Installed the Kicker SRAMCQ09...question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Replaced stock Alpine sub woofer with the Kicker SRAMCQ09...dialed the bass back on the factory equalizer, but am still getting some unwanted mid-bass frequencies through the sub woofer.

Any one else have this issue?

Is a passive crossover the solution?

OP
OP
InspectGWS

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Answered my own question...

Took the sub out - and there is NOTHING in the enclosure - for tight, well defined bass, every enclosure should be at least half full of THICK AIR (polyfil)...this addition itself helps this sub perform alot better...

From what I can tell, the amplifier low pass crossover is 200 Hz - too high imo for a 10 Kicker Solobaric subwoofer...so I added two 100 Hz passive crossovers (dual 2 ohms voice coils)...left them right in the sub enclosure.

RESULTS = with the factory equalizer back to normal levels, mid bass comes over the factory speakers and the sub is providing tight, well defined bass for everything 100 Hz and lower...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Reason is it's to blend with the crossover points of just 6x9 door speakers.
That sub is an OEM 1 ohm sub, so a little different than the Solobaric L7 series.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Replaced stock Alpine sub woofer with the Kicker SRAMCQ09...dialed the bass back on the factory equalizer, but am still getting some unwanted mid-bass frequencies through the sub woofer.

Any one else have this issue?

Is a passive crossover the solution?

The crossover point can't be adjusted? That is a huge failure IMO and 200hz is really high as you pointed out. In my Silverado, my crossover points were at <75 for 10" sub and 65+ for mids.

I just got a 2014 Ram for Xmas and I am waiting for the Powerstage system to be updated for it as the factory plug n play was something I was looking for but if I can't set X-over points to suit my tastes I may have to rethink my options.

OP
OP
InspectGWS

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The crossover point can't be adjusted? That is a huge failure IMO and 200hz is really high as you pointed out. In my Silverado, my crossover points were at <75 for 10" sub and 65+ for mids.

I just got a 2014 Ram for Xmas and I am waiting for the Powerstage system to be updated for it as the factory plug n play was something I was looking for but if I can't set X-over points to suit my tastes I may have to rethink my options.

The 100 HZ passive crossovers I added and the potentiometer I added to adjust the signal that feeds the amp worked wonders...cost was maybe around $30...and I now love the upgrade.

You could add an active crossover, but to accommodate the plug-n-play wiring, you will have to convert the wires from high level to low level and then back to high level...also not at all difficult to do...I did this to install the bass potentiometer knob...

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help with crossovers

First- thank you for posting this. I finished my install this weekend and was rather disappointed with the output. It is rather flabby. I will fill the enclosure with poly but need your help on what passive crossovers to buy and how to install them. thanks again!

The 100 HZ passive crossovers I added and the potentiometer I added to adjust the signal that feeds the amp worked wonders...cost was maybe around $30...and I now love the upgrade.

You could add an active crossover, but to accommodate the plug-n-play wiring, you will have to convert the wires from high level to low level and then back to high level...also not at all difficult to do...I did this to install the bass potentiometer knob...

OP
OP
InspectGWS

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
First- thank you for posting this. I finished my install this weekend and was rather disappointed with the output. It is rather flabby. I will fill the enclosure with poly but need your help on what passive crossovers to buy and how to install them. thanks again!

FLABBY - excellent description of how the sub sounds initially from Kicker...

You will need two of these:

Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males - Black/Red: Electronics

And two of these, I went with 120 Hz, you can probably find 100 Hz or lower if you like:

Amazon.com: Nippon HC-101 4 Ohm 1 channel 400w 120 Hz Low pass Subwoofer Crossover: MP3 Players & Accessories

And something like this, not necessarily this one...pretty much every car audio shop on earth carries these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EEP3WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Order this stuff up and sometime over this next week I will write a mini-novel on the install...I promise it is pretty easy...

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Amazon.com: IEC 18 AWG 6' Speaker Wire Pair with RCA Males - Black/Red: Electronics

And two of these, I went with 120 Hz, you can probably find 100 Hz or lower if you like:

Amazon.com: Nippon HC-101 4 Ohm 1 channel 400w 120 Hz Low pass Subwoofer Crossover: MP3 Players & Accessories

And something like this, not necessarily this one...pretty much every car audio shop on earth carries these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EEP3WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Order this stuff up and sometime over this next week I will write a mini-novel on the install...I promise it is pretty easy...

Yes but the SubStage is an $700 system and the PowerStage is $1250 and should have the ability to change x-over points for that kind of money, not to mention .50 cents worth of polyfill..lol

Keep me posted, I am still not sure which route to take.

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but the SubStage is an $700 system and the PowerStage is $1250 and should have the ability to change x-over points for that kind of money, not to mention .50 cents worth of polyfill..lol

Keep me posted, I am still not sure which route to take.

The SRAM09 goes for a lot cheaper than 700.00. Go to hifi and make then an offer. They are an authorized kicker dealer. I paid 414.00....

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reason is it's to blend with the crossover points of just 6x9 door speakers.
That sub is an OEM 1 ohm sub, so a little different than the Solobaric L7 series.

The sub used in this kicker upgrade is the rw10sq. Retail price $69.00. Had I known this I would have gone a different direction. Check Amazon and hifi. Exact same sub. People are overpaying for this product.

4A4E5186-7E6E-4AB9-A29C-650919935D51_zpsisxsazud.jpg

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Amazon.com : Scosche RLC Remote Level Control : Vehicle Audio Video Remote Controls : Car Electronics

Keeping the thread open for more details on the install. :cool:

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Parts are still on the way. Waiting on the covers and r a to speaker wires. I did stuff the box with Polly. Sounds better but still needs help. What is odd is that the quality is vastly improved when
Is teaming to pandora either on Bluetooth or through uconnect. Play a song from my iTunes and it sucks. The radio is even worse. I am starting to think the only way to get good sound is to invest in a processor or summing device then add amps... I wanted to avoid that but... We shall see. I a, still holding out hope for the low pass and remote bass solution. Will report back.

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Right now I get pretty good sound from Sirius/XM but I get VERY good results from simply playing high quality mp3's off a thumb drive. I am extremely happy with the sound quality doing that and I don't even have the sub yet much less the amp if it ever gets released. I have replaced the dash speakers with the Kicker KS35's and the front door speakers with the 77KICK41's. I left the back seat speakers factory. Like I said I only make very high quality mp3's.

Really looking forward to this mod if it will make the sub sound even better.

Last edited:

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U gotta go with what works for your ears.

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have not seen an update from grey goose for a while on the amp. I am not holding my breath on that release.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sorry,been at CES in vegas for 12 days, just got back.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Goose any updates? I finally bit the bullet was tired of waiting. Been purchasing components over the past month and dove in head first... Figured I owed it to myself for listening to that crappy stero for a year and a half. I bought a net audio box, his new connection harness for my helix pro DSP, a JL audio xd 1000/5, 14 ga speaker wire, over to Hybrid Audio Legatta L1v2 tweets and l1v6 6.5" in the door, with a stinger blue series 1750 amp install kit. Getting ready to install once the box is finished. Just couldn't wait for kicker anymore... I really think they blew it procrastinating should of been released long ago for these trucks, after all it's only a plug.:sleepy10:

Hookemram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Parts are still on the way. Waiting on the covers and r a to speaker wires. I did stuff the box with Polly. Sounds better but still needs help. What is odd is that the quality is vastly improved when
Is teaming to pandora either on Bluetooth or through uconnect. Play a song from my iTunes and it sucks. The radio is even worse. I am starting to think the only way to get good sound is to invest in a processor or summing device then add amps... I wanted to avoid that but... We shall see. I a, still holding out hope for the low pass and remote bass solution. Will report back.

Update- parts came in. Install was a Big fail. The remote bass level control broke during install. Thank you China for all the quality parts you flood the market with..... I struggled with the rca to speaker wire cables. At first I was not sure what to connect the two wires at the end of each rca lead. I followed my instincts.. I merged the + and - from each lead then connected the joined +and - to the + and - wires located in the 16 pin car harness. Next up.. Connected the FMOD 100 hz low pass filters to the rca male ends. The pluged the male ends of the filters to the remote level control. Next, I plugged the other rca to speaker wire male to the remaining female leads on the remote level. Last step.. Joined the pos and neg wires on the RCA to speaker wires then connected the Pos and neg. results-- with both FMOD filters attached there was a drastic degradation of sub power. With only 1 filter plugged in ,power was restored however there was no filtering. Very frustrated... Shortly after the sub level remote broke. Install done... Not sure why the FMODS failed.. But I am back to square 1.
Diagram below was provided by InspectGWS.
A77D8301-7C23-4C0B-BB69-974F31EDE374_zps4l4ef4pu.jpg