I Live Near Phoenix, Where there Are a Lots of Used 5th Wheels For Sale. What Brand Should I look For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Curious to know what may be some of the better brands/ manufacturers of 5th wheels. I am coming near a time when I will be in the market for one. What recommendations do some of your seasoned RVers have? Much appreciated!

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5vers are like religion and women. Everyone has an opinion.

We just picked up a new 3500 tonight to tow a Jayco North Point. We’ve looked at a lot but the fit and finish on the Jayco is good.

Also look at
Alliance
Forrest River
Grand Design
River Stone

There are a lot of you tube vids. We’ve been looking for 2 years and settled on a Jayco.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We had a Grand Design and my buddy had a Jayco. We were both pleased with our choices.

Now, that does not mean things won't break. RVs break. You are basically towing your house across bumpy ground in a hurricane.

But if you are handy with tools and can figure out how to wire, do some plumbing and can maintain the RV, your experience will be a good one.

I have had good experience with Tom's Camperland in Mesa with respects to parts and service.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In the world of travel trailers, higher cost has a more likely positive outcome for the purchaser in comparative featured models. This is because fit and finish cost money. But doesn't mean a 3 slide out model with fireplace is better than a cheaper non-slide model, of course more features add cost but if not high quality they add problems.

If you haven't had a fiver before you should do 2 things. 1) rent from some people and try them out. You can find out what is important to you and maybe rule out some things. For example, my friend was all over a model with a side and rear deck that folds down. 3 years later he has yet to be in a campsite he can use both at the same time. Toy haulers are useful at times but the living space can be more spartan. But my cousins have friends with one and although they have no toys, the separate spaces are key for them to be able to both work at the same time while traveling.

People think that it is a waste to rent and not put the money right on their own, but I have been doing it and already figured out that I will never own a slide out on the door side of a trailer as it usually takes away from the awning space, I will make sure the sewer handles on a eventual purchase are not way under a slide out, and a slide out in the bedroom is a must (I would never have considered that if I hadn't rented one).

Once you figure out what you want, check inventory around the states near you or even in east coast. My parents bought a fiver in Louisiana on a trip and I drove down with the truck from NY and drove their toe vehicle back. Next time they went to Florida to pick up a purchase and did some sightseeing with motels on the way and had a nice 2 week vacation.

Important thing is take your time, lots of used units out there with shoddy workmanship after the past 3-3 years of factories cranking them out. Really need to inspect the hell out a unit, make them fill it with water and run heater and pump, check for leaks. Use all slides a few times each. Open every cabinet and check for loose or replaced hinges. I recommend 50 amp, my sister's brand new unit with 30 amp can't keep up with cooling as only 1 ac at a time can be run and has to turn off ac when making breakfast.

Good luck

Roper46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
As mentioned above, the only thing I would change about my 5er is in the bedroon. Will definitely ensure the next one I get will have a bed slide. Already been looking at a 2023 Cougar 316RLS. Good luck with your search.

20220823_131030.jpg

PhunnyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
We have an Alliance Paradigm and couldn't be happier with our choice. However, the new Brinkley's are worth consideration. One of the big questions is how do you intend to use it? Weekends and occasional week or so camping trip? Or live in, or nearly live in full time? Lot's of options are driven by the answer to that question, at least for me. YMMV.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What ever you do, do NOT buy a keystone RV. Plus, stay away from camping world! Both will bend you over, take your money, and leave you hanging. Keystone will deny warranty work every chance they can. Camping world does shotty work. Trust me, I know from 1st hand experience I’m dealing with now on a less than 1 year old 5th wheel.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that's one big can of worms to open , before I ordered my Sierra , I looked at a lot of 5th wheels . The one the shocked me was a Riverstone a supposedly high end unit , looked amazing , cupboard door came off in my hand moldings with gaps you could park a truck in . If the little things are a mess makes you wonder .
Service is as important as the make, so do some homework on that . The other thing to know is there are only 2 types of trailers made , those that leak and those that will eventually leak .
My unit didn't make the 1 year mark before I took everything on the outside off and sealed it to my satisfaction. Doors, hatches , windows , moldings ,I mean everything .
Anyway good luck and maintainence and service are key to a enjoyable unit .

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Generally speaking they're all structurally the same. What you get with higher end units is more organized plumbing and electrical. Central plumbing manifold, wiring that doesn't look like Ray Charles installed it, some higher end materials inside. That being said, I've seen some new DRV's, Luxe's and Vanleigh's with all kinds of issues inside.

They're all built to the cheapest standards by the lowest common denominator.

If you aren't a handy person you're going to have a miserable time owning any RV.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Generally all RVs are built as fast as they can slap them together, just to get them out the door. Definitely stay away from anything to do with camping world , their reputation is beyond bad. We are on our fourth fifth wheel. All I can say is it is not like buying a car, it costs as much, but the warranty is very questionable at best.

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
Thor Industries owns a majority of the rv manufacturers. So moving to a different brand is not likely to make the quality any better. Some of the companies that used to be known for quality, are suffering in recent years due to cooperate ownership and skyrocketing demand, labor shortages and supply shortages causing rv’s to be turned out too fast and poor quality control.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Would tell anyone looking for a RV to buy 5 years or older. By then, most of the bugs (warranty work) has been done. Just do a thorough inspection. Biggest issue is a roof leak. You see any stains on roof inside, walk away!

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the world of travel trailers, higher cost has a more likely positive outcome for the purchaser in comparative featured models. This is because fit and finish cost money. But doesn't mean a 3 slide out model with fireplace is better than a cheaper non-slide model, of course more features add cost but if not high quality they add problems.

If you haven't had a fiver before you should do 2 things. 1) rent from some people and try them out. You can find out what is important to you and maybe rule out some things. For example, my friend was all over a model with a side and rear deck that folds down. 3 years later he has yet to be in a campsite he can use both at the same time. Toy haulers are useful at times but the living space can be more spartan. But my cousins have friends with one and although they have no toys, the separate spaces are key for them to be able to both work at the same time while traveling.

People think that it is a waste to rent and not put the money right on their own, but I have been doing it and already figured out that I will never own a slide out on the door side of a trailer as it usually takes away from the awning space, I will make sure the sewer handles on a eventual purchase are not way under a slide out, and a slide out in the bedroom is a must (I would never have considered that if I hadn't rented one).

Once you figure out what you want, check inventory around the states near you or even in east coast. My parents bought a fiver in Louisiana on a trip and I drove down with the truck from NY and drove their toe vehicle back. Next time they went to Florida to pick up a purchase and did some sightseeing with motels on the way and had a nice 2 week vacation.

Important thing is take your time, lots of used units out there with shoddy workmanship after the past 3-3 years of factories cranking them out. Really need to inspect the hell out a unit, make them fill it with water and run heater and pump, check for leaks. Use all slides a few times each. Open every cabinet and check for loose or replaced hinges. I recommend 50 amp, my sister's brand new unit with 30 amp can't keep up with cooling as only 1 ac at a time can be run and has to turn off ac when making breakfast.

Good luck

Check as much electrical as you can. I mean look at the wiring. I've seen 3 and 4 butt connectors in a single line. It's like they picked up scraps off the floor to make a 20 foot piece. Each connector adds resistance. On the FD we used to occasionally tear apart a fire damaged RV and even the expensive rigs had this problem

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
Take some of the advice here lightly. Don't take advice from the disgruntled, only from the people who are pleased with their unit.
All RV's are not structurally the same. Very far from it. That's poor thinking. To begin with, some are wood framed and some are aluminum framed. Like in a house that have studs 16 in apart and some 24 in. Some RV's use 2 x 2's for framework Some use 2 x 3 or 2x4's The person who thinks all RV's are going to leak eventually has experience only with RV's made with corners where the roof and walls meet poorly. Or a poor cheap way to do it. Or they use cheap and easy ways to seal parts. Some are much better. All of them are not made to a common denominator. But some higher-cost models are made in the same factory as cheap models. Do some research and find out who actually builds the models you're looking at. Again it's a bad choice to listen to people who have had bad experiences. A lot of the time the experience is at least partly their fault. A person who has not had a problem with an RV leaking is a good listen. Sometimes those with problems with them leaking also had problems with trees, etc. Of course, they are not going to tell anyone this or even admit it. One of the major things to look at is the amount of insulation in the walls. Thinner walls cannot have as much. Some cheap RV's don't have any. Try to find a manufacturer's website that explains how the RV is made. One good clue is look at the door. How does it sound when closed? It it so cheaply made it will warp easily when opened and closed. How heavy does it feel? Look at the compartment where the sewer and water controls are. How much care was used there? Take the cushions off the dinette seats and look inside at the construction. Ditto inside the storage bins. If it's aluminum skinned push on the skin, some of it is really thin. Look at painted surfaces and places where they used vinyl wrap. Ripples, bubbles or places where it's not smoothed down. If it's a used RV's do not buy it unless the AC get it cool and the refrigerator will freeze water. Don't even make an offer if they are not working when you look at it. A RV frig starts at $1500 and AC about $1200 for one. Do not listen to the complainers.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I agree that people who complain about their RV breaking/leaking probably aren't accustomed to owning one and poorly maintained it, abused it. You can get many years out of a cheap unit, so long as you are handy and maintain it properly.

That being said expect to replace things. A/C's only last about 5 years, they're not repairable, for the most part. A Coleman Mach 15 is about $800. Easy to replace yourself. Same with absorption fridges, about $900. They don't last forever, and may not even last a year if their ran while not level. Fridge's are a PITA to replace.

Just have to accept that things are going to break on an RV. All RV's. Prepare for that financially and mentally.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree that people who complain about their RV breaking/leaking probably aren't accustomed to owning one and poorly maintained it, abused it. You can get many years out of a cheap unit, so long as you are handy and maintain it properly.

That being said expect to replace things. A/C's only last about 5 years, they're not repairable, for the most part. A Coleman Mach 15 is about $800. Easy to replace yourself. Same with absorption fridges, about $900. They don't last forever, and may not even last a year if their ran while not level. Fridge's are a PITA to replace.

Just have to accept that things are going to break on an RV. All RV's. Prepare for that financially and mentally.
Riccochet,
Very good advice.

Of course YMMV, but I lived full-time in a MH for 3 years, and then in a travel trailer for 2 years back in the mid-90's. I never had a problem with the A/C on either one, which were both original installations. And the MH was 25 years old, and the TT was 20 years old at the times I lived in them.

I did have the fridge go out in the TT after I'd had it only a year. It was a 12v/propane absorption model and at the time the tech guy quoted me $1100 to replace it. No way was I going to pay that much, so I bought a small residential fridge that fit exactly in the same hole and replaced it with that.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grand Design is a top brand
Had a Grand Design fiver in the park that had a collapsed frame. I have a Forest river that is not the best in fit or finish. They all have problems, so if looking at a used trailer, look it over top to bottom and then look again. Every nook and cranny. Especially for water damage. Many of the trailers that were manufactured during the pandemic were just thrown together, and the quality just isn't there.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, let me throw this out to the OP. When I moved from Germany back to Conus (US), my FIL bought us a Class C older Chevrolet Unit to travel. SO that puppy was stocked to the gills with everything and traveled from East Coast to TX. I am not saying get a Class C.

Not know your finances, but have you thought of getting a used Class "A" Motorhome? Just a thought.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The OP hasn't been back on this thread since he posted the question on 23 April.