iPhone incompatible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Really? In this day and age how can anything be incompatible with anything? Anyone have a solution?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jacamp

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My iPhone works just fine with my Uconnect..... what can't you get working???
Text reader. My friend just purchased her Ram and her iphone isnt compatible with the text reader.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is more then likely the problem.... 99% of the time. Mine didn't work until I did this.

Most likely in the UConnect setting on your phone. Go to settings, then bluetooth, then click on the "i" next to uconnect and make sure "show notifications" is turned on. This resets everytime to pair your phone.

OP
OP
Jacamp

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is more then likely the problem.... 99% of the time. Mine didn't work until I did this.

Most likely in the UConnect setting on your phone. Go to settings, then bluetooth, then click on the "i" next to uconnect and make sure "show notifications" is turned on. This resets everytime to pair your phone.
Thank you!! I will pass on the info to her. [emoji16]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Text reader. My friend just purchased her Ram and her iphone isnt compatible with the text reader.

What exactly are you trying to do? When you say “text reader”, Are you talking about that cheesy text reader whenever you have your phone plugged in to the Apple CarPlay through USB and the radio actually voices your text messages, and prompts you to voice your reply text? If so, that’s just an Apple CarPlay thing. Make sure your friend has her Apple CarPlay enabled. What iPhone does she have? On my 8+, click on settings, click on general, then click on CarPlay. It will show up as Uconnect under My Car if it’s all hooked up right. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Jacamp

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had sent her a text and was trying to explain that she could reply. She went home and read her book and said it was incompatible. I will find out what iphone she has and let you know. I prefer android. [emoji12]
Thank you so much.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had sent her a text and was trying to explain that she could reply. She went home and read her book and said it was incompatible. I will find out what iphone she has and let you know. I prefer android. [emoji12]
Thank you so much.

Find out which iPhone she has also.... mine's an 8 and it works just fine. You can't send texts from the radio with the iPhone unless you use the Siri function. That's more then likely what she is reading that won't work.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That’s just only for notifications to your phone from whatever Bluetooth device is connected.

I’ve never checked that “allow notifications” switch and if done improperly when trying to read a text while my phone’s plugged in, it still stops my music so that Siri can read me my text.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s just only for notifications to your phone from whatever Bluetooth device is connected.

I’ve never checked that “allow notifications” switch and if done improperly when trying to read a text while my phone’s plugged in, it still stops my music so that Siri can read me my text.

No, that's how you make it so the radio reads your text messages and let's you know when you get a message... Siri doesn't read them, the uConnect bimbo does.... and your phone doesn't need to be plugged in for it to work either.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, that's how you make it so the radio reads your text messages and let's you know when you get a message... Siri doesn't read them, the uConnect bimbo does.... and your phone doesn't need to be plugged in for it to work either.

Well I guess you got me confused now because I figured the voicing of your text messages over your radio speakers was all only done through Apple CarPlay when your phone was connected to the USB port because when I get a text while connected, and if I click on it from the lock screen, that’s when I hear some chick’s voice over my stereo speakers, reading my text out loud. Then when done, it activates Siri for me to voice my reply.

I’ve never seen what my phone, or my radio does if that “allow notifications“ switch is turned on because as I’ve said, I’ve never made sure if that was ever enabled. And I’ve never had any kind of speech to text crap turn on when my phone was just connected to my radio through Bluetooth.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I guess you got me confused now because I figured the voicing of your text messages over your radio speakers was all only done through Apple CarPlay when your phone was connected to the USB port because when I get a text while connected, and if I click on it from the lock screen, that’s when I hear some chick’s voice over my stereo speakers, reading my text out loud. Then when done, it activates Siri for me to voice my reply.

I’ve never seen what my phone, or my radio does if that “allow notifications“ switch is turned on because as I’ve said, I’ve never made sure if that was ever enabled. And I’ve never had any kind of speech to text crap turn on when my phone was just connected to my radio through Bluetooth.

You have the newer radio with Carplay, we are talking about the older radios without Carplay….

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the newer radio with Carplay, we are talking about the older radios without Carplay….

The OP hasn’t said whether it’s a CarPlay/Android Auto enabled Uconnect radio or not.....

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OP hasn’t said whether it’s a CarPlay/Android Auto enabled Uconnect radio or not.....

You are correct sir, I saw his 2017 in his signature and didn't even think about what year his friends is..... OP, what year of truck does she have???

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought you had to subscribe to uConnect service on the older models (like mine) to have text to voice. So, even if you turn on the notification on the phone, if you don't pay for the service (regular price is >$14 per month) you wont be able to use it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends upon which radio she has, which level, all dat stuff. I have a 4C non NAV in MY 2019, using and old *** I Phone 5. In order for it to work, I have to plug into front USB, Use Carplay, Turn on Location,Enable Siri, then all works.

Not sure what system in a 2017. But my 19 is Uconnect serviceable, but I do not have Uconnect, as have lower trim, the Uconnect just works things.,. and use Carplay for stuff. I tried to do Bluetooth on it for Carplay and maps, nope, had to be plugged in.

The Biggest thing on an I Phone:

Must be discoverable. Must be in system Uconnect. Must have location on (maybe just for maps). MUST have SIRI enabled (that is a biggee, cause sometimes, my Carplay does not see it and I have to turn off then back on).

All above IMHO....

ADDED:l Once I got all above in line, I can text to message and receive back and hear it. But as anybody who uses voice to text, sometimes, dat chit is goofy.,. And it will tell me when message received, and want to hear, etc... IF I had a NEWER I Phone, instead of this old *** Phone 5S, I would have more apps available, LMAO

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought you had to subscribe to uConnect service on the older models (like mine) to have text to voice. So, even if you turn on the notification on the phone, if you don't pay for the service (regular price is >$14 per month) you wont be able to use it.

Well, maybe on yours you do but on mine, the only thing I have to pay extra for is the Uconnect services which is separate from that. On mine it’s all done through the Apple CarPlay and the android auto when it’s plugged into the truck through USB.