IMPORTANT FOR AMSOIL AND AMSOIL FILTER USERS 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think Amsoil is worded kind of odd. It does not actually say it meets the ms-12633 specs it simply says use this oil for vehicles that take that oil. It just seems strange to me.

thomas5853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have been using Amsoil and the EA50 filter since new and no issues. I guess once I finish the case of filters I bought I will have to see what is recommended 90c610cefe9242251c397adb2e807764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Amsoil SS 0-40 is MS-12633 certified. Look at the data bulletin on their website under “Applications” page 4.
https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

I have been using the EA15K50 since my truck was new in 2017. I have just recently changed to the EA017 filter. No problems with either filter. The longer one is a bit tougher to install as its a tighter fit (that’s what she said). I change my oil once a year, but I typically drive this truck <10K per year.

WIX actually makes the Amsoil filters per their specs. I used a filter for an F-250 for my old 5.7 hemi as it was considerably larger like the 017 filter.

You misread. It's not MS-12633 certified. It's formulated to meet manufacturer specifications. AMSOIL has never been API or otherwise certified. Same with Red Line until they released their Professional Series of oils that are API certified.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only oils Amsoil offers that are API certified are the OE and XL lines. The SS is not API certified.

As for any of them being MS certified, none of them are actually "certified". SS most likely exceeds the MS specs since it's not really a hard spec to meet. It just requires a lot of money and 2 years of tests before they can be MS certified and I'm sure Amsoil, Redline, Mogul, etc know their oils exceed the spec and don't feel it's worth the time/expense.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only oils Amsoil offers that are API certified are the OE and XL lines. The SS is not API certified.

As for any of them being MS certified, none of them are actually "certified". SS most likely exceeds the MS specs since it's not really a hard spec to meet. It just requires a lot of money and 2 years of tests before they can be MS certified and I'm sure Amsoil, Redline, Mogul, etc know their oils exceed the spec and don't feel it's worth the time/expense.
unfortunate tho that they don't as if you have a new 6.4L you are taking a risk running it even tho it is probably great oil. while I am in warranty I won't risk it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think Amsoil is worded kind of odd. It does not actually say it meets the ms-12633 specs it simply says use this oil for vehicles that take that oil. It just seems strange to me.

i think thats how they got the name scamsoil. their marketing was ( and perhaps still is ) decieving and confusing and possiblly a out right lie in some cases. personally ive never tried amsoil. just never had any desire to do so

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
unfortunate tho that they don't as if you have a new 6.4L you are taking a risk running it even tho it is probably great oil. while I am in warranty I won't risk it.

Unfortunately this is true. Most dealers will use any means necessary to deny a warranty claim...

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
For those who wish to use a "better" filter with finer filtration and are worried that the engine is generating too many particles that a filter rated to filter 20 micron particles out. Simplely change the filter early and add a bit of oil to top of the system.
Used to be real common to change filters twice as often as the oil.
Of course we could always go way bank to when Chevy first started using oil filters and the recommendation was to change the oil filter every other oil change.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You misread. It's not MS-12633 certified. It's formulated to meet manufacturer specifications. AMSOIL has never been API or otherwise certified. Same with Red Line until they released their Professional Series of oils that are API certified.

Except API certification doesn’t really mean anything. Where does Mopar say the oil has to be API certified? Oil manufacturers have to pay to get API certified and they pay an ongoing licensing fee to use the API logo in marketing. It’s a marketing tool.

Apparently Amsoil oils don’t meet API specs because of their phosphorus content. If they reduced the phosphorus content to meet the spec it would actually reduce the performance of the oils.

I use Amsoil because my engine is significantly quieter on cold starts with it and the Wix XP filter than it was with the factory Penzoil and Mopar filter. And I don’t lose any sleep about it.

Amsoil,Penzoil,Mobil or Maple syrup your truck your money. Pour what ever you want in it.

Last edited: