If you have a 8HP70 Trans and have had a shudder...Please tell us how you fixed it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So...I added 2 ounces of Shudder Fixx to my 8HP70 and after 24 hours, it has eliminated the shudder and locking/unlocking at cruise!!!!!!! This stuff is a miracle worker.

I realize this is a temporary band-aid, but still, for $10 it bought me some time.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So...I added 2 ounces of Shudder Fixx to my 8HP70 and after 24 hours, it has eliminated the shudder and locking/unlocking at cruise!!!!!!! This stuff is a miracle worker.

I realize this is a temporary band-aid, but still, for $10 it bought me some time.

I am gonna give it a try as well. I have had this shudder for a few years and the fluid replacement hasn't stopped it. If it will prolong the inevitable a little longer that is okay with me.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have the 8 speed, but mine did it right before I changed the fluid. I went with redline atf and it stopped mine. Its a lot smoother shifting. I wonder if it would stop the clunking I occasionally get in my LS work truck. It just started doing it as well.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I am gonna give it a try as well. I have had this shudder for a few years and the fluid replacement hasn't stopped it. If it will prolong the inevitable a little longer that is okay with me.
rickjkline, I was extremely skeptical about 'shudder fixx' and I had already picked out my new torque converter from Moe's, because I was certain it would not work. However, I was completely shocked after 24 hrs.

I can't explain it...and I have no idea how long it will last, but I can confirm I no longer have a) the shift shudder or b) the lock/unlock issue at cruise.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
rickjkline, I was extremely skeptical about 'shudder fixx' and I had already picked out my new torque converter from Moe's, because I was certain it would not work. However, I was completely shocked after 24 hrs.

I can't explain it...and I have no idea how long it will last, but I can confirm I no longer have a) the shift shudder or b) the lock/unlock issue at cruise.
Curt, sounds great, I ordered it and hope that works for me as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll report back with my results when I get it.
I’ve had the shift shudder especially from 1st to 2nd and 3rd gear. Always hate soft shifts. I got to a point I would hammer the throttle through those to avoid that shudder feeling. Also only on up shift not down.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Rick,

FWIW, I had the Lubegard 8 fluid in the trans for about 9 months when the shudder started. I then did a fluid drain/fill with Valvoline Max ATF, but the shudder remained (no worse, no better). That's when I tried the Shudder Fixx.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick,

FWIW, I had the Lubegard 8 fluid in the trans for about 9 months when the shudder started. I then did a fluid drain/fill with Valvoline Max ATF, but the shudder remained (no worse, no better). That's when I tried the Shudder Fixx.
Curt,

Well I got the Shudder fix added to the trans and dead serious, I could tell a huge difference right away. I have been driving it for a couple of weeks to verify I wasn't crazy and it is doing awesome. The trans shifts so much smoother and no shudder. This stuff did the trick for now, no idea how long it will last but i love driving my truck again..
Many thanks for the recommendation.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thread for us with the 70. All I can contribute so far is a 10 k oil change with amsoil and now at 14k and it seems to be handle the extra 150 hp with solid shifting,I was promised a trans tune but still waiting,was told it was needed to switch from the canned tune to one with a methanol system added.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Excellent news gents. my 8HP70 is still shifting great 7 weeks after using SHUDDER FIXX. I'll update this post when the trans starts shuddering again (I know it will...I just don't know when)

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m finding references to two part numbers available for a “Lube Guard Shudder Fixx” transmission-fluid additive, 19610 and 19689. Which one are y’all using?

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5 weeks in and still no shudder and smooth shifting..... I am happy until it starts again, IF it does... LOL

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am about 8 weeks in with mine and no shuddering. Lubeguard shudder fix is where its at.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Maybe we should start a pol to quantify the positive results by "weeks without a re-occurance"

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not a miracle. Probably the new fluid that was used didn't have quite the right additive pack it needed ...even though it supposedly was supposed to have. Or it didn't mix well with some of the fluid which was still in the trans before (or varnishes which mixed in the fluid). Obviously the shudder fix which is a sort of a friction-modifier, adjusted the fluid accordingly.

I've (and many others) have experienced shudder in different ways, and different vehicles. One time (for me) after replacing tranny fluid with Havoline fluid. Shudder occurred. I removed Havoline and and went with a different brand Trans fluid that HAD anti-shudder compound in it, the shudder went away. I've also used a different additive pack too on a different vehicle in the past and had it eliminated the shudder. Transmissions never failed. Just one of those things.

You'll probably never have a problem with your tranny. I wouldn't lose any sleep. Thanks for posting back your experience. Good to know for all Ram owners.

Question: Just imagine how many car/truck owners had their trans fluid changed, shudder occurred, and they ended up trading the vehicle in (for new), or bought a new transmission thinking it was failing?!!

rsfdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the trans isn't failing even though it is shuddering at shifts?
I noticed an RPM bump and shudder every 3 seconds at 50mph and low rpm when trans temp is cold too.
Ordering the shudder fix stuff.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Rsfdiver,

My trans was doing the exact same as yours. $10 and 1 tube of shudder fix and it shifts like butta, and no more ram bump every xx seconds at cruise.

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m finding references to two part numbers available for a “Lube Guard Shudder Fixx” transmission-fluid additive, 19610 and 19689. Which one are y’all using?
OK, looks like it is the 19610 version.

Last edited:

xmrennells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The only approved fluid for the new 8-speeds is ZF's lifeguard 8 (I believe) fluid, which is likely rebranded as Mopar and sold at the dealership. Officially RAM says the new trucks have a lifetime fill and don't need fluid changes, so I doubt any dealerships are doing enough fluid changes to keep bulk fluid around.
Valvoline maxlife aft4 says that is services the zf8 trannies as well as several others. I don't have the link right now but if you pull up the aft4 pdf it lists all the transmissions that it works with

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Valvoline maxlife aft4 says that is services the zf8 trannies as well as several others. I don't have the link right now but if you pull up the aft4 pdf it lists all the transmissions that it works with
Equivalent to and approved for are different. Mopar could probably deny you warranty coverage for using a fluid that was only equivalent and not the full approval.