Integrated Trailer Brake Controller Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Urban4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone,

I just picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport a month ago.

I do enjoy the truck but there seems to be an issue with stopping my trailer.

The brakes on the trailer dont seem to actuate when the brake is pressed or when sliding the trailer brake controller buttons.

The truck came from the factory with the towing package and the ITBC.

When I hook it up to the wifes chevy it will work and it also works with my friends 2016 2500
Powerwagon.

There is no corrosion in the trailer plug and it is a 2015 load trail.

I have tried setting the gain all the way up as well as going through the screens and have tried all the trailer brake settings in the truck.

There is no warnings/ DTC's that would indicate a problem.

When I slide the trailer brake controller the brake lights do come on but no braking happens.

All lights on the trailer work as well.

When i hit the brakes the braking power changes as well in the cluster.

If i unplug the trailer while the truck is running I do get the red circle with the red slash through it and the trailer icon behind it.

Any ideas before I take it back to the dealer?

Thank you!

OP
OP
U

Urban4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any idea of which fuse? I looked through the owners manual as well as the graphic on PDM under the hood and couldn’t find one listed.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I dont know if it works this way on the 1500, but my '17 2500 has a setting in the uconnect where you can adjust the weight of the trailer. I pulled a 32' trailer and experienced exactly what you described. After I changed the setting from a light trailer to a heavy one, the brakes worked as they should. It was a night and day difference. Check settings in your uconnect for trailer brake setting. I assume there is one in the 1500's.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
on my son's 2017 there was mismatch between the truck plug and the wiring on the trailer. he had to flip two wires to different pins to match his trailer wiring and then all good. maybe check plug wire with volt meter

OP
OP
U

Urban4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@kiloRAM thanks for the idea but it did not work, its like it does no braking at all. I can put the truck in drive and let it idle and slowly roll and grab the controller and she just keeps picking up speed.

@runamuck I will check that out thanks for the idea!

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@kiloRAM thanks for the idea but it did not work, its like it does no braking at all. I can put the truck in drive and let it idle and slowly roll and grab the controller and she just keeps picking up speed.

@runamuck I will check that out thanks for the idea!
Did you figure this problem out?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
still sounds like a connection problem to me. there are guides online that show which connectors in the 7-way do what. you might try checking the outlet with a volt meter to see if you get output from the correct prongs of the connector. my son's '17 ram 1500 was wired incorrectly for his 26' kz connect travel trailer. that would also tell you if the built-in brake controller was ending a signal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock