Inconsistent RainSense Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just bought a 2020 Ram Limited used, and for about a month now in the middle of monsoon season in Louisiana I’ve noticed the rain sense wipers are inconsistent. Example— Driving 35 mph and during light rain, I get a significant buildup of water droplets on the windshield before it will actually wipe. Other times, I’ll get tiny specs on the windshield and it will wipe like it’s supposed to. I currently have sensitivity set to the max. I am the guy that likes a wipe almost immediately when water hits the windshield.

Just seems like even when it’s set to max, it will take too long to wipe. Rarely, will it wipe at the moment it should.

I’ve had vehicles in the past with rainsense, but this truck just doesn’t respond like my vehicles in the past or even my wife’s current vehicle.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Maybe software or a flaky sensor?
Vehicle appears to have factory windshield as it has the Ram logo at the bottom of windshield.

Thanks in advance!

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my 9th vehicle with rain sense. I don't remember one that was consistent. That includes a couple Chrysler 300Cs, Jeep SRTs to several Ram Limiteds.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Just like the Auto-High beams, I feel I'm constantly chasing it and might as well just do it myself.

It'll kick on with literally nothing on the windshield, sunny day.. another time it can be raining pretty good and nothing.. Though my F150 was the same way.. so maybe the tech isn't there yet?

OP
OP
jdolotina

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My wife has a ‘16 Yukon and I had a ‘16 Ford Fusion both with RainSense and yes, occasionally they had hiccups, but worked pretty good. I’ve also owned a 2013 Ram with RainSense and it worked great as well. The 2020 consistently works inconsistently. If that makes any “sense”. :)

OP
OP
jdolotina

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just like the Auto-High beams, I feel I'm constantly chasing it and might as well just do it myself.

It'll kick on with literally nothing on the windshield, sunny day.. another time it can be raining pretty good and nothing.. Though my F150 was the same way.. so maybe the tech isn't there yet?

Ah yes, the auto high beams... Mine work great, but pushing the stalk forward to the dash to activate is kind of annoying. I’ve got short fingers, so leaving the stalk forward is a bit of a reach when using a turn signal. If it’s activated in the Uconnect settings, it should just automatically happen.