i want to put a 6.1l in my 5.7l,04 ram 1500 need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi so i want to put a 6.1l in my 04 ram 1500 with 5.7l and so far am running minor mods programmer, full exhaust, pro charger intercooled kit(6-7 psi),85mm throttle body, throttle body spacer,and was wondering if anyone here has done this and knows what all extra needs to be changed for the bigger engine. like so far i've found out because their only on cars the crate engine doesnt have a pulley for a clutch fan so i have to change my fan over to electric.

Things like can i run my same ecu or do i need to find a ecu specifically for 6.1l?

Do i need to upgrade my fuel pump to factor in the extra size of engine/injectors?

are the exhaust manifolds a different pattern or just slightly larger port, if it was just l
arger my headers have quite a bit extra at start so was wonder if i could get away with just die grinding it out or if i need new headers

Or anything else you can think of that i'm missing, or reference to another board with info as this has probably been asked before. thanks for reading and ahead of time for any advice.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would just get a 6.1 based stroker kit. Stick with the 5.7 heads and intake, and just do the stroker short block. This will be much cheaper, easier, and just as effective. Give the guys at Sharadon Performance or Inertia Performance a call. Sharadon has done much more with the boosted engines, so I would start there.

Tell them Matt from Moe's Performance sent you...It might get you a little break on the final price ;)

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^Yep, since you wanna run boost go fordged. The 6.1 is just a fordged crank with hypertonic flat top pistons, which means they have more ringland then the 5.7 pistons.

OP
OP
glram04

glram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i've thought about my options and i've visited intertia motor sports and it $5000 us + core charge so like $5500 just for a 5.7l based 370 stroker shortblock,then im either seperating my old engine for stock intake and heads, then $400 for 6.1l intake and probably $2000 for cylinder heads i'd be at about $8000 when im done, and at Mopar 6.1L Hemi Crate Engine - 425 Horsepower - Mopar Performance Online
I can get a full 6.1l long block crate engine for only 5250 and no crate charge even if i pay $450 for electric fan, $200 for stronger fuel pump, $1000 for new ecu, and $500 for new headers, im still only paying 7400 and i have option to do heads, and cam and such for more hp down the road when i save up more still, and im still unsure if the ecu and fuel pump are needed
i went to sharadon performance online but their set up seems more to get you to come there and talk about options and very few products are listed they say they specialize in 5.7l and 6.1l but thats about all it says, and i'm in canada so a long ways away.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Buying a short block means half the work is done. You could buy a stroker rotating asm and just have your block machined and you install the rotating asm.