if you had to upgrade your truck....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
so the time has come, and the lady wants a Travel trailer... I'm looking into upgrading the current ram 1500 to a 2500 diesel. Question is, if your upgrading your truck, what did you not get now that you would like to get in the next truck???? Yes some mods we can do our self, but if I can get it with already added.... BONUS

my short list...
dual zone temp control

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I know that what I'm about to say is going to make everyone freak out, but... next truck, I think I'll go for a baby diesel. Out here, diesel pumps outnumber gasoline ones, the fuel mileage is fantastic, and w/ a factory extended warranty, why not?

Meanwhile, maybe a couple years from now I'll break down and buy a set of pumpkin guts to get a 3.55 gear set instead of the 3.21 gears I have now.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Whats up with the 1500? should pull it fine.

Should pull what fine? You don't even know the weight of the trailer he wants to pull. So your 1500 can pull a 18,000lb travel trailer just fine?

OP. First thing you need to figure out is what you want to pull or pull in the future. Make sure a 2500 will cover what you need. Biggest mistake I see in moving to a HD truck is not calculating your needs and wishing you would have gone up to a 3500+.

Next is making sure you have the correct hitch for your needs. Do you need a 5th wheel hitch? If so do you want the factory set up for it or after market?

Heated and cooled seats maybe? Axle ratio? (will be dictated by your trailer weight and how often you are towing)

These are just a few things that are not so easy to change after the fact that you might want to consider.

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
upgrades my truck already has every option. Possible a transfer tank, plus a gas tank with generator so you don't have to idle your truck to get Diesel is costly. Make sure you get 4x4

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All depends on how big of a travel trailer you get. They come in all sorts of shape, size and weight.

Most 2500 may get a bit close to hitting payload numbers on 5th wheelers so maybe a 3500 srw is what you need. Me personally, I dont ever see us in a big 5th wheel. We'd be fine in a 2500 for larger 30ft TT like a rockwood ultralite.

I would consider the 5th gen ram 2500 with the new 8spd gas truck vs the diesel. It's much cheaper to acquire and you wont have to worry about the scr system.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:D I got a USFS fleet Tradesman so uhh... you name it my truck doesn't have it! But it did come with LSD, the 44-45 T-case and towing so most of what matters for me is there.

Wish it had power windows on days with good weather, bit of a reach over to the far side for slow rides on quiet streets. None of this helps the question you asked..

So here's something that may actually be useful for the question at hand: upfitter switches. I can't stand cluttered up mystery switches or overly complicated cyborg cabs some people run and the OE upfitter switch panel is just plain nice for aux lights. Since you'll be towing a long trailer you can mount some narrow beams to the back of your cab (or a headache rack) to light up the trailer tires if you need to inspect them while driving at night or check curb clearance while going around a corner, maybe some deer/livestock driving cannons up front, etc and keep the dash nice and clean.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Should pull what fine? You don't even know the weight of the trailer he wants to pull. So your 1500 can pull a 18,000lb travel trailer just fine?

OP. First thing you need to figure out is what you want to pull or pull in the future. Make sure a 2500 will cover what you need. Biggest mistake I see in moving to a HD truck is not calculating your needs and wishing you would have gone up to a 3500+.

Next is making sure you have the correct hitch for your needs. Do you need a 5th wheel hitch? If so do you want the factory set up for it or after market?

Heated and cooled seats maybe? Axle ratio? (will be dictated by your trailer weight and how often you are towing)

These are just a few things that are not so easy to change after the fact that you might want to consider.

Georgia, figures a smart ass reply.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I grew up over in the Melbourne area. Spent 40+ years there then out to Colorado for several years and now in Georgia.

Surfed Melbourne many times. I primarily surfed in front of Patrick AFB but I’d go as far south as Sebastian Inlet. I still visit friends in Cocoa. I did get the opportunity to snowboard / ski Beaver Creek Co in 2016. Ended up living in northern VA. I lived in Alpharetta Ga for a short stint.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If I was to order a truck next time, I'd spec 4.10 gears. A power adjustable driver's seat would be nice vs the one in my tradesman.

I'd seriously consider 3500 series next time for added capacity even though I'm no where near maxed out with my 2500/6.4.

The 2500/payload issues are more with the diesel trucks, because of the weight of the Cummins. They have lower, 2000s payloads, my truck is just over 3100.

Beyond that, there's nothing else id change. I really like this ram.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pull trailers for a living, so the last thing I'm going to do is pull a big ol travel trailer while I'm on vacation. That's a lot of work, and a lot to be responsible for. But if I did:

I'd get the biggest Diesel engine available. I'd get the lowest rear end gears available with a limited slip/locker if available. I'd get the toughest transmission available, preferably a manual.

Id get one of the mid to upper itrim levels. They're all really nice.

That's going to be a huge pile of money. Don't skimp. Get a little extra. Pay a little extra, because you'll get only one shot at this. If you buy the wrong truck, and have to swap it out in a year or 2, then it gets really expensive.

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, he asked what YOU would upgrade on YOUR TRUCK, that's it lol. Not sure why the fuss about what he's planning on pulling and why he needs to go to a 2500 lol.

I'd get a sunroof!

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Never saw an 18,000 # Travel Trailer. maybe a 5th wheel but that's not what he said, is it?

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP, I got everything I wanted because I ordered my truck. Didn't buy it off a lot. That was in 2015 and ordered the Mega Cab in my sig line. Several years later we became interested in getting a TT or 5er. While we still don't have a trailer of any sort to pull my next truck will be pretty much be the same I have now but will be in a Silver color, with Diesel and 3500 flavor. And yes, I will order my next truck too. IMO, buying off the lot is a mistake

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Skrap is right. Order your next vehicle. Get exactly what you want/need.

I learned my lesson when I bought my truck off the lot.

A lot of things can be added after the purchase, but things like gear changes with a LSD gets really expensive real quick. I really like my 4.10s, and I'm always glad I did that, but if and when I sell my truck, I won't get an extra penny for it. And factory 3.92s would have sufficed.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only options I don’t have on my 17 Rebel that I would have liked is the power memory seats and Ram boxes. Because of the package I don’t believe the memory seat were available as an option in the Rebel.

This will also be my last black truck. Getting to old to keep this much black paint clean. :(