Instructions to change an 03 Hemi PCM to an 05

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If you are skim active and you want to keep the skim function then you should beable to use any 05 ram pcm that is NOT skim active. When it is plugged in it will communicate with the installed skim module and activate the pcm making it skim active. If you don't want skim active, then remove the skim module in the steering column before installing the clean non-activated 05 pcm and the pcm will remain inactive.

Oneslowram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are skim active and you want to keep the skim function then you should beable to use any 05 ram pcm that is NOT skim active. When it is plugged in it will communicate with the installed skim module and activate the pcm making it skim active. If you don't want skim active, then remove the skim module in the steering column before installing the clean non-activated 05 pcm and the pcm will remain inactive.
It’s my 1st time doing it, what will you recommend?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I like to keep things as simple as possible, so I chose non-skim. I would remove the skim module around the key and use a fresh 05 pcm that you know is clean and non-active. Be specific when you have your VIN installed and clearly state you want 05 pcm software with your 03 VIN. If your supplier is unable to comply. You can send your 05 pcm to B&G Performance or a company that understands 03/05 pcm swaps. Like Painless. I have not had any issues as I bought a NIB 05 manual trans pcm and sent it to B&G to be custom flashed. My pcm is for off road only and doesn't have emissions. I originally used Diablo CMR remote tuning and a couple years ago switched to HP Tuning which allows me to tune the truck myself. I have a stand alone 46rh trans/manual valve body that works flawlessly. Chris is alot more current on the swap than I am and a great source of info.. good luck..

Oneslowram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like to keep things as simple as possible, so I chose non-skim. I would remove the skim module around the key and use a fresh 05 pcm that you know is clean and non-active. Be specific when you have your VIN installed and clearly state you want 05 pcm software with your 03 VIN. If your supplier is unable to comply. You can send your 05 pcm to B&G Performance or a company that understands 03/05 pcm swaps. Like Painless. I have not had any issues as I bought a NIB 05 manual trans pcm and sent it to B&G to be custom flashed. My pcm is for off road only and doesn't have emissions. I originally used Diablo CMR remote tuning and a couple years ago switched to HP Tuning which allows me to tune the truck myself. I have a stand alone 46rh trans/manual valve body that works flawlessly. Chris is alot more current on the swap than I am and a great source of info.. good luck..
Will I need the pcm and the harness? And Thks for helping me out boss, I’m just new to this so if I ask dumb questions my bad lol.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
No problem we were all new when we started.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think painless does both a pcm and harness as a package.

Oneslowram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not 100% sure, but I think painless does both a pcm and harness as a package.[/QUOTE
I'm not 100% sure, but I think painless does both a pcm and harness as a package.
painless sell as a package?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hotwireauto will take your existing 03 harnesses (eng & trans) and modify them so they plug into the 05 PCM. I told Chris he should just offer a plug and play kit, with and without PCM but I guess wasn't worth it lol.

Michael blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seem to remember a typo on the pin-out where the plug number is called out wrong. Something like c1-32 is called out twice where as one of them is actually c2-32 . Chris has done his swap more recently than I did mine so he probably recalls it better than I. I swapped mine july 2015... here it is...View attachment 150784
Hey quick question, so on tcm pin 46 get spliced onto c1 pin 26 ?? And tcm pin 7 gets spliced on c1 pin 37 ?? Just want to make sure? The instructions say add but I assume he means splice to it

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
Hey quick question, so on tcm pin 46 get spliced onto c1 pin 26 ?? And tcm pin 7 gets spliced on c1 pin 37 ?? Just want to make sure? The instructions say add but I assume he means splice to it

Did u ever figure this out? Im busy now and noticed the same thing..