Interesting video about aftermarket diff covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sounds like a good test. never been done before. but you dont have to over fill them. and what i like about them is the drain plug. and not having to open up the diff to change to oil.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Interesting, looking forward to the results. I also like the convenience of draining and refilling with the covers.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm gonna have to follow this. I had NO idea about overfill or even the high temp the rear end runs at. Very interesting!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I see how overfill & underfill would affect temp but not extended capacity.
Aluminum cover will dissipate heat faster than steel also, think of heat sinks, they are not made of steel.

Graph.gif

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
No matter what the findings I’m still going to purchase & install the PML design.
Only 1/2qt more the Stock & the inside Shell is similar to stock design so refill will be right @ 4qts.

I’m mainly installing a new cover for the drain plug which makes for fast mess free service.
30 min tops & my AAM 11.5” is ready for the towing season.

F0EC4A77-7C72-46A8-AF72-A890E9731698.jpeg

It’s ridiculous AAM didn’t install a drain plug into the Differential Itself like ZF did with the 1500s.

Mr Banks is really thinking outside the Box! I really like it!

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
It sounds like his biggest concern is fluid level. He keeps referencing drowning the gear in fluid.

Im more curious at the motives of these tests. For what purpose are they trying to prove?

I do find it interesting that both in the video and on their website they go after aFe as a competitor.

Regardless Banks makes some amazing aftermarket pieces for the diesel market.

I'm definitely intrigued to see what the outcome will be.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Fascinating

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the level when parked and running is different. adding more fluid even if at the same level parked might give a different level while running since the flow in the diff is different
I dont understand how adding more fluid at the correct level would raise temps. I can see how overfilling or under filling could.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So how long tell the next vid? And how many vids will there be?

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
These aftermarket covers have been around forever. If they caused issues, we would all know about it..

Not necessarily, the differences can be minute and even if they weren’t. To prove it caused damage would be difficult as it’s not going to be happening over night.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessarily, the differences can be minute and even if they weren’t. To prove it caused damage would be difficult as it’s not going to be happening over night.

You rarely hear see or experience anything grenade from the rear unless you're drag racing every weekend.

However something can always be learned. I'll stay tuned to see the outcome

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
The guy is a scientist in trade and in heart. His vids are well done, and (it's on Youtube) you can see with the plastic diff cover how the lube moves in the housing. He makes some excellent observations....

BUT... how long before Banks releases a line of conforming aftermarket diff covers. No one does this amount of research altruistically. Call me cynical, call me a d_ck. Hell, call me anything you want, but NEVER late for dinner.