If you have a 8HP70 Trans and have had a shudder...Please tell us how you fixed it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great! Glad to hear you're back on the road. That was an economical way to go.

Probably last you many more miles. :favorites13:

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So...I added 2 ounces of Shudder Fixx to my 8HP70 and after 24 hours, it has eliminated the shudder and locking/unlocking at cruise!!!!!!! This stuff is a miracle worker.

I realize this is a temporary band-aid, but still, for $10 it bought me some time.

Could you list the steps you used to add 2 ounces of Shudder Fixx since these models don't have a dipstick?

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you list the steps you used to add 2 ounces of Shudder Fixx since these models don't have a dipstick?
Sure, used a plastic bottle with a curved straw and drew out 2 oz and then used it to add back the contents of the shudder fix via the fluid level plug, Its a pain but doable.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sure, used a plastic bottle with a curved straw and drew out 2 oz and then used it to add back the contents of the shudder fix via the fluid level plug, Its a pain but doable.
Was the engine running when you removed and then added fluid?

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my Torque Converter with an upgraded aftermarket unit, its been smooth sailing ever since.
What brand of aftermarket torque converter did you buy? Part number please and where did you buy it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What brand of aftermarket torque converter did you buy? Part number please and where did you buy it?
Talk to Matt Fikac at Moes for your torque convertor selection,he has a fair bit of experience with after market convertors in the 8 speed trucks,and usually won't lead you to far wrong

Tk91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 srt swapped
I had the shudder in my 2014 QC Laramie 4x4 5.7 with a 8HP70 tranny with 3.21 gears and 260,000 KM. I did several things over about 1.5 years. Finally this past weekend my Son (Auto Mechanic) and I did a tranny swap. I found a tranny out of a 2016 ram with only 60,000 KM on it. No more shudder. I have only driven about 200 KM on this one but smooth as silk. Only issue is I can no longer use the gear shift on the steering wheel to manually change gears. I went to the dealer today to see I need to program the new tranny to my truck and was given a bunch of BS. Basically I was told that they could do it for a small charge of 200.00 CDN there is a chance it could fix it or cause other problems and may cause it not to work at all. So for now I am doing more research.
Hello my friend . Wanted to know if you swapped your old tcm or had to reprogram the new one when you changed your transmission ? Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello my friend . Wanted to know if you swapped your old tcm or had to reprogram the new one when you changed your transmission ? Thanks
When i put a brand new 8 speed in my 14,i was told not to drive it,till it'd been married to the truck,so my dealer tech buddy who specializes in the 8 speeds,came over to my place with the dealers tool ,after hours and programmed the new transmission to the truck right on my driveway.All it cost me was some of my wifes baking,and she fed him supper.
Whether that applies to a used transmission i'm not sure though

rsfdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lifetime ends at 70 to 90 thousand miles...
Bought the new Mopar fluid, changed the filter, and then developed the shudder.
Added some shudder stop stuff soon after the shudder started. seemed to help for a second.
Saw some add on parts online for fixing transmission issues. May try that next.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lifetime ends at 70 to 90 thousand miles...
Bought the new Mopar fluid, changed the filter, and then developed the shudder.
Added some shudder stop stuff soon after the shudder started. seemed to help for a second.
Saw some add on parts online for fixing transmission issues. May try that next.
Keep us posted.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone tried this?
or
My buddy is running it in his 750 rwhp truck with an upgraded 8HP70. I asked him about his thoughts on it,but he really couldn't say much about it,as he had it installed when he had his 8HP70 upgraded with more clutches/steels etc.
I don't think it's a bad upgrade thats for sure.
If you spring for it,keep us updated on your thoughts on the Zip Kit

rsfdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I certainly will.
One mechanic said to take it to the dealer to see if there is a software update...
Not a bad thought

fast1al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm experiencing the shudder on my 2014 Ram 5.7 with ZF-8HP-70 with 140,000 miles. Its been happening for 2+ years. Dodge dealer did software update (no help) and the removed the pan. Valve body was good but they diagnosed the issue to be leaking seal in the transmission. I have no idea how they could be that detailed with the diagnosis without tearing down the transmission...it feels more like a TQ converter going bad. That said they refilled the transmission with new fluid and the shudder has gotten better though i expect it'll gradually get worse again. Next step will be taking it to a local transmission shop and adding shudder fix. FYI dealer's quote for a new rebuilt transmission and install was $8k and local transmission shop quoted $6500 for a jasper rebuilt transmission. I don't believe either quote included a new TQ converter.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read all the posts on here about transmission shudder, but I've not seen many solutions or fixes.

So, if you have the 8HP70 transmission, have experience shudder between shifts and fixed it, please tell us what you did to fix it
It's complicated, and seeking a "quick fix" isn't going to happen, necessarily.

The simplest fix is to use the newest LV fluid with the blue label from Mobil one.

IF damage hasn't already exceeded minimal, that will likely fix it.

The repairs beyond that include installing a billet torque converter and a shift kit specifically designed to address converter shudder.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm experiencing the shudder on my 2014 Ram 5.7 with ZF-8HP-70 with 140,000 miles. Its been happening for 2+ years. Dodge dealer did software update (no help) and the removed the pan. Valve body was good but they diagnosed the issue to be leaking seal in the transmission. I have no idea how they could be that detailed with the diagnosis without tearing down the transmission...it feels more like a TQ converter going bad. That said they refilled the transmission with new fluid and the shudder has gotten better though i expect it'll gradually get worse again. Next step will be taking it to a local transmission shop and adding shudder fix. FYI dealer's quote for a new rebuilt transmission and install was $8k and local transmission shop quoted $6500 for a jasper rebuilt transmission. I don't believe either quote included a new TQ converter.
Ma Mopars rebuilt transmissions come with the convertor,whether it's a new convertor or a rebuilt convertor i'm not sure on though.The one thing they don't come with is a new thermal management unit,that you have to repurpose off your old transmission.

Hitneveryhole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer replaced the transmission. Then 2 years later it did it again. I traded the truck in lol
It's the torque converter. 100%. Change it and you will notice the shutter is gone. Cooked fluid not changed at proper intervals or never changed causes a "varnish" to build up and it shudders at low speed. New torque converter = No shudder.