveries! LoL

I just hope Trudy doesn't decide to copy the Cali crowd and detune our trucks.

They would be sure to check compliance every year before allowing registration.

He already outlawed handguns this year and everyone just rolled over.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar

If the truck takes 9005 and h11s it has reflector headlights. If it takes two sets of 9005 it has projector headlights. There are no premium projectors it's one or the other. So your truck has projectors not reflector headlights.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Both Canada and the US have limitations on the maximum amount of light that can be emitted from headlights. But it's not rated in lumens as that is pointless rating. There's not going to be enough difference to notice between 9000 lumen and a 10,000 lumen, especially considering that rating is split between both bulbs on these LED lights 20k total. That's not per bulb, you have to read the fine print. Light output is measured in lux, I'm at is the only true measurement of output. Lumens just looks much more appealing to people because the number is so large and it makes it sound like it's extremely bright, they also take advantage of the fact that they can use it as a marketing gimmick exactly as then the so-called Canadian and US bulb being a 9000 or 10,000. Which once again, if you look at the packaging, the 10,000 is their newer version. They have updated almost all their bulbs in their lineup. It is now a higher rating on all the bulb sizes than their old ones were. I recently bought two sets of bulbs on Amazon Canada for one of my co-workers and when I received them and we went to install them in his truck, they are both the same Faren bulbs, I literally ordered two of the same thing, one set is 13 k and the other set are 12k per bulb. Just new stuff versus old stock. With the newer ones being updated.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the truck takes 9005 and h11s it has reflector headlights. If it takes two sets of 9005 it has projector headlights. There are no premium projectors it's one or the other. So your truck has projectors not reflector headlights.

Thanks for the clarification and thanks for rescuing me from the Ram scam.

I wasn't certain which headlights my truck used; my only information source was the user manual.

2021 Ram Premium Projector headlights.jpg

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But it's not rated in lumens as that is pointless rating.

You're welcome to your opinion but I don't agree with this statement.

AFAIK, light output from any source is usually measured in lumen and that is the only accurate method of comparison between different bulbs or light sources.

What the salespeople leave out, is that beam angle, colour temperature, and reflectivity of the destination are just as important parameters to consider.

Whereas lux is the resultant illumination of the surface or destination at a specific distance and is based on all the above.

If we were to use lux to qualify different bulbs, it would be necessary to perform a myriad of qualifications on the value, such as beam angle, colour temperature, and a specific distance to the destination, from the light source, etc.

It would be necessary to qualify that the resultant lux from 'the said bulb' will be X based on a specific reflector or projector housing because each housing will have a different result.

I do agree that marketing does not provide sufficient details and will always make an effort to distort and manipulate the facts to make their product appear better than another.

There's not going to be enough difference to notice between 9000 lumen and a 10,000 lumen, especially considering that rating is split between both bulbs on these LED lights 20k total. That's not per bulb, you have to read the fine print.

I do agree that subjectively, we're not too likely to see much difference between 9,000 & 10,000 lumen and that the higher output is a newer release of the product but...

As you mentioned, there are 2 bulbs. So, now the increase is 2000 lumen, and even though the resultant lux will not be much more, it is still more.

If the cost is almost identical and it is an updated version, why would I choose the older model with less light output?

Light output is measured in lux, I'm at is the only true measurement of output.

Light output is usually measured in lumens, and lux is the result at the surface or destination, at a specific distance.

The following article has a clear definition of the difference between lumen and lux.

These are a couple of quotes from the above link.

The difference between lux and lumens by definition​

The core difference can be summarized as follows:
  • Lux is a measure of illuminance, the total amount of light that falls on a surface
  • Lumens is a measure of luminous flux, the total amount of light emitted in all directions.

Lux is a measure of how much light falls on a particular surface and can be the result of multiple light bulbs and even daylight mixed in.

On the other hand, lumens is important for knowing how much light a single light source emits. This is useful for comparing the total amount of light a bulb emits, but depending on its light distribution and space size, whether it is "enough" for a space or task cannot necessarily be determined.

YMMV :cool: