Intermittent serv 4wd( any help?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello friends, still working on intermittent serv 4wd light.
2017 outdoorsman 3.6
Just got a bluedriver to pull chassis codes. Codes below. Any advice where to go after this? Change TC motor or more trouble shooting?
Any questions about parameters of intermittent serv 4wd light just ask me. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_3823.png
    IMG_3823.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 9

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wild shot... try spraying the harness plug out with brake cleaner? The plug on the 5th gen for the 4x4 actuator sits almost directly below the oil filter on the hemi, oil changes are notorious for being very messy and used oil can seep into the actuator plug on the harness and mess things up.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wild shot... try spraying the harness plug out with brake cleaner? The plug on the 5th gen for the 4x4 actuator sits almost directly below the oil filter on the hemi, oil changes are notorious for being very messy and used oil can seep into the actuator plug on the harness and mess things up.
Thanks! Yeah I’ve been working on this for a while. I have unconnected all 4x4 component connections cleaned and dielectric grease added.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok i cleared those codes and did a test drive, same two codes came back.

A little more background my serv 4wd light comes on when key is in run before i start truck and stays on when started. It stays on while backing out my long driveway. When shifting into drive it will clear itself after a few seconds then comes on randomly rest of day. Sometime 1-2 times on low end to 20-30 times a day. Cruise works while its on, but cannot use 4x4 while its on, when off 4x4 works perfectly.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for that transmission code, could that be from ordering 3.55 gears as option and the tcm not programmed for gear change? Unless the tranny code is tied to the TC motor code.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmmm i took one more stab at cleaning and checking connections at tccm and the transfer case motor with a hard reset and still serv 4wd code when key turned… full module scan again with same two codes.. guess im going to order motor for $99 and give it a shot… 33% chance i figure. Gotta be either motor or wires or tccm.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you know someone who has a better scan tool, like a Snap-on, or AlfaOBD, then they can do a test and actuate the actuator to see if it works or fails. AlfaOBD is THE software for these Rams. Figure around $200 for the AlfaOBD and MX+ bluetooth dongle..... (Android or Windows). I wonder if you can unhook your transfer cases motor and ground it and see if it is working? There could be an end-switch in it which is reading faulty even if the motor works fine. And that might make sense ....the computer isn't getting a consistent signal telling it what position the Xfer case is in. (just a theory).

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May jinx myself but what the hey.
My new shift motor is in transit so i took old one out. It had serv 4wd light on before I pulled it out… on bench it had 6.5 ohms across motor wires, should be lower then 2.5 ohms.
Put 12v on it and just clicked. Took it apart and looked ok so put it back together and it worked with 12v smoothly and had only 1 ohms across motor.
So im guessing that the motor was hanging up intermittently and causing the random serv 4wd light..
Of course I won’t be sure till new motor is in! Fingers crossed.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Brush type motor? If so brushes and commutator can get dirty or a brush will stick in the holder.

Otherwise perhaps just a loose connection or broken winding.

Plenty of times I’ve fixed -at least temporarily- similar equipment merely by disassembling and cleaning.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brush type motor? If so brushes and commutator can get dirty or a brush will stick in the holder.

Otherwise perhaps just a loose connection or broken winding.

Plenty of times I’ve fixed -at least temporarily- similar equipment merely by disassembling and cleaning.
Yes its just a brushed motor. Looked clean so maybe it was a hung up brush that fixed itself when i put it back together?

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha ha figures.., box from Amazon shows up damaged but it looked ok. Installed and no good. Set tons of codes and even lost lights on 4x4 switches… think it was messed up from drop or just because it was a $99 china knock off,, lol
Put old one back in and no codes and works like new.. sending crap one back. At least i know what the problem is and if and when old one acts up i’ll pay more for the doorman unit from rock auto.,, cheers friends

Attachments

• IMG_3827.jpeg
    IMG_3827.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or sure ....now that'll be the one they rebox & send me ..next time I order one! :D

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
did you ever check that the motor works, that would be my take after checking voltage to the motor, not that I have ever worked on this one. check all the wiring .

OK I just read some more and see you have checked the motor.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking 3 possibilities:

1) The motor just got 'stuck' from lack of use. That happens on motors, but not very common. You see that in rear power windows sometimes.

2) There's a multi-poisiton switch inside, and maybe even an end-switch which tells the computer what position the motor is at. And a little corrosion or grit making a poor contact and therefore the computer wasn't seeing what it was expecting during the initial self-test of the systems.

3) The motor was 'stuck' and since it wasn't moving, the computer read higher than normal amps differential, and sent an error.

These are just hunches. I'm sure the faults are well-articulated in the service manual.