ICBC writes off 2022 EV due to cost of battery replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No. Not at all. My point was simply that if one is making a comparison of repair cost to the value of the car there's a difference between retail and actual price paid. This is no different than it is now for any transaction, only more dramatic since many EVs have gotten some pretty heavy government subsidies.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 104040 miles.

I think we're having different conversations. I get why the insurance company would total the car. Let's revisit my post you quoted:

To this specific incident, HT actual F can a component be significantly more than the vehicle it's in? I get labor prices and the like, but wow. I'm curious if this is like sometimes in construction you have to bid a job that you don't actually want for some reason, keep a repeat client happy or whatever, so you bid it stupidly high so you don't actually have to do it.

A little research with the part number, I found the OEM battery pack at Hyundai dealers in the US for $31k. I believe the original incident is in Canada, and guys here have complained stuff is more expensive there than conversion rates would accunt for. So either the dealer is ******* him like a house cat, or Hyundai is ******* Canada collectively or both, but there's zero reason for the battery and install to be that high. Still stupid high, mind you, but not that high.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think we're having different conversations. I get why the insurance company would total the car. Let's revisit my post you quoted:

A little research with the part number, I found the OEM battery pack at Hyundai dealers in the US for $31k. I believe the original incident is in Canada, and guys here have complained stuff is more expensive there than conversion rates would accunt for. So either the dealer is ******* him like a house cat, or Hyundai is ******* Canada collectively or both, but there's zero reason for the battery and install to be that high. Still stupid high, mind you, but not that high.
That would probably be the full retail cost with labour,but on alot of things,you can basically double the cost for Canada.

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ya but we have JT looking out for our best interests...

But my 2cents I will NEVER buy a fully EV vehicle... hybrid likely because you have a secondary power source

I don't think EV buyers think about long term cost and depreciation of their "new tech" vehicles....

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll cross it off my 'places to retire to' list. :D
But you get " free heath care" now they are talking about free dental, I could have used that last few yrs. Of course you know where the free comes from.
But the govn. **** bag is taking all the AR15's away, that crap is in the 3rd yrs.

I don't know why anyone should be surprised at these costs to repair.
There is a story about some guy buying a used one, Nissan? and a few months later battery died, off warranty and he was ******** because of cost of replacement.

WTH would you think the owner sold it when it's off warranty. As is par here he was ******** to the TV station. I think he paid about $10 or 12K

I do like my battery lawn mower , but the battery is what you are paying for, the mower is just a small part, same with all my Milwaukee tools , they are great, but the cost is silly. The battery for the new Milw. mower , that I did not buy as its too big and heavy is a 12amp x 2 at $350.00 each. I bought a real used 50hp diesel tractor one time for that price.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
PS re car insurance , Sask has Govn't insurance you have to have, I have no problem with that.
I believe BC is the same , I have a son out there, so I think that adds costs to parts .
That 1967 New Yorker in my sig picture windshield was 400.oo cash , 750 insurance cost yrs back, which insurance would have paid for, but there is a 250.oo deductible and my discount would have gone away, so it was better just to pay 400.oo to the glass shop.

On my Ram, I pay extra for glass coverage because of the cost of these rain sensing windshields, so my cost would be $100.oo. Not a big deal now , but I use to be on gravel roads a bit when still working. I do hate that silly windshield when I am trying to clean it, and the wipers are fighting me.

Us old guys get free fishing now as well, problem being I find fishing boring and the granddaughter dropped my best rod in the river one time.

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ford ambulance in a town near me burst into flames inside the garage. Insurance company totaled the ambulance rather than fix it.
Then the building was totaled also.
That's ICE for ya.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looks like an E-bike caught fire on a Toronto subway car today,by the looks of it,the subway car appears to have substained a fair amount of damage from the lithium battery fire. Apparently this has happened in Europe more then a few times.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford ambulance in a town near me burst into flames inside the garage. Insurance company totaled the ambulance rather than fix it.
Then the building was totaled also.
That's ICE for ya.
So you think ev is safer?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not saying that. Just saying fires happen in both vehicles.
Differance being you can usually put out an ICE fire,and once out it's out,putting an EV fire out not so much,as it can burst back into flames several days later.Throw in the fact the majority of fire departments aren't equipped to handle an EV fire.
Question for you,if you were putting out a fire,which one would you rather be putting out

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Differance being you can usually put out an ICE fire,and once out it's out,putting an EV fire out not so much,as it can burst back into flames several days later.Throw in the fact the majority of fire departments aren't equipped to handle an EV fire.
Question for you,if you were putting out a fire,which one would you rather be putting out
The one that I am aware of. In the case of the Ford pickups and some other vehicles lately, there were notices to not park them in your garage.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ain't goin much better for Elmo Mush disciples this week -

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
But you get " free heath care" now they are talking about free dental, I could have used that last few yrs. Of course you know where the free comes from.
But the govn. **** bag is taking all the AR15's away, that crap is in the 3rd yrs.

I don't know why anyone should be surprised at these costs to repair.
There is a story about some guy buying a used one, Nissan? and a few months later battery died, off warranty and he was ******** because of cost of replacement.

WTH would you think the owner sold it when it's off warranty. As is par here he was ******** to the TV station. I think he paid about $10 or 12K

I do like my battery lawn mower , but the battery is what you are paying for, the mower is just a small part, same with all my Milwaukee tools , they are great, but the cost is silly. The battery for the new Milw. mower , that I did not buy as its too big and heavy is a 12amp x 2 at $350.00 each. I bought a real used 50hp diesel tractor one time for that price.
This s_H.. I_ T_ E ain't free, Brother!
Our dictator levies heavy costs on canucks for this....
Heck... sends it elsewhere and dumps our own vets and serving members... but that's a whole different story....

As for EV's.... to your point... how the heck you going to flog a used EV....
it's all politricks the pushing of EV... North America's power grid couldn't support it... so we all know why this is happening and where it's going ;)