if you had to upgrade your truck....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His delivery may have been very direct, but they are all valid points. In short, the OP needs to decide what’s being towed in order to figure out what he needs to tow it with.

DITTO

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
My wife wishes it had vanity mirrors and I envy the 8.4 screen. And maybe bedlights, but I really think that’s it

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't mind a little more payload, better gears (I have the 3.21's now) and maybe some 6.4l grunt, and the high end stereo...but for what we do now, mine's just about okay. I'd need more towing headroom if we upgraded from our pop-up to a TT - but that's $$$ on top of more $$$, and I'm not made of money.

There are limits to everything, especially when retirement is within sight.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not a WHOLE new truck but I think I would strongly consider a crew cab next time.

I still like/want/"need" the 6-4 bed, but the extra space in the rear of the crew cab would make my truck like a luxury vehicle.

Could go as far as a crew cab with the 6-4 bed but then there is no chance in hell it would ever fit in my garage.

But I have updated my Big Horn to something resembling a better trim level - leather heated seats, chrome capped mirrors, LED tails, AlphaRex headlights and the "wave mesh" type grill.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got lucky with the lot purchase I made. Wasn't quite ready for the new truck buy at $55k for what I wanted. Got a 2016 4x4 8speed hemi with 3.92s for $25k. Rated for 10,400 lbs but I rarely go over 7000. Didn't have to upgrade anything since it was loaded, just replaced all the chrome with black components, then sold the chrome ones to pay for it.

My friend got his fifth wheel, the largest one you can get and wound up buying a 3500/Cummins/Aisin to pull it [which he doesn't much cause they live in it down in south Texas]. But he can pull that behemoth anywhere with the truck he got.

My next one will be a 2500/hemi...TRX if I can swing it. I doubt I will ever tow more than 7k since it's just me hauling a few logs now and then to my sawmill. No wife, happy life [MUCH cheaper] and no camper!

That said I will get the options to tow at least 10k, 12.5 would be perfect if they offer it in that model.

serp16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My opinion is find the trailer you want first, then buy the truck to tow it. If you get the truck first you are locked into whatever towing/payload restrictions that come with that truck. My 2500 Tradesman w/ 6.4 is rated at roughly 3k payload and 12,500 towing capacity. It tows our 5th wheel extremely well, although I wouldn't want to go any bigger with this truck. Our trailer weighs around 9,500 fully loaded with a pin weight of around 1,600 lbs.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
so the time has come, and the lady wants a Travel trailer... I'm looking into upgrading the current ram 1500 to a 2500 diesel. Question is, if your upgrading your truck, what did you not get now that you would like to get in the next truck???? Yes some mods we can do our self, but if I can get it with already added.... BONUS

my short list...
dual zone temp control

Dual zone is nice BUT I dread the day it fails. I thought about going diesel but when I thought about a extra dollar per gallon and higher repair bills . A Hemi just seems like a better choice. Then with a supercharger I come out cheaper than buying a diesel yet have almost as good of torque numbers and better hp numbers. But that was my choice. Also I am in no wise knocking diesels. I just feel like after doing the math a Hemi with a supercharger is a better way to go .

enforcer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2019
Engine
6.4L, 5.7L
Definitely agree with determining what trailer you want first before thinking about the truck to pull it ... consider renting if possible, so you get a good feel for what you would be getting into, RVs lose value quickly and can leave you stuck with a driveway ornament you don't use.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe some have already noted this but I sure wish I had a cargo camera.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Talking about upgrades or options that my truck didn't have, but wish it did (some items I've already replaced or installed). Info about the truck: 2011 2500 CTD, 4X4, basic ST, had 113,000 miles when I bought it used last year, now has 130,500 miles.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1.Get one of the middle to upper level trim packages (Laramie, Big Horn, Limited, etc) that would include better interior lighting. My ST only had one dome light in the middle of the cab. Last winter I bought a kit to add the map lights up on the ceiling above the rear view mirror. I didn't get the kit installed until Labor Day weekend. New extra lights greatly improved cab lighting up front. Much easier now to read or write notes (like my mileage log after fueling up). Spent over $150 on parts, installed myself. Took 2 1/2 days to get installed: (removed headliner, and a lot interior trim to be able to remove the headliner to be able to install the light kit.)

2. my ST had very basic AM/FM radio (no Bluetooth to allow hands free talking on the cell phone). Ended up replacing it with a high quality Kenwood radio and added back up camera. Spent nearly $2,000 on new stereo and replaced the speakers; all professionally installed. I enjoy the back up camera (located in the handle that opens the tailgate) but would also like to have the camera on the back of the cab to view the cargo bed. This would be very helpful while backing up to hook up to a 5th wheel.

3. My ST didn't have the upper glove box, just a large open bin. I found kit online and installed. Forget how much I paid for the new replacement box but think it was about $200.

4. Replaced crappy reflector headlights with aftermarket projector headlights. Spend about $350 for the new assembly. Ended up also upgrading light bulbs; spent another $150 or more.

5. Replaced my chrome steel rims and the 285R70/17 tires with 285R70/18 tires & 18 factory aluminum rims. These were "pull-offs" from 2018 Laramie truck. The dealer had modified the 2018 RAM 2500 by installing a suspension kit and also installing aftermarket rims & tires. Spent $1,000 for the whole set of wheels and tires. The tires had less than 100 miles when I bought them.

6. Replaced factory engine block heater with new heater and cord that mounts the plug to the front bumper for easier use. Spent $15 or $25 at GenosGarage.com

7. added black cloth dashmat to cut down on sun glare off the dash. I've done this all my cars and trucks. Highly recommend doing this.

8. added Bedrug bedliner and ACCESS roll-up tonneau cover. This is my 2nd truck that I've done this with. Highly recommend this.

9. Added fender flares and splash guards. Flairs mostly for improved looks. Next time I might go a little wider for extra protection from road debris kicked up by the tires.

10. Added window flares/vents to side windows. Allows windows to be slightly opened when the truck is parked to allow ventilation with worrying about rain coming in.

11. Added black bed rails - mainly for looks. Spent $250

12. Added cabin air filter - $15

13. Added air intake filter for the cabin (mounted just under the windshield wipers - helps remove outside dust and soot smells from the engine compartment). Spent $20 - highly recommend this one

14. Added front bug shield. Helped to hide lots of small bug and rock chips to front of the hood and improved the looks of the truck. $175

WISH LIST:

15. Wish truck had locking front hubs for the 4X4. Budgeting $2500-$3,000

16. Wish my truck had the stereo control buttons on the steering wheel. And also wished it had the heated steering wheel. *** Highly wish I had this one. Have it on my other car. Very nice option!!!

17. Wish to get the new Banks rear differential air cooled cover. Est cost $250 - $300. low on priority list.

18. Truck has black round nerf bar side steps, but are damaged and rusting. Would like to replace with wider running board steps for larger step to place foot while getting in and out of the cab. Or even consider the electric raised and lowered steps. Est cost $750 to $2,300.

19. Want to add cloth covered arm and elbow pads for the side doors. The hard plastic armrests are uncomfortable.

20. Would be nice to have a rear slider window for the back rear window for extra ventilation, but not bad without it either.

Here are some pics of the truck:

20190413_103850.jpg

20191103_104011.jpg

20191103_120621.jpg

20191103_104141.jpg

20191103_120739.jpg

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A few extra pics to go with the prior post. These show what improvements I made to the truck since I've owned it.

20181111_164934.jpg

20181111_165030.jpg

20190412_221647.jpg

20190412_221747.jpg

20190413_071944.jpg

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I would have probably gone for the upgraded Laramie leather interior. It also has more of the upgraded electronic controls.

Pat_H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I pulled up the link on this one as I am about to "upgrade" my truck, but not in the way meant here.

I have three Dodge trucks, with my newest one being a 2007 4x4 D3500. I like the truck, but it has nearly 180,000 miles on it, I have rust above one wheel well, a crack in my box, a badly broken windshield and four nearly bald tires. As a crew cab with a long box, I get it high centered on snow from time to time as well.

As its a decade old and my long suffering spouse was urging me to look for a replacement, I went in to look at the new ones completely oblivious to the fact that standards are now a thing of the past, and I drive standards.

So, as I don't want an automatic transmission, I'm getting set to upgrade this truck, by putting on larger tires, lifting it 2", getting new rings and pinions to retain the gearing, getting the rust and crack fixed, and getting after market lockers installed.

I suppose this is just nuts.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pull trailers for a living, so the last thing I'm going to do is pull a big ol travel trailer while I'm on vacation. That's a lot of work, and a lot to be responsible for. But if I did:

I'd get the biggest Diesel engine available. I'd get the lowest rear end gears available with a limited slip/locker if available. I'd get the toughest transmission available, preferably a manual.

Id get one of the mid to upper itrim levels. They're all really nice.

That's going to be a huge pile of money. Don't skimp. Get a little extra. Pay a little extra, because you'll get only one shot at this. If you buy the wrong truck, and have to swap it out in a year or 2, then it gets really expensive.

I understand what your saying since you pull trailers for a living and are probably heavy loaded. But depending on what kind of travel trailer you have you don't need all that extra bs. The automatics now days are much better than a standard the new stock Ram diesels have more than enough power and if this guy is only going to pull a travel trailer a few times a year he should stick with the 6.4 Hemi gas. Diesels are too expensive on maintenance and cost around 10-k up front when buying a new truck,you can sure get a lot of nice upgrades for the 10-k. The only ones that really need a diesel are the people that actually work them for a living. That is the only time they are actually better than gas engines, they are a waste of money to just ride around in so you can look pretty .

Gary276

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Bought a new 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 3.92s, 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed trans, added Timber Grove airbags, Carven muffler, with the intent of towing our TT that had a dry weight of 6800 and payload of about 2000 that put me at about 9k. I put 86000 miles on the 1500 in 4 years, towed the trailer as far west as San Antonio TX, on I10......and back, to northern GA hill country, Key West, all over. I was of the opinion that the 1500 was enough but I felt maxed out when towing. I would be in the right lane cruise set on 65, I could pass slower traffic if needed....but it stayed in 6th gear the majority of the time shifting to 7th on a down hill grade, had to shut off the cruise control at ALL overpasses because to maintain 65 it would shift into 5th and RPMs were way too much and very loud. I could go about 200 miles on a full tank of gas getting 6-8 MPG when towing. Bottom line is she could do it but she was maxed out, this is from experience not just an opinion. I loved that 1500 with the Hemi, but had to trade her in while she still had some warranty left. I now own a 2019 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Cummins with 3.73 gears. The difference in towing is obvious. Not looking to get a bigger TT just wanted the longevity of the Cummins. Hope this helps you make a decision .

Brane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Before buying a truck, you really should choose your trailer. Here’s why: are you weekend camping? or taking an occasional cross country trip? Or full time travel? These will influence your trailer decision.
Once you make that choice, get the weights of the trailer empty and max load. You need to know tongue weight for a travel trailer and pin weight for a 5th wheel. The manuals on these trucks that say things like tow capacity 17000 lbs is mostly inaccurate. You need to know your GVWR, payload, tongue/pin weight as well as trailer weight and GVCWR (gross vehicle combined weight rating). If you want to understand this accurately, go to BTBRV (big truck big RV) on YouTube and search for GVCWR or GCWR and you will find his video. This guy tows his house, he will tell you what is safe and realistic. I know people will always say they pulled a million tons with a Ford Ranger but pulling a load and stopping a load are often drastically different experiences. Do you want to try a downhill steep grade in the Rockies with an overmatched truck based on some random person’s statement? Or do you want to use actual numbers a legitimate math used by the trucking companies to protect your stuff and your family.
Hope this helps!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mr Smith, we will have to agree to disagree. I'll take one big clutch over a transmission full of little clutches anytime. Give me a good old Eaton 5 speed.

Diesels are expensive even if you're going to work them. A Diesel holds no mystique or glamour for me. I've worked with them all day, every work day, for a lot of years. They're not fast (at least the ones I drive), but you can't slow em down!

The OP asked what I would do. The truth. Honestly if it was me, and I only pulled a trailer a few times a year, I'd RENT a truck. Final answer. Lol.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mr Smith, we will have to agree to disagree. I'll take one big clutch over a transmission full of little clutches anytime. Give me a good old Eaton 5 speed.

Diesels are expensive even if you're going to work them. A Diesel holds no mystique or glamour for me. I've worked with them all day, every work day, for a lot of years. They're not fast (at least the ones I drive), but you can't slow em down!

The OP asked what I would do. The truth. Honestly if it was me, and I only pulled a trailer a few times a year, I'd RENT a truck. Final answer. Lol.

Good answer. I've owned two Ram Cummings and I liked the 2005 5.9 the best. Had plenty of power pulled my fifth wheel trailer fine and didn't need DEF! The new Ram Cummings to me cost too much to buy plus as already stated costly on upkeep. Besides I like the ride in my 2019 1500 better LOL!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a UPS Driver. My old package car had the 5.9 Cummins. What a Beast! It had an Eaton 5 speed manual behind that Cummins. I loved that truck.

Could those 5.9s be turned up with a screwdriver? The guys at the John Deere dealership that I delivered to, offered to turn it up.

That truck weighed 9600 pounds unladen. I made 110 stops a day, and it'd get upper 11s mpg. It had a nice Low 1st gear, too.