how to reset tire pressure sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigChick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7L
hi, i am so confused. i have a 2015 ram 3500 DRW pickup. i put on new tires a couple of months ago and the tire shop gave me lifetime free tire rotation. so i went back to them and had the 6 tires rotated. all if fine except the dash tpms display did not pick up the rotation and now shows the tires in the wrong position. went back to the tire shop and they said there was nothing they could do and that the truck will relearn the new positions after i drive 20 or so miles at more than 25 miles per hour. we had to go down to phoenix and that is 90 miles (each way) at 65+mph. nothing changed on the tpms display. so i went to the local dealer and asked about it. they said they are supposed to relearn their new positions after a bit of driving, but many times they do not. i would have to make an appt to have a technician relearn the new positions at about $100. but here is an interesting point. the dealer would do a rotation for $50 and if the tires did not pick up their new location they would relearn them as part of the $50 rotation fee. so i guess i will need a rotation, just hold the actual rotation portion.

what is up?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Disconnect Battery, negative first, then positive. Touch the two cables together for about 5 minutes. Hook them back up, positive first. 10 to 1 the TPMS comes back on correct.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine have always relearned after a few miles so something is not right. I'd definitely try what @Dean2 says and go from there.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My '17 Wagon NEVER re-learned the positions, they ALWAYS had to re-learn them. Something about how Ram uses a single receiver for the sensors in the middle of the truck.

My wife's old Ford, however, always relearned the positions, because Ford puts a receiver near each wheel well specifically to avoid needing to do a re-learn.

Cadiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just a thought, not an expert but your sensors are 8 years old could be low battery causing weak signals. Or possibly they have been replaced already with Amazon china specials that only sometimes work or show accurate tire psi. Or possibly you have one or two newer mixed with older ones.
My 17 ram 3500 non Dually has always relearned after rotations. With OEM sensors
OEM Tpms sensors have a 5 to 12 year life, average life is 7 according to the google

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I had some TPMS fun a few years back, and bought the older version of this Autel. If you're sensors are getting old you can take this thing and get the ID off of each current one before it's battery dies. Get an Autel compatible one (goes by signal type) and program a replacement with the same ID making your car think it's still the same TPMS sensor.

Now the relearning thing, not sure never had an issue with that. But between the base model link above, and the upgraded model here there may be some options with that as well - not sure, but hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, and this tool will tell you battery life left on most TPMS sensors as well. So you know when to change or get ready to before dead.