Ignition switch won’t go to off postition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAvet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi.
Hi all,
First post, please go easy on me! I have a 2019 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Previously, a few times, I would turn off my truck and instead of the ignitition switch going to off, it goes to accessory position, if I hit it again, less and less it might go to off but now almost exclusively it goes to the start/run position and then I have to start the truck. Previously when this has happened, I would start that truck, put it in drive or reverse, might move it slightly and at that time I could shut off the engine and the switch would go to “off”. The truck has 70,000 miles on it, seems to happen in spurts, the problem now is there is no amount of playing with the shift non, moving it etc that will make it go to the off postition.
I have had it into the dealership for this a few times, the first couple I got the old ” we could not get it to do it” The last couple they have seen the problem, they currently have a fault code they are going to chase the next time in the dealership. I don’t have a lot of faith in this dealership, it is where i purchased the truck but my experience is that all dealerships ( including other manufacturesa) are like this.
When it occurs now, if I disconnect the battery, even for a few seconds, it goes to off and I’m good. I have seen other posts on the same problem but no one comes back with what worked for them that i could find. Anyone have issues like this, anything I could get the dealership to look at? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Through another customer & dealership incident, i learned that you never do more then ask if they tried certain fixes.

After trying a few times to fix a certain issue with a customers vehicle, the customer indirectly told the Service Adviser what to do.
The Service Adviser did what the customer said & it did not fix the issue & when the customer was finally billed, he was charged for time & parts, that were incurred.

When talking to the SA, just asked them if they tried this or that.
Never tell them what should be done.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you making sure it’s in park? If not it will not turn off

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trucks with the electronic shifters will automatically shift to park if you turn the key off without shifting to park.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,
First post, please go easy on me! I have a 2019 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. Previously, a few times, I would turn off my truck and instead of the ignitition switch going to off, it goes to accessory position, if I hit it again, less and less it might go to off but now almost exclusively it goes to the start/run position and then I have to start the truck. Previously when this has happened, I would start that truck, put it in drive or reverse, might move it slightly and at that time I could shut off the engine and the switch would go to “off”. The truck has 70,000 miles on it, seems to happen in spurts, the problem now is there is no amount of playing with the shift non, moving it etc that will make it go to the off postition.
I have had it into the dealership for this a few times, the first couple I got the old ” we could not get it to do it” The last couple they have seen the problem, they currently have a fault code they are going to chase the next time in the dealership. I don’t have a lot of faith in this dealership, it is where i purchased the truck but my experience is that all dealerships ( including other manufacturesa) are like this.
When it occurs now, if I disconnect the battery, even for a few seconds, it goes to off and I’m good. I have seen other posts on the same problem but no one comes back with what worked for them that i could find. Anyone have issues like this, anything I could get the dealership to look at? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.
Wonder if your ignition switch is going bad? It’s probably a cheap piece to try swapping to see if it fixes the issue

DaPurrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-Torque
Yes, the shifter will go to park, but the IGN will stay on ACC when this happens. Try it and you will see.... likely the OPs problem.

OP
OP
L

LAvet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi.
So I dropped the truck off last week, I could not drop it off this week. They worked on it Monday and Tuesday, the truck cooperated and would not go to off. After talking to some one at RAM, they looked at the ground wires (3?) to the frame and one was loose and two had corrosion. I also purchased a new battery, the old one had been drained enough that I was uncomfortable with it. So, I have had the truck one day and so far so good. Turns off like it should so at this point I’m happy, I will circle back in a couple of weeks, that will tell the story. I will let you all know. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
L

LAvet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi.
Well, it lasted three days and truck is back not turning off. It had worked well over the weekend and this evening when I was meeting people for dinner, it would not shut off. I got it to shut off after driving around the parking lot and muttering under my breath, and it did it again when I go home so the problem has not be fixed. I guess try another dealer, I give it another day to see if goes back to full time not going to the off position. Anyways, other to take it back to the dealer any other thoughts on this. I guess I’m not surprised that its not working again. Worst part is I can’t trust it now. Ugh!! Don’t know what to do now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If your Ram is still under warranty, make sure which ever dealer you choose to go to, write it up on the work order in detail !

Good Luck

Mfjhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, it lasted three days and truck is back not turning off. It had worked well over the weekend and this evening when I was meeting people for dinner, it would not shut off. I got it to shut off after driving around the parking lot and muttering under my breath, and it did it again when I go home so the problem has not be fixed. I guess try another dealer, I give it another day to see if goes back to full time not going to the off position. Anyways, other to take it back to the dealer any other thoughts on this. I guess I’m not surprised that its not working again. Worst part is I can’t trust it now. Ugh!! Don’t know what to do now.
What was the end result with this issue? Did it get resolved?

Stephen burke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having the same problem with my 19 ram 1500 With the 5.7 hemi engine I took mine to the dealer also wouldn't I do it when they had it. Has not done it in months today I get home from work and it will not go to the off position

Bulldog46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
To OP....
Same thing just happened to me, 2016 Ram1500 Sport 5.7Hemi. It is in the dial selector. I had the same issue, turn dial to park, key fob will not go past Acc position. I ordered a new Dial selector unit to replace, but in the meantime was sitting there staring at it in the truck.. Then it hit me, I started the truck, put it in drive, turned the key off. The ECM/BCM then automatically will move the transmission and selector to park. This released the key to go to off and remove the key. I am not sure if this will happen again and I need to replace the selector yet. But, at least now I dont need a 14mm socket in the truck to disconnect the battery!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To OP....
Same thing just happened to me, 2016 Ram1500 Sport 5.7Hemi. It is in the dial selector. I had the same issue, turn dial to park, key fob will not go past Acc position. I ordered a new Dial selector unit to replace, but in the meantime was sitting there staring at it in the truck.. Then it hit me, I started the truck, put it in drive, turned the key off. The ECM/BCM then automatically will move the transmission and selector to park. This released the key to go to off and remove the key. I am not sure if this will happen again and I need to replace the selector yet. But, at least now I dont need a 14mm socket in the truck to disconnect the battery!

FYI, the OP hasn't been online since August of last year.

Screenshot_20231205-221509_Vivaldi Browser.jpg