Icon 2.5 coilovers: how high? Black Friday help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For those of you with the Icon 2.5 coilovers in front...

What lift height do they come set at from Icon? Icon says it's the "recommended" height...

What lift height did you actually see?

Did you adjust height further once installed? If so, how much?

How much more adjustability (to increase lift) is built in before you exceed the allowable adjustment range?

I'm looking for about 2.5" at least of lift...

And...have you had any issues? Leaking? Premature rebuilding needs? Worth the ca$h?

THANKS! I would have just called Icon, but they are closed till Monday. Im trying to take advantage of Black Friday deals...and the clock is ticking....

PS: checkout socalsupertrucks and sdhq for radical suspension deals...or Nick from GotExhaust (forum user) will hook you up too!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They come preset at 2.5" for the Toyotas, Icon states in their site you can adjust from 0-3", you can actually go higher if you were not paying attention and keept turning the collar :), as a ball bark, every 5 threads showing on the shaft is the equivalent of 1", but again, this is for the Taco/FJ's i'll have to relearnd all this crap with the Kings i bought as well, no idea how they come preset at, but if i have to guess they'll be anything between 2 and 2.5". if i remember correctly, every 1" of thread showing is almost 2" of lift, again, all this depends of the application where they're mounted, coil spring pressure rate etc.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How to adjust the height, i'm thinking we won't be able to use a spanner wrench to adjust the collar because of the shape of the strut mount, you'll see once you get this puppies, they're massive :), and being enclosed in the mount, i doubt a normal spanner wrench will fit in there, You can alwas cut the tip of a screw driver and make your own punch tool to adjust the collar.

Edited: it seems Icon makes a tool that might work well for that space, it's called Icon 2 pin spanner wrench, PART #: ICON-198000

Or if you want to save some, Harbor Freight Long drive pin punch set, you'll use the 5/16
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

Good idea to measure from the center of the wheel to the fender edge, so that way we don't take into considedration the tire height.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Uh oh...just noticed the Icon website says recommended wheel is 17" with 4.75" backspacing. I have Ram Rebel wheels. I think the specs are: 17" x 8"...with an offset of 18.05mm...which means about 5.2" backspacing?

So...does this mean they won't fit because more back spacing means the wheel sits closer in toward the coils, right? is Icon saying 4.75" or less of backspacing ... or ... 4.75" or more?

Wish I could just call Icon...

AND on top of that, I've been adding up a Fox 2.0 coilover and rear setup and finding I could save quite a bit of money! So, here we go with more reviews and comparison videos for Fox vs Icon...When will it end? Hopefully by Cyber Monday!!!

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The recommendation for wheel specs is to make sure you have no rubbing. It will fit but you could rub in certain situations like if your flexed out at full lock. The spanner wrench is what you would use to adjust the coil overs.

Send me the fox part #'s your looking and I'll get you a quote on them too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be ok, the strut goes behind the UCA if you will, if you're not rubbing now, you should not rub after, those specs sound more for the people that want to fit larger than stock tires overall, you’ll rub the UCA before you rub the strut, and I don’t see how you’ll rub the strut, even with 35’s, worst case you’ll need wheel spacers, and not because of the strut, but say you decided to run 35’s in those wheels, depending on the ucas, some will allow you factory backspace, I think Zone, some others may not and you’ll want to space the wheels out or go aftermarket with more negative offset.