Identify the box..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlockDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi everyone, I'm continuing2012rambox.jpg my attempts at getting my wrecked 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Diesel running and have noticed there is a box missing from the interior compartment, just bellow the heater box on the passenger side. Can anyone tell me what this box is and what it is for?

I've gone ahead and bought a used ignition switch with matching key but the truck still will not show me any signs of life. Perhaps t hv his box is part of my problem?

When I turn the key and try to crank, I can hear a very slight click from the engine compartment.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not sure what it is, but maybe looking at some heater repair videos someone may talk about it in their repair process. Good luck

Corrected my first sentence above. Wish could help more, but maybe somewhere in a repair video for another component in that area it might be identified. Going to have to do some searching, no one so far knows what it is. Maybe post in Gen 3, might be same thing in that series and you could get lucky.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Deleted

Last edited:

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
It's the Drive Train Control Module (DTCM), It controls all the transfer case shift functions. It's possible with it missing that it's preventing the truck from starting due to ignition interlocks.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think thats where the module I had to tap into with the switch I added to make the automatic 4x4 transfer case lock up like a normal part time transfer case does.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Unless the 2012 is a lot different from my 2016, this is what I got off of ALLDATAdiy;
"The DTCM is located in the passenger footwell, below the HVAC blower."
With this picture;

upload_2020-7-8_7-16-55.jpeg

224431311.jpg

Last edited:

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
probably depends on what type transfer case ya have and whether it has a manual shifter or electronic switching as to if its needed.

OP
OP
BigBlockDaddy

BigBlockDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks a bunch folks. Yes, I finally spoke to a diesel mechanic (saved his number!) who informed me about the transfer case control module. The dealer confirmed my truck has a New Venture 273 transfer case as opposed to the Borg Warner 4446 transfer case so I was able to track down a box.

The used instrument cluster now shows signs of life, including what appears to be the correct mileage for my truck, at 91000 KMs. I'm surprised it does not display the 188000 KMs of the truck it came from, so that's a bonus.

The truck still will not start. The cluster shows many errors, from light bulbs not working to the 4 wheel drive needing servicing.

I notice another missing module located next to the glove box. I found out that one is the hands off module. I'm working to find one of those now and hopefully that allows the truck to start. If it does not, I guess I will have to tow the truck to the stealership and have them program the used components to get the truck actually runnning..

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You have power to the cluster which is half the battle. Make sure all the control modules are installed and working before you start chasing wire.

Deal with the incorrect mileage last - this is the easiest of your issues.