Ideas or Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grim364

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 1500 old fob quit, cleaned circuits multiple times then broke down and bought new set from amazon. New set was programmed with pin but only starts the truck. The fob will flash the lights on truck, no panic button but if I lock it from inside I can unlock by pressing lock on key fob??????? Any thoughts or suggestions I have checked most fuses removed my remote start to no change. Also, verified that fcc id and part number were compatible before purchase.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 1500 old fob quit, cleaned circuits multiple times then broke down and bought new set from amazon. New set was programmed with pin but only starts the truck. The fob will flash the lights on truck, no panic button but if I lock it from inside I can unlock by pressing lock on key fob??????? Any thoughts or suggestions I have checked most fuses removed my remote start to no change. Also, verified that fcc id and part number were compatible before purchase.
I am spit balling. Our trucks have a signal receiver. How far can you be from your Ram and the FOB still works?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

grim364

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I lock the doors from the inside I can unlock them about 60 feet away pressing the lock button on my fob

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You know, O'Reilly and I think other parts stores have a FOB tester that receives the signal strength of the FOB. All you would loose is time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to ask;
Was the Fob that you bought on Amazon, Brand new in the plastic bag or Used or Refurbished ?

OP
OP
G

grim364

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to ask;
Was the Fob that you bought on Amazon, Brand new in the plastic bag or Used or Refurbished ?

The ones I purchased were listed new in the plastic bags and were programmed by the dealer tool

OP
OP
G

grim364

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You know, O'Reilly and I think other parts stores have a FOB tester that receives the signal strength of the FOB. All you would loose is time.

Thanks I'm going to check there tomorrow

OP
OP
G

grim364

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just an update contacted the seller they sent replacement fobs that programmed correctly and works with the aftermarket remote start.

AZRam20102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have had similar problems with the key fobs for my RAM 1500 2012. I tried everything from replacing batteries to cleaning. Even got new one from dealer which lasted about 3-4 years. Finally bought a pair of "new" fobs off Amazon (cheep). Couldn't get them to work so went to a locksmith here in Phoenix. He took his computer out to my truck and programmed both new fobs. They work.

His advice was to keep an old one in the truck so that if the new one quit opening the doors and such, I could open with a key and use the old one start and get home. He also cautioned that he didn't know how long they would last but when they fail he was available to fix.

Been over a year and doing well. My advice is to find a locksmith you trust and have them program and check out your fob. If like the on I found, will offer to sell verified fob/s but will also suggest to use the "new" ones until they fail.