In the market for 2500, gas versions make annoying noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bansheexyz

Reaction score
Hey all. I am looking for a large truck to eventually put a camper in at some point. Chevy and Ford were pretty bad in comparison I thought. Hated the jerky 10 speed, the hard seats, and louder cabins, the bumpy leafs. The ram won handily... but the ram wasn't perfect.

I test drove three v8s (2 used 2022, 1 new 2024), and all three of them made a rotational metallic whirring noise from the underside of the truck upon acceleration (none on coasting). So the noise appears to be "normal", but I'd like to confirm where it comes from. Curiously, the 2022 cummins that I test drove was silent outside of engine growl. They were all 4x4 equipped, so I suspect that the noise is coming from the 8-speed transmission, because the cummins uses a 6 speed.

Are there any other differences between the gas and diesel that could explain the noise? I've heard people say that the rear diffs can have a loose pinion nut.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The valvetrain on the hemi is pretty noisy, could be what you are hearing. I've never heard an odd noise from the 8-speed.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
May be the MDS activating? Just tossing that out there. It can be disabled.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Might want to consider the weight of the camper you plan to put in the bed. The coil springs that give the nice ride can also limit payload.

Gas usually has higher payload due the weight difference between gas and diesel engine.

Best to get enough truck now for the intended camper.

OP
OP
B

bansheexyz

Reaction score

The problem is I've never owned a diesel and it will be a few years before I get the camper. There will be idling, lots of short trips, and I'm reading that you're not supposed to do that or the emissions equipment gets clogged with soot.

May be the MDS activating? Just tossing that out there. It can be disabled

I don't think that's the problem as MDS only activates above 25mph and the noise is occurring on all acceleration.

OP
OP
B

bansheexyz

Reaction score
I think I finally found the answer through a few more hours of googling. There is a massive thread on a different forum saying that the squeaking/whirring is coming from a design flaw in the piping of the exhaust system for the 6.4l hemi models. Someone says it is specifically the merger pipe area after the cats.

And here is a series of videos showing the before/after sound of replacing the exhaust system, which reduced the noise.

Mystery solved I guess.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I finally found the answer through a few more hours of googling. There is a massive thread on a different forum saying that the squeaking/whirring is coming from a design flaw in the piping of the exhaust system for the 6.4l hemi models. Someone says it is specifically the merger pipe area after the cats.

And here is a series of videos showing the before/after sound of replacing the exhaust system, which reduced the noise.

Mystery solved I guess.
I dont see anything in that Video link that seems like a before video, but I think I know what sound you are talking about after watching one of those videos on HD Rams. I guess I assumed that particular noise was just the exhaust noise in the muffler.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Is this is the noise you are talking about?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think that's the problem as MDS only activates above 25mph and the noise is occurring on all acceleration.
You would need to show me a link to that data as I have never heard that.

OP
OP
B

bansheexyz

Reaction score

Is this is the noise you are talking about?

Not sure but it's pretty close to what is on this video at 1:20 as he walks around the truck. Sounds like a rhythmic squeaking, like a dying serpentine belt I guess. But we know it's not a belt because the noise comes from the underside.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure but it's pretty close to what is on this video at 1:20 as he walks around the truck. Sounds like a rhythmic squeaking, like a dying serpentine belt I guess. But we know it's not a belt because the noise comes from the underside.

Thats the same noise. I read through the whole HD rams thread and everyone agreed it's just exhaust noise. Neither y pipe nor mufflers made any difference. Curious if headers is the answer or something with the cats.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2021 Power Wagon with the 6.4 does it too. But just at warm up, it’s not long. I complained about it right after I bought it and had a meeting with a head mechanic and he said the same as what you are reading. We went to another 6.4 on the lot and started it up, same thing. I got over it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Might want to consider the weight of the camper you plan to put in the bed. The coil springs that give the nice ride can also limit payload.

Gas usually has higher payload due the weight difference between gas and diesel engine.

This exactly. I have toyed with a truck camper with my 2500 6.4l which has a very decent 3k available payload (2500 after adding people, pets, and gear). The number of truck campers I can support isn't that great and are fairly bare bones units, and if I had added a diesel in the mix that would have limited me to some small soft sided pop ups. Highly recommend a 3500 dually for capacity and stability with a truck camper.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2021 Power Wagon with the 6.4 does it too. But just at warm up, it’s not long. I complained about it right after I bought it and had a meeting with a head mechanic and he said the same as what you are reading. We went to another 6.4 on the lot and started it up, same thing. I got over it.
Same with my 2023 Mega Cab. Not enough to bother me...besides, my radio has a volume knob that goes to 11.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

Mystery solved I guess.
I have never heard of that , but I am of the age where I can turns my ears down.
Few yrs ago I got my first set of hearing aids and heard a squeak in the dash of my 2010. So I drive a 2014 now. Problem with that one it has a built in nagger in the nav system, I did not need 2.
Straight pipes would fix it I suppose, but these days lawyers cost too much.