Integrated Trailer Brake Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my new '14 1500 Lonestar in December. It had the trailer wiring / receiver hitch, but no brake controller. Based on the forum advice, I bought the Mopar controller on-line, and installed it. I took it to the STEALERSHIP (AutoNation in Spring Tx) to have it flashed.
I got a call from the service rep, telling me the tech couldn't get it to flash. He thinks there must be a cable not connected, and wanted to get authorization to open the dash and verify all the connections. I agreed, knowing all the connections were tight and installed properly.
I got a call later that afternoon saying the truck was ready.
Fast forward..
I picked it up, and checked the U-Connect screen, as per the owner's manual, looking for the "Trailer Brake" option in the "aps" screen. It's not there. I have the trailer brake indicator on the EVIC, but It was there before I installed the module. I could make the numbers on it change up or down with the keys on the newly installed controller slider /switch before I took it to the dealer.
Anyway...The dealer charged me $200.00 for 1 1/2 hours labor to "fix" the problem and flash the computer. I told them there is no trailer brake setting in the U-connect aps section. They told me that is normal on "some" models. I'm thinking BS...
So...all that to ask...Is it normal to NOT have the trailer brake settings option in my U-connect screen after the computer has been flashed?
I feel like I got ****** around by the dealer. $200.00 later, and it's not working like the owner's manual says it should.

Thanks,

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
that's weird. I have a 14 express. I had NO trailer brake settings on my EVIC prior to the install and flash, it only appeared after the flash. My head unit is a 5.0 and it has the settings for the trailer brake only since the flash, not before.

I assume you have a higher end (8.4) head unit so can't comment on that. But I still find it odd you had an EVIC setting BEFORE the flash. You sure you didn't already have the flash/program from the factory?

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's weird. I have a 14 express. I had NO trailer brake settings on my EVIC prior to the install and flash, it only appeared after the flash. My head unit is a 5.0 and it has the settings for the trailer brake only since the flash, not before.

I assume you have a higher end (8.4) head unit so can't comment on that. But I still find it odd you had an EVIC setting BEFORE the flash. You sure you didn't already have the flash/program from the factory?

I don't know if it had a factory flash or not. Yes, I have the 8.4 with Nav.
The only thing I can adjust is the up and down on the slider switch. According to the manual, I should be able to adjust the electric or hyd, and light / heavy single / multiple brake axle all through the U-connect "trailer brake" setting, which I don't have.
I was curious if others who installed the module and had it flashed had the U-connect trailer brake app after the flash???

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
F that I needs to show up in the u connect that's the only way to get it to change from light to heavy electric. There has been some reported issues with the flash on the newer trucks but they need to fix it. To me not showing up in the Uconnect isn't fully functional.

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F that I needs to show up in the u connect that's the only way to get it to change from light to heavy electric. There has been some reported issues with the flash on the newer trucks but they need to fix it. To me not showing up in the Uconnect isn't fully functional.

I agree. I argued with the service manager about it. He says it's only suppose to show up on the EVIC. He couldn't tell me how I was suppose to select the various trailer options. His version is: "It does it automatically. You don't have to set anything".
My guess is, they either don't have a clue, OR..He's trying to cover his tech's ass, for bending me over for $200.00, and still not flashing it correctly.

All I know is..It isn't right..

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Her is what it looks like on a 8.4 with Nav

03a353ff5ff65f372841ec2e0168ae88.jpg

044cbfab10510f8b47c2adadbac4c4d3.jpg

51a856078b477a725c06ff487fba6e7f.jpg

79eac98a1a56aad1c6f605d5670ce8af.jpg

88eb46dfc25b43412c6161d6837c0d66.jpg

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I agree. I argued with the service manager about it. He says it's only suppose to show up on the EVIC. He couldn't tell me how I was suppose to select the various trailer options. His version is: "It does it automatically. You don't have to set anything".
My guess is, they either don't have a clue, OR..He's trying to cover his tech's ass, for bending me over for $200.00, and still not flashing it correctly.

All I know is..It isn't right..

Maybe see what another dealer says and maybe they can bill the first dealership for it not being right?

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
I would definitely take it back to the first dealership and demand they get it right this time. There is no reason why your brake controller settings shouldn't show up in your 8.4" Uconnect screen. For $200, you paid for something that should be fully functional. They are feeding you a line of B.S.

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would definitely take it back to the first dealership and demand they get it right this time. There is no reason why your brake controller settings shouldn't show up in your 8.4" Uconnect screen. For $200, you paid for something that should be fully functional. They are feeding you a line of B.S.

The dealer has washed their hands of it. I'll have to take it to a different dealer. Which is what I'll do.
And yes, the pix above is what my owners manual shows as well. That's what I told the service manager. He still wouldn't budge.
And this is a HUGE dealership. You'd think they would know how to get it right. Guess not...

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ Huge dealership sometimes means less personal service. That's just ridiculous how they're treating this.

After calling customer service and telling them about your experience, see if you can find a smaller dealer to go to?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you go up the entire food chain at the dealership ....in person? I don't think they would want a disgruntled customer running around in their showroom.[emoji41]

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with calling RAM customer service. They are really good. Once you explain the situation to them I bet they contact the dealership to get it rectified. Most likely save you from getting out of pocket somewhere else.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I agree with calling RAM customer service. They are really good. Once you explain the situation to them I bet they contact the dealership to get it rectified. Most likely save you from getting out of pocket somewhere else.

This is very possible dealerships don't like being on chryslers bad side!

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good advice on the RAM customer service. I'll try that.
The sad thing is this...This dealership was awesome on the sales side. Quick and painless. This is the second vehicle I've bought from them. The service side sucks. After doing a google search on the dealer, it seems others have had the same experience I have with their service dept.
After dropping 37K on a new truck, I don't think it's unreasonable to want it fixed right.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not unreasonable at all. The service guys probably just "don't know what they don't know". Hopefully RAM CS will educate them on how the head unit is supposed to be updated to include the features that you have paid for. You and I have the same radio, the dealership is simply not unlocking the existing capability correctly.

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just fired off a long letter to RAM Customer Service concerning the issue. We'll see if I get a response.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd give them a call too, because they will work it right then and there. It will also allow you to explain and expand on points made in your letter to reinforce your position. You know how email is...its subject to reader interpretation.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just incredible that the dealer service dept just brushed you off. You paid for a service received half of that and they said see ya. Hope RAM CS makes things right, keep us updated.

OP
OP

14_Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK guys, an update!

After I sent my LONG letter to RAM C/S, I got a response from them. They called the dealership, and talked to the service manager. They told me to call my customer rep and make arrangements to bring the truck back in. So I did. I took it back in last Saturday morning. I waited while they let a DIFFERENT tech flash the system. Guess what??? IT WORKS NOW!!!!

And...it gets better. They shaved 1 hour off the original charge, only charging me for 1/2 hour labor. They credited my card back for the difference! To say i am pleased is an understatement.

Anyway, my issue has a happy ending. My brake controller is working as it's suppose to now. It just took a little hell raising to get it done.